VOGONS

Allround system (updated)

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Think I've settled with one system for late 80's, early/mid 90's games after finding the motherboard and have in this PC

The motherboard is made my Elitegroups and called UM4980

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/E/EL … 486-UM4980.html

The great thing with it is that you can set the non turbo mode speed in 16 steps all the way down to 8mhz XT mode so there's very few games this baby can't handle

p1010374ic1.jpg

Full systems spec's:

AMD 5x86 133mhz, 64mb RAM, 10 gig HDD, 6x CD-ROM, 1.44mb 3.5inch floppy, 1.2mb 5.25 inch floppy, Cardex Tseng 4000w32p VLB gfx card, Sound Blaster 16/Yamaha DB50XG, Gravis Ultrasound rev 3.4, Sound Blaster 2.0 w. CMS chips, Roland Lapc-I

Threw in the SB 2.0 for stubborn games that have hardcoded Adlib/Soundblaster IRQ7 and for CMS music support

Here's some pics of the system:

p1010371ms0.jpg

p1010368lp6.jpg

p1010366gz9.jpg

p1010363yj5.jpg

Turbo mode, notice that my CPU isn't fully recognized by Norton sysinfo

p1010375pc3.jpg

Non turbo mode, 2/16 of full system speed....perfect Wing Commander 1 speed

😁

p1010377fb1.jpg

Last edited by Amigaz on 2008-08-21, 08:16. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 51, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just look at all those yummy BIOS settings!

I had never seen a Phoenix bios first hand, only thing I heard about them was they wrote difficult to understand interfaces (can't see what they meant with that).

Award bios from that age do not have those settings, nevermind the excellent idea of making the turbo option adjustable.

Side note, disabling L1 cache or L2 cache or both also slows down a system a lot. Try benching the 5x86 once with both off.

Reply 3 of 51, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree. Very nice system...but those face plates are just butt-ugly. You should go for matching drives and face plates. Sorry, but I discriminate against ugly computers 😜

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2008-05-20, 02:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 51, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is how it was back then. Beautiful cases did not exist.

Either it is authentic or it is not.

Edit: That's not very nice. Editing after a reply makes the replier look like a (possible) fool. After your edit my comment doesn't make as much sense. The word "matching" is the key.

Last edited by samudra on 2008-05-20, 11:13. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 51, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I disagree. Hardware in the 80s and 90s was VERY beautiful. Clean and modular the way it should be. Ugliness is a byproduct of upgrading.

Reply 6 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I agree. Very nice system...but those face plates are just butt-ugly. You should go for matching drives and face plates. Sorry, but I discriminate against ugly computers 😜

When I've reached my goal...to get my Ensoniq soundscape card working along with all other cards I will change the 5.25 floppy drive and face plates to unify the look as a final touch 😁

well, PC's were ugly on mostly low quality back then compared to some other computers

Reply 7 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

When I've reached my goal...to get my Ensoniq soundscape card working along with all other cards I will change the 5.25 floppy drive and face plates to unify the look as a final touch 😁

well, PC's were ugly on mostly low quality back then compared to some other computers...and horribly ill planned designs...it's a wonder how people couöd pay the high sums for PC parts back then..I guess people didn't know what to demand from the manafacturers in the past

Reply 8 of 51, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was really just trying to be humourous about the mismatched panels. I nitpick about that sort of thing, but I completely understand it is not always easy to get matching parts.

So now for a real recommendation. I can see empty RAM sockets on that ET4000W32P. You should really fill it up so you can take advantage of the bank interleaving that card is famous for.

Also, what version of norton are you running? It looks like it is definetly later than 4.x.

Reply 9 of 51, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Oh, I disagree. Hardware in the 80s and 90s was VERY beautiful. Clean and modular the way it should be. Ugliness is a byproduct of upgrading.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and stuff. There is a definite case to be made for cases to look like this, yes. Not all cases were "one piece" even before upgrading though.

I only have to look in my memory and remember the cases of friends and people at computer clubs and this mismatching ain't that bad, heh.

The bank interleaving, yes. Amigaz that would make a difference for low resolutions as well.

Reply 10 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I was really just trying to be humourous about the mismatched panels. I nitpick about that sort of thing, but I completely understand it is not always easy to get matching parts.

So now for a real recommendation. I can see empty RAM sockets on that ET4000W32P. You should really fill it up so you can take advantage of the bank interleaving that card is famous for.

Also, what version of norton are you running? It looks like it is definetly later than 4.x.

hehe, I felt a bit of irony in your comment 😉

samudra helped me with some RAM chips but I just got corrupt gfx with them mounted so I'm trying to find the correct type at the monent because it's one of the planned upgrades and upgrade the BIOs so my 5x86 CPU is fully recognised

Reply 11 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
samudra wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and stuff. There is a definite case to be made for cases to look like this, yes. Not all ca […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and stuff. There is a definite case to be made for cases to look like this, yes. Not all cases were "one piece" even before upgrading though.

I only have to look in my memory and remember the cases of friends and people at computer clubs and this mismatching ain't that bad, heh.

The bank interleaving, yes. Amigaz that would make a difference for low resolutions as well.

damn...my holy quest now is to find matching RAM 😁

Reply 12 of 51, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be careful with those SOJs. Make sure:

-they're FPM and not EDO
-the correct density
-at least as fast as the DRAM already installed

The EDO RAMs are pretty common. The only way to know for sure if you are scavenging another card is to look up the part number in the datasheet.

Reply 14 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Forgot to mention that I'm using sysinfo from Norton Utilities 8

Reply 15 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Now that's one huge tower 😜
Which application where you using for benchmark?

Yeah, it's quite tall....I'm kind of weak for these full towers..samudra made my buy two Colani designed Highscreen towers too, hehe

This Targa tower takes full size AT boards without any probs

for what app I'm using see my above reply

Reply 16 of 51, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amigaz, when the job is finished, you can always make it more Amiga like in its look. Since after all Amigaz is a way of saying Amigas in warez. And also I know you are a cool Amiga fan, and no wonder why you love the GUS. It sounds like the Amiga sound.

Reply 18 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
samudra wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Yeah, it's quite tall....I'm kind of weak for these full towers..samudra made my buy two Colani designed Highscreen towers too, hehe

I forced him at gunpoint, people.

I would say you rather inspired me to buy them 😉

Reply 19 of 51, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

Amigaz, when the job is finished, you can always make it more Amiga like in its look. Since after all Amigaz is a way of saying Amigas in warez. And also I know you are a cool Amiga fan, and no wonder why you love the GUS. It sounds like the Amiga sound.

Actually the case reminds me a bit of the Amiga 3000T's "bulky" look

How did you know I was a GUS-freak? 😁

Playing .mod music thru the GUS rocks...I prefer the to play for example Pinball Fantasies on the PC because of the GUS plays the music with more richness
It's pretty amazing though what you can squeeze out of the Amiga's Paula custom chips which are dated way back to 1985....you can squeeze out 14bit stereo sound out of an Amiga with it's built in sound