VOGONS

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 2703, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should be a Q-Tec 6022MD or 6030MD. I don't see the brand or type printed anywere... Bought it new around 2002/2003. And later obtained a second one. http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm.392.html

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 122 of 2703, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the way you "modded" your cases 😉

small_p-3s_1266mhz_back.jpg
There cases are strange in a way. They were only made in the beginning of ATX and generally are only suitable for Slot 1/Slot A due to the mounting position of the PSU. If you install any socket motherboard in such a case, the PSU will be trying to suck air in the opposite direction of the CPU fan, which is of course a bad thing.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 123 of 2703, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad you like the modding, it is out of desperation for quiet systems and reliable Midi music. 😀
About that sliding case, the height is less then a normal ATX tower. Which is practical. It is just a little wider. As you can see there is a Socket 370 Mobo there. The big sticker shows that is how the OEM system builder intended it to be. I can confirm that the 120mm PSU fan blows towards the CPU, so that is the same direction as any CPU fan. I guess that means the PSU is non-standard. I replaced the PSU fan in the past, but cannot believe I reversed it then.
Now with this undervolted Tualatin Processor, the PSU fan gives enough airflow on its own. Can you see the post-it paper there to guide the airflow 😉.
The small CPU fan at the front of the case is just attached there for storage, it is not powered.

Reply 124 of 2703, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@gerwin: Very nice systems, I especially like all the homemade stuff! Would you care to explain how you made the riser with stereo reverser for the Terratec Daughterboard? It looks like something I could use (minus stereo reversal) in the front module of the EWS in order to install the DB50XG again.

Reply 125 of 2703, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An earlier version of that riser is displayed in this topic: Midi Daughterboard trouble In europe you can order these parts from Conrad. I tell you, many Waveblaster Daughterboards and Host cards have the stereo channels swapped.

Reply 126 of 2703, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here is some pics of my cdrom server.
I have upgraded the motherboard to a abit vp6 with dual p3 1ghz cpu's,
a geforce 4 4600 video card and a soundblaster 5.1 sound card.
The scsi cards are iwill with and adaptec chip ultra wide scsi units.
Also it has 2gb of pc133 ram.

5642312261_742031fc8e.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61324868@N02/564 … in/photostream/
5642292467_f66e87f562.jpg
5642866456_0c93ecaae4.jpg
5642870170_2103ff57a7.jpg

Reply 127 of 2703, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stano wrote:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5062/5642870170_2103ff57a7.jpg http://www.flickr.com/photos/61324868@N02/564 … in/photostream/ […]
Show full quote

5642870170_2103ff57a7.jpg

Are all of those CDROM drives? (not DVD-compatible?)

And what are you going to do with that lot of CD drives?

Reply 128 of 2703, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

they are all cd rom drives...
this was a cd rom server from a company which had a database stored on the cdroms which needed to be accesed.
It was being thrown out and I thought I would rescue it and provide it a home 😀
That was many years ago...recently I replaced the iwill mainboard(and p3 733 cpu) for the vp6 as it was available. The only thing that has failed is the 18.2 gb ibm ultra star harddrive and I am now using an 80 gb seagate ide drive.
I had planned to remove the cdroms and in place put hardrives (possibly scsi ones, but alas my scsi knowledge is limited and do not want to be spending lots of money on dead tech)
So now it takes pride of place in my palace of old pc I have used in the past.
It is one loud mother however. It has 7 80mm fans apart from the ones in the psu to cool it,and they make quite a racket!

Reply 130 of 2703, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My collection in it's current state. I actually use the Dell quite a bit. With Windows 98SE, the 866mhz Pentium III and 512mb RDRAM are put under very little strain and with plenty of tweaks and patches and prodding around, the OS functions well on the internet and is, at the moment, suitable as a daily driver if my good computer were to suddenly die. Micron I just have no place to set it up and I don't have another keyboard to plug into it. The Mac Performa is a nifty machine and I'm amazed at how simple and elegant the design is when I take it apart but I think it'll spend the rest of it's life doing nothing more than running Prince of Persia or some other old game from time to time.

Dell Dimension XPS B866r:
xps.th.jpg

Screenshot of Windows 98SE on the XPS:
desktopjqy.th.jpg

Micron Milennia tower with a 200mhz Pentium (non-MMX, upgraded from 133):
micron.th.jpg

Macintosh Performa 630CD:
performa.th.jpg

Reply 131 of 2703, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have that same Dell tower but mine was home to a P2-400.

I like the Macintosh. I'd like to have one of that age. The PowerPC and 68k Macs are neato. I actually am probably going to be getting a G3-powered MacBook from someone at work though. Maybe my new Super Wing Commander machine if I can find the game / get it working.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-04-24, 03:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 132 of 2703, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Macintosh reminds me of the computers used in my elementary school.

