VOGONS

First post, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, A few years ago, I found this thing in the closet. It was my first computer, got it in the mid-90s.

computer.jpg
ATTmonitor.jpg
nm1n3.jpg

Specs:
33MHz Cyrix Cx486DLC (with CoPro)
8MB RAM
Sound Blaster 16 VIBRA
VGA Card
Compaq Ethernet Card (only recently installed this, used to have a 56k modem)
Seagate ST3243A ~200MB HDD
CD Drive
Floppy Drive

It has been unhooked for a while, but I am considering plugging it in next to my Amiga 1000, to use for gaming, demoscene, and assembly programming purposes. The thing keeping me from doing so right now is that the only DIN/mini-DIN keyboard adaptor I had broke. A friend has some AT-style keyboards, though, so I might just get one from him.

Reply 7 of 19, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My frist computer was from that era. I remember my first computer having an Intel CPU though; most likely a 25 or 33mhz SX. It was an IBM PS/ValuePoint. At one point, my dad replaced it's 5.25" floppy drive with a CD drive then added a sound card then when he decided I was old enough for the internet, a 28.8 modem! I think I spent most my time with that computer switching between Chips Challenge and Descent. After getting the modem, I'd also regularly dial in just to see if I could find something interesting. The internet was pretty boring back then but never the less, I was amazed by it.

Reply 8 of 19, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first PC was the Packard-Bell family computer that we bought in 1989. I used it for writing stories on Word Perfect, and for my school's MathLab floppy diskette when I took a math class in 1990. It didn't even have a CD drive, just a floppy A:\ drive and a hard drive.

Then a few years later we got another Packard Bell from my sister that was exactly the same as this PC, only it had a CD-ROM drive, plus the other stuff. I used to play Star Wars Rebel Assault, SW Rebel Assault 2, SW Dark Forces, Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, and, b/c I hated cold weather so much (as well as having to shovel snow off our front walk) I tried to melt all the snow and make spring/summer come (in January/February) by playing and beating my kid nephew's game, Super Solvers Treasure MathStorm. This was so much fun I decided to have a go with another of this nephew's games - SS Treasure Cove, but I abandoned it when I received my very first PC game - Alien Breed in March/April 1995, followed by SW Rebel Assault in August of that year.

Then, in 1998 I received 2 PC's of my very own - a new Packard-Bell (this was a tower, unlike the first 2 PC's which had cases upon which the CRT monitor sat) and a CTX (tower) PC that ran windows 95.

After this it was onto several more PC's, a Dell Dimension 8200 desktop tower in 2001, a HP Compaq Presario X6000 laptop in 2005, a MacBook Pro in 2009, and a Asus Eee PC netbook in 2010.

Reply 9 of 19, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have an issue with it now; when I run it for about 15 minutes, the screen turns blue. I'm thinking that may be a cold solder joint on the VGA card, as it does it with every monitor I use with it. Any other ideas before I open it up?

Reply 10 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't happen to have a spare VGA card laying around?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, if your screen turns blue, do you mean blue like in a BSoD-blue, or you keep the same screen with whatever was already on it but it just starts suddenly looking more blue?
Pic?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to keyboards there is always adapters floating around. I bought one a few months ago although pricey at $13 and change it allows me to use ps2 as well usb keyboards with these older machines. What I really like about it those is that I can also use it as an AT keyboard adapter to where I can use older keyboards like the IBM model m on newer machines. It has both male and female connectors.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 19, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Passthrough PS/2 to AT (or AT to PS/2, for that matter) dongles are pretty cheap and easy to find online or at local computer warehouses catering to older hardware. (if you have one)

PS/2 ISA cards also shouldn't be too hard to find. (or PS/2 I/O connectors if your motherboard has PS/2 headers onboard)

USB adapters would tend to be a bit pricier though, and USB ISA cards aren't very common either.

Reply 16 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kool kitty89 wrote:

PS/2 ISA cards also shouldn't be too hard to find.

I've never seen an ISA PS/2 mouse/keyboard card. Do you have a photo of one with specs?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 19, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:
kool kitty89 wrote:

PS/2 ISA cards also shouldn't be too hard to find.

I've never seen an ISA PS/2 mouse/keyboard card. Do you have a photo of one with specs?

Yes, what he said.

That could eliminate the PS/2 issue on the really good 486 boards.

Reply 18 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure they don't exist, since I've been looking for one for years.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium