VOGONS

My Super Socket 7 Retro machine!

Topic actions

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never posted my systems working around here so i decided to do it now since i'm very happy with what i am doing.

Front:

WP_20130923_0021_zpseebabda7.jpg?t=1379936841

The insides:

WP_20130923_0011_zpsc4892605.jpg?t=1379936815

As you can see, i'm still missing something for the 5.25 inch bays. What i want is a 1.2MB 5.25 inch disk drive. I want this system to be able to tackle the old media as well. I might get games that come in 5.25 inch floppies. Anyone with a floppy drive to sell? I want it in black obviously.

I still gotta get AMD K6 sticker to cover those ugly holes. And i gotta clean that dusty grill.

Specs:
AMD K6-III+
DFI K6XV3+ /66 REV:B1
64MB sdram PC100

S3 TRIO 64+ PCI
Silicon Image Sil 3112 PCI Sata Controller

OPL3-SA3 YMF719
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Gravis UltraSound Classic 1MB

Gotek floppy emulator
1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Drive
LG DVD-ROM
Iomega ATAPI ZIP250

SD to SATA 2.5inch adapter.

On its way:
Behringer 1202 mixer
Kenton 5 way MIDI THRU

Still need:
Black color 1.2MB 5.25inch floppy drive

Reply 2 of 23, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very nice machine 😀

BTW i've been wanting to ask you something but i've been forgetting. I can't get any signal from the HD-LED connector on the PCI SATA controller. If i connect my LED there i get absolutely nothing at all. Plus, i've tried to measure both pins with my multimeter and they both read +3 Volts! It doens't seem right. Do i need some special LED or something?

Reply 3 of 23, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice!

I would love to have a DFI super socket 7 board.
Im not sure about Via though but I guess DFI diddnt make any super socket 7 boards with Aladdin V / M1541/ M1543?
Is your system stable and hassle free?

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2013-09-23, 16:18. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 23, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
Nice! […]
Show full quote

Nice!

I would love to have a DFI super socket 7 board.
Im not sure about Via though but I guess DFI diddnt make any super socket 7 boards with Aladdin V / M1541/ M1543?
Is your system stable and hassle free?

As it is right now it is pretty stable. There might be some games that will eventually not run properly and such, but so far everything is going well. Also take in mind that i'm pretty much using 3 ISA sound cards which must be configured properly to work. This can create heaps of problems. The AWE64 and the YMF card are not very fond of each other because they will fight over SET BLASTER for instance. I cannot blame the motherboard for some eventual issues, so as far as i can say the system is running great!

Reply 6 of 23, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats quite a nice system , wouldn't mind getting a Gravis Ultrasound, I just can't seem to find one for a decent price.

the only improvement I can think of is adding another 64Mb of RAM , though the benefit one would get out of it are not massive.

Reply 7 of 23, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not in DOS, but hell lot more fluid Windows 98SE /2k multitasking. A K6-III+ between 550-600 Mhz roughly brings the perf. of a Pentium III at 350 Mhz.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 8 of 23, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a floppy drive emulator already installed what's the point of having an actual floppy drive? Esthetics Or convenience of using stuff you already have on floppy? Is there limitations to the floppy emulator?

Reply 9 of 23, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:

If you have a floppy drive emulator already installed what's the point of having an actual floppy drive? Esthetics Or convenience of using stuff you already have on floppy? Is there limitations to the floppy emulator?

Because i'll need the capability of reading old 3.5 and 5.25 disks. Then with HD-COPY i can make disk images and transfer them to the USB partitions for the floppy emulator. It's about preserving the software. Floppy disks will die eventually.

Reply 10 of 23, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

Because i'll need the capability of reading old 3.5 and 5.25 disks. Then with HD-COPY i can make disk images and transfer them to the USB partitions for the floppy emulator. It's about preserving the software. Floppy disks will die eventually.

yhea, that makes sence. I just have a mountain of blank floppies so I just backup everything on my XP machine and when I want to play them I copy them to a blank floppy but I suppose one day all those will die.

Reply 11 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very nice machine 😀

BTW i've been wanting to ask you something but i've been forgetting. I can't get any signal from the HD-LED connector on the PCI SATA controller. If i connect my LED there i get absolutely nothing at all. Plus, i've tried to measure both pins with my multimeter and they both read +3 Volts! It doens't seem right. Do i need some special LED or something?

Both pins read 3V?

Hang on a minute. If you put one probe each on each pin, you should get +3V and then when you swap them around -3V.

Do you happen to have one of these test-bench cables with start button and LEDs?

Like this one:

http://youtu.be/0N3uYnXIer8?t=4m9s

Voltage shouldn't matter as for LEDs it's the current that matters. Brightness is regulated through PWM and not voltage.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 23, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Both pins read 3V?

Hang on a minute. If you put one probe each on each pin, you should get +3V and then when you swap them around -3V.

Do you happen to have one of these test-bench cables with start button and LEDs?

Yep that's what i get. And yes i've tried with separate LED's. Now have LED's changed in anyway? Because either my case HD LED and separate are dead when i connect themto the PCI SATA Controller. If i use an Hard Drive on the IDE motherboard controller the LED has no trouble in picking up the signals from the motherboard LED connector.

Maybe the PCI card is faulty in that regard?

Reply 14 of 23, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jolaes76 wrote:

Not in DOS, but hell lot more fluid Windows 98SE /2k multitasking. A K6-III+ between 550-600 Mhz roughly brings the perf. of a Pentium III at 350 Mhz.

hmm , that statement makes me wonder, if there is any benefit to running Win2000 on this system over Win98SE, Win2000 should be more stable, but less compatible.

I would agree with the Mhz rating, at least in the 3D department, I had a K6-3 450 until recently, and it performed similarly to a PII 266 in most 3D games ,

turning off the L2 cache and running DOS (or Win95) on it would make a pretty nifty late DOS system though.

Reply 15 of 23, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win2000 is a great OS for running Win9x games on period hardware, though it does have a few compatibility issues and I wouldn't recommend it for anything requiring MS-DOS or IPX networking. Otherwise, I like it a lot as a retro OS.

Reply 16 of 23, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Win2000 is a great OS for running Win9x games on period hardware, though it does have a few compatibility issues and I wouldn't recommend it for anything requiring MS-DOS or IPX networking. Otherwise, I like it a lot as a retro OS.

its certainly very stable, though I remember a few games not working on WinNT 4.0 , like C&C.

were there any performance improvements in games over Win98? I never actually compared them.

Reply 17 of 23, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think a big part of the reason why the old C&C games didn't work on NT-based OSes was just because of how their IPX networking was coded.

On that note, I read that Red Alert 2 came out late in 2000. Did people struggle with running that game on XP at all?

Reply 18 of 23, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I think a big part of the reason why the old C&C games didn't work on NT-based OSes was just because of how their IPX networking was coded.

On that note, I read that Red Alert 2 came out late in 2000. Did people struggle with running that game on XP at all?

Ive ran it on XP , it runs fine without any issues., most likely due to the native Win2000 support, Tiberian Sun also works ok, though it can be a bit too fast.

Reply 19 of 23, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Nice build, but where's the 3DFX love? You should at least have an original Voodoo in there.

I do have a Voodoo Banshee and a Voodoo 3. The Voodoo 3 is not very healthy, so the S3 is a great replecement. In the future this system will house a second HDD with a Windows 98 install. The Voodoo Banshee is probably gonna take the S3 place.