Dell used that same case for quite awhile. They started using that case sometime in 1996 and in '97 or '98, they changed the faceplate to the one you see on my computer and they finally quit using the case around 2001 or 2002 when they changed everything to black. EDIT: Funny enough, the Micron computer pictured uses the same case as well as Old Thrashbarg pointed out in another post of mine.

Last edited by GXL750 on 2011-04-24, 03:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 133 of 2703, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

The Macintosh reminds me of the computers used in my elementary school.

It was high school for me but yeah that's the reason I'd like to get one. I was fascinated by them but have not had much of a chance to really dig in and mess around.

Elementary school was the Apple II and IIGS days here. IIGS is a slick machine.

When I first got to high school they had mostly black and white Mac Plus machines 🤣. Color Apple IIs to B&W Mac Plus! Then they bought a few labs of the Macintosh LC machines. Eventually we got into stuff like PowerMac and I also played with a Quadra 660AV once.

Reply 134 of 2703, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I was in kindergarden and first grade, all of the classrooms had Apple IIe Platinum though in some spots of the school (library, offices, a couple classrooms), you could find Mac LCs. In second grade (1994), all the classrooms got LC575s which have identical specs to my Performa except they had a monitor built in.

Funny enough, in early 2002, when I was at the end of my freshman year in high school, all the classroom computers there were Dells but the graphic arts classroom had all PowerMac 5500s which, in 2003, were replaced with eMacs. So my first experience with Photoshop was with System 7 and whatever the latest Photoshop that ran on System 7 was.

I'd really like to get an Apple IIe like the ones my elementary school had. Though I'm sure if I got one now, MathBlaster and that wierd bug breeding game I spent so much time playing wouldn't seem nearly as fun I'm sure. I also played Oregon Trail a little bit.

Reply 135 of 2703, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

Though I'm sure if I got one now, MathBlaster and that wierd bug breeding game I spent so much time playing wouldn't seem nearly as fun I'm sure. I also played Oregon Trail a little bit.

Oregon Trail might just be one of those fun-for-all-ages experiences. 😉

By the way, this site is amazing.
http://www.virtualapple.org/

Reply 136 of 2703, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the Apple IIe at school but we didn't have Oregon trail 🙁

We did have a game called 'Spy's Demise' which was a heap of elevators going up and down and you had to navigate your character from left to right without hitting the elevators. Also a game whose name escapes me, but I think it was freefall or a variant thereof... your guy dropped down from the top of the screen, could grab onto horizontal bars, while avoiding spears and a bouncing ball, and you had to fall through a coloured slot on the bottom of the screen. Neither of which I can find on that virtual apple site 🙁

Actually I wonder i the school still has that old thing or if its been thrown in the garbage... I'd love to get my hands on it again 😀

Reply 137 of 2703, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, a rig with a Pentium 200 non-mmx 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 138 of 2703, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Specs? :D […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:
here are my 2 machines that I use: […]
Show full quote

here are my 2 machines that I use:

1. Tualatin 1.4ghz pIII with voodoo5 and sblive :

-snip-

2. p200mmx with a riva128ZX , sb16+db50xg and a LAPC-I :

-snap-

Specs? 😁

Btw, I like both those cases!
I like ATX cases with room for a 12cm case fan and the AT case looks neat and clean 😉

120mm fans are important. If room isn't there, I'll usually make room for them if it's in a computer I plan on keeping.

I see some of the rigs in this thread have very little cooling. Seriously just double stick tape a fan inside there or something, or at least populate the extra 80mm intake fan slots I've seen empty on some of these boxes. Keep this stuff running at room temperature! It's irreplaceable (and yes, I realize some of you have spare parts).

On that note, I'm 99 percent done modding my current project, so you'll all see pictures in the next few hours hopefully 😀.

Reply 139 of 2703, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The rigs I've posted have all run perfectly fine for hours on end with the cooling provided.

The thing is, I very much consider what hardware I have inside a case and how individual parts and the case itself are cooled, though I'll have to admit I haven't paid too much attention to some of the passive graphics cards in the past.

I'm not sure if 120mm is that important, 80mm runs certain configurations just fine.
Don't forget that many of these rigs are using parts that themselves produce perhaps no more then 10% of the amount of heat that modern pc systems sometimes produce, just to give you an indication.
Another thing is, I simply don't have that many cases with 120mm fan openings, so often 80mm, 92mm or sometimes even less will have to suffice 😉

Now, cooling an AT case is a bit more challenging. They have very little options for cooling, have poor layout when it comes to cooling and are usually quite cramped. But the main thing is:Is the system able to remove it's excess heat well enough? And are individual parts being run at cool enough temperatures?

Report spammers here!