VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 1480 of 2205, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-04-06, 04:06:

Dude, I cannot tell you how freaking amazing that is. That's the sweetest setup I've seen all my life.

Thank you.

Reply 1481 of 2205, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-04, 22:07:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/FIRE-FLARE/IMG_20200404_140105187_zpsifiksb7f.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_20200404_140105187_zpsifiksb7f.jpg

My four main PCs, from left to right:

My modern gaming beast

A backup server.

My Retro Rig.

And a laptop for looking up guides when I get stuck in games.

(The second server tower is empty, together they hold up that shelf)

I also have a small convertable laptop for displaying my modern PC's system loads, but I lent it to a friend for the time being.

I both hate this setup and and love it at the same time.

Reply 1482 of 2205, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-04-06, 20:14:

I both hate this setup and love it at the same time.

May I ask what you don't like about it?

Reply 1483 of 2205, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-06, 20:34:

Please don't take me too seriously, it as just one of those tongue in cheek 'It's so ugly that it's beautiful' type comments. Such as using a pair of old school large PC server tower cases as legs on a shelf/bench. 😜

Reply 1484 of 2205, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-04-06, 20:41:
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-06, 20:34:

Please don't take me too seriously, it as just one of those tongue in cheek 'It's so ugly that it's beautiful' type comments. Such as using a pair of old school large PC server tower cases as legs on a shelf/bench. 😜

Ah, I thought perhaps it could have been improved. If I had a wide-enough computer case I might have used that instead of the plank. 😜

Reply 1485 of 2205, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been allocated a few m³ of home space outside to indulge in my hobby. Not as crisp and clean as most here, but still a quiet place to retire from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Crib1.JPG
Filename
Crib1.JPG
File size
180.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Projects in waiting or finished projects on the shelves, spare equipment in IKEA containers. Notable systems: Dual PPro Overdrive on PR440FX with 1GB of EDO ram (second system from the right with ZIP and 5'25'' floppy drive, dual P1 233MMX (fourth system from the right, next to the grey Antec). Compaq AP550 on top of a generic black ATX case.

Crib2.JPG
Filename
Crib2.JPG
File size
151.24 KiB
Views
File license

Workplace and work-bench (wine box with a plextor drive, still need to make a hole for the Gotek. Currently a P4T533-C was running with a 2,4 ES. I was hoping to get 1GB rimms working, but unfortunately no go.

The Hercules 15" Prophetview is from 2002, we have two and both are still functional.

Crib3.JPG
Filename
Crib3.JPG
File size
220.16 KiB
Views
File license

Right side, open case, is a P3 Tualaking on ECS P6S5AT being made production ready. Underneath a spotlessly clean industrial P233MMX running Win2K reasonably well. Just barely visible is the Aquanta PII 333 on an LX integrated board, runs Magic The Gathering at spot-on speed under Win98.

crib4.JPG
Filename
crib4.JPG
File size
193.39 KiB
Views
File license

Left is my second daily, Xeon on P45 mainboard, running F@H. Right is the WinXP/-machine running on a dual P3 Tualaking Supermicro with 2 GB of ECC ram.

Reply 1487 of 2205, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-06, 21:15:

Is all that in an attic? Looks like a retro workshop.

It's just the smallest room in the attic, about 4 meters deep and at its widest, at the windowside, not even 2,5 meters across. Restriction of space is the best way to keep things in check, although I do try to cram in as much as I can.

Reply 1488 of 2205, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-06, 03:07:
It's not a computer, it's a 4-bay SCSI drive enclosure that I repurposed to let the IBM case beside it appear stock. […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-05, 18:32:

That case with the slot load drive is interesting! What is it and what's it loaded with?

It's not a computer, it's a 4-bay SCSI drive enclosure that I repurposed to let the IBM case beside it appear stock.

The enclosure now has an AT power supply inside it along with extension cables so the drives and power connectors can reach the motherboard in the IBM case.

Together they're my Retro Rig, which has DOS 6.22 and Windows 98SE on separate removable drives.

That's a really slick and creative solution. Nice!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1489 of 2205, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[Edit: eh, decided I don't feel like showing my "inner sanctum" in here after all. Unfortunately it's all coming down because I'm moving soon anyway. But big thanks to you guys who checked it out & thought I'd created something cool, much appreciated!
Normally I abhor 'dirty deleting' posts, but this was literally just a pic of my crap and didn't contain useful info for anything. Way braggier than I'd like. So gone for now. Some of you have awesome set ups in here & I'd much rather read about yours than chuff up my own.]

Last edited by xjas on 2020-05-21, 08:18. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1491 of 2205, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2020-03-31, 14:47:
chinny22 wrote on 2020-03-31, 10:04:
https://i.postimg.cc/rskHw8TN/CM15-R.jpg […]
Show full quote

CM15-R.jpg

Digging the clock radio on the right.

