VOGONS

Reply 20 of 20, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

It's so interesting to see LGA775 retro builds because to me, when I think LGA775, I don't think of the last generation of Pentium 4s... I think of the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad series. I think of multi-core. I think of Windows Vista. I think of 4GB of RAM. I think of the first big expansion of PCI-Express instead of AGP. I think of SATA, not IDE.

What about in 2019? Yeah, it's old, but it can still be relevant. I built my home server out of an LGA775 platform. It doesn't do much, just file server/storage and PLEX media server/storage. But it's got a Xeon E5450 (modded the BIOS microcode myself), 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM, and a couple of big hard drives (one's a 3TB WD-GREEN hard drive).

The only Core 2 Quad I have is a Q9650 that I bought for my mother's PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Q9650 faster, cooler, and more updated version of the QX6700? Like, it's 45nm instead of 65nm, it's 94 watts instead of 130 watts, it has SSE4.2 instead of being limited to SSE3, it runs at 3.0 GHz stock instead of at 2.6GHz, though I've read It's not nearly as overclockable... I can't find ANY documentation on-line about how many PCI-Express lanes these processors support. I know I have 16x on the Q9650, but nothing about the QX6700.

it is on you, what is nostalgic for you. the evolution of the pcs slowed down... it is normal, the early period was more exciting, and bigger leaps. this computer is 12-13 years old, the previous 12-13 years were much more "compressed", the usability of the computers was 1-2 years, not 5-10.

i also prefer the 90s (i started the pc in 92), as "retro" - but actually is quite easy and cheap to build this system. 10 years later? it will be much harder and more expensive - eg i am sure, the p180 and the 8800gtx will be very rare. actually i dont plan to use the socket a or this socket 775 systems, because i can run the programs from those periods on my modern pc (ryzen 2700x + 2070rtx), just simply nice to have.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene