VOGONS

Introduction.

Topic actions

First post, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, found this site through a search, and it looks great to me, so I suppose I'd better introduce myself.

I'm "Anonymous Freak", the same name on many other forums (including Slashdot, MacRumors, 68kmla, VCForums, and a few more.) I'm a long-time geek, dating back to when my dad bought an IBM PC clone in 1986, and using Apple IIs in elementary school back in 1981.

I've always been a "hacker" (in the true sense,) doing upgrades myself to our PC clone, combined with having multiple computers in the house early. (By high school, we had the clone (A Leading Edge Model 'D',) an IBM PC/XT, a Compaq Portable II (PC/XT equivalent in "luggable" form,) a PS/2 model 30-286 (that I upgraded to a 386 with an expensive CPU upgrade that was custom just for that model,) a PS/2 P70 386 "Luggable", and a clone 486/66. (Only the original clone and the 486 clone were purchased by my parents; the rest were giveaways that were being retired by businesses.)

About 10 years ago, I started collecting vintage Macintoshes. Since then, I've expanded to other vintage computers. At present, I have somewhere over 100 vintage computers in my basement, mostly in storage pending a (long-delayed) remodel. My main vintage rigs are:
Apple IIc
Apple IIc+
Apple IIgs
Macintosh (the original, pre-"128K" nomenclature, mine has a serial number that indicates it was manufactured in December 1983!)
Macintosh SE/30
Macintosh Centris 650

IBM PC/AT
IBM PS/2 model 77 (486)
IBM "Personal Computer Power Series", a PowerPC-based "PC". Largely based on the equivalent-era RS/6000 workstation, this line used more commodity parts, like IDE instead of SCSI. Obviously, the line was a failure.
IBM ThinkPad Power Series 820. Like the PC Power Series, it's PowerPC-based. This was NOT based on an RS/6000 of any kind, but was a new design. Ironically, when the "PC Power Series" line was folded, the last model of PPC ThinkPad was rolled INTO the RS/6000 line.

NeXTstation Turbo (complete with original grayscale MegaPixel Display, external matching black CD-ROM drive, and matching black laser printer.)
SGI Indy
HP Apollo 735 - a PA-RISC 'pizza-box' workstation.

My current main rig is a dual "Nehalem" Xeon workstation, 12 GB RAM, and a GeForce 9600GT, with OS X hacked on to it. (I have a faster video card for use in Windows, but it doesn't run in OS X.)

Reply 1 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoa!! What took you so long!? Hehehe... 😁

I'm not from the welcoming committee (or something of that sort), but ... WELCOME! 😁

I remember seeing your pseudonym in some places. And I was dumbfounded why you were RE-introducing yourself untill I realized the other user is Anonymous Coward.

Anyway, you can contribute a lot to this community with your vast experience in collecting all these (g)old PCs! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome, retro computer collecting "brother" 😁

Nice collection you got there

What specs are your IBM 5170? I have one myself...the early slooow (ZZzzz) 8mhz model

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your kind is not welcome here. 😠 😠 😠 😠

🤣. jk. Welcome to the nut house. He we primarily sit around trying to make '90s hardware work almost as well as it didn't when it was new! Padded room recommended.

Reply 4 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know the full specs of the AT yet, it only had an EGA card in it when I put it in storage, and I don't have any EGA monitors. I have since gotten a VGA card for it, but I need to dig it out of storage first.

Reply 5 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

🤣. jk. Welcome to the nut house. He we primarily sit around trying to make '90s hardware work almost as well as it didn't when it was new! Padded room recommended.

🤣 !

Reply 6 of 8, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anonymous Freak: welcome to this place Sir, are you also a collector of Amigas ? or are you only a collector of 68K macs ? Just asking out of curiosity of course 😀 Oh yeah, I am the resident anti depressant quite a few places, this is one of those places. But also I am a member of other boards with this, where I am either famous or infamous . But anyway welcome on board Sir, and I hope you are going to like this place.

Reply 7 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I keep meaning to get an Amiga, (along with an Alpha and a Sun, and a....) but haven't gotten one yet. I've had a few slip through my fingers from Freecycle/Craigslist over the years.

I started out as solely a collector of 68k Macs, then 3-4 years ago expanded to early IBMs, then to "alternative" machines. (SGI, HP PA-RISC, NeXT, etc. Amiga would fall in here.) No major interest in collecting PC clones, but a few 'key' non-IBMs are on my list to get. (The original HP OmniBook, for example.)

Reply 8 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got an Amiga 2000 with 100 MB HDD and an upgrade board with a 68020 in it. I think the machine has 4MB ram. Unfortunately, I don't have mouse or keyboard. Spares anyone?

But back on topic: Not everyone is a lunatic. I am very normal. I only build these to play old games. Its the others here, who are crazy! (You hear manical laughter in the distance).

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.