Wanted a flip clock and this want a bad price. case is bit ugly but the 2 light bulbs give off a nice retro warm glow
The wheel on the motor has a small crack that causes it to make too much noise to have next to the bed sadly.
Should be quick brass solder job, if I had the tools... another one day job.

imi wrote on 2020-04-04, 23:13:

that's a nice way to hold up a shelf x3

Exact same thing I thought, I think I need a pair of matching full towers now!

xjas thats some nice how much retoness can I cram into this space, can see myself with something like this when we get somewhere permanent 😀

Reply 1492 of 2205, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is my current "office" its a bit messy and as of today the Compaq is on the right and the p4 on the left. and the small Celeron is tucked away under the desk.
Resident evil 2 runs well, but the issue is that it wont read save games...… SO I cant save and load my progress.... Ill have to find a workaround for that.

My shelves are a mess right now, I dont have much space where I am so im going to have to take a lot of stuff to my moms so I can make my stuff neater.

tKBpGc5.jpg

2PW5NiS.jpg

Reply 1493 of 2205, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Law212 wrote on 2020-04-08, 22:08:

Here is my current "office" its a bit messy and as of today the Compaq is on the right and the p4 on the left. and the small Celeron is tucked away under the desk.
Resident evil 2 runs well, but the issue is that it wont read save games...… SO I cant save and load my progress.... Ill have to find a workaround for that.

My shelves are a mess right now, I dont have much space where I am so im going to have to take a lot of stuff to my moms so I can make my stuff neater.

Excellent taste in games I see!

Future Shock.gif
Filename
Future Shock.gif
File size
13.58 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1495 of 2205, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-04-07, 03:49:

Excellent setup xjax!!

chinny22 wrote on 2020-04-07, 10:50:

xjas thats some nice how much retoness can I cram into this space, can see myself with something like this when we get somewhere permanent 😀

Thanks guys! As much as I do love over-complicating my hardware setups, sometimes I look at the beast I created & wonder WTF am I doing...

Law212 wrote on 2020-04-09, 00:44:

For comparison, this was how it looked previously.

Nice trackball. 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1496 of 2205, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote on 2020-04-09, 04:45:
Thanks guys! As much as I do love over-complicating my hardware setups, sometimes I look at the beast I created & wonder WTF am […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-04-07, 03:49:

Excellent setup xjax!!

Thanks guys! As much as I do love over-complicating my hardware setups, sometimes I look at the beast I created & wonder WTF am I doing...

Law212 wrote on 2020-04-09, 00:44:

For comparison, this was how it looked previously.

Nice trackball. 😉

Haha thanks! I found it for a couple bucks at a thrift store. I dont use it anymore, but it was fun to use for a few days.

What kind of streaming do you do? I want to stream playing old games, but im not sure what I need to do it well. especially on old systems.

Reply 1497 of 2205, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote on 2020-04-07, 03:47:

Some really nice setups here all! Pretty neat to see what you guys have put together.

Since I've been running a webcam on my stream, I may as well post my "command center" for you all to enjoy facepalm at. This is where I do all my gaming/video/music production/etc. It's taken a LOT of work to get all this playing nicely together:

*snip*

Holy smokes, xjas, that's an amazing setup!

You have two moogs (?) like it aint no thing!? xD

From the looks of this you must be at least a semi-professional musician. Where can one listen to your productions?

Reply 1498 of 2205, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exact same thing I thought, I think I need a pair of matching full towers now!

You just inspired me to make good use of my 2 ProLiant 1500 MegaTowers B-)

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 1499 of 2205, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2020-04-09, 07:52:

Holy smokes, xjas, that's an amazing setup!

You have two moogs (?) like it aint no thing!? xD

From the looks of this you must be at least a semi-professional musician. Where can one listen to your productions?

Thanks! The two synths visible in the pic are Roland "Boutiques" - recreations of the classic Jupiter 8 and JX-3P. You can also see the corner of some of my full-size Yamaha FM keyboards (SY-35 & DSR-1000.)

I'm not a pro musician by any means, I mostly do stuff for the demoscene and my own projects. I've gotten paid for a couple tracks once (for an indie game that sadly seems to have been abandoned.) I have some stuff online (PM me) but it's kinda out of date, and I tend to throw sketches up there that aren't really polished. One of these days I'll get around to putting together a 'proper' EP.

Law212 wrote on 2020-04-09, 05:49:

What kind of streaming do you do? I want to stream playing old games, but im not sure what I need to do it well. especially on old systems.

I made a thread for Vogoners who want to get into streaming! Would love to see more activity on it. Honestly, just start doing it, it's fun! You don't need any kind of fancy setup or even a webcam. Just download OBS (free) and you can capture DOSBox or Virtualbox or PCEm for retro stuff. Streaming from real retro hardware is more complicated but check out the VGA capture thread for more details.

My stream link is in my sig, I'm actually going live in about half an hour (plug plug plug. 😜 )

Last edited by xjas on 2020-05-21, 08:19. Edited 1 time in total.