VOGONS

Reese's Intel Pentium build!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

My PCI S3 Trio64V+ shows EDO RAM during POST. Maybe that's the issue?

I haven't quite caught it, but I should take a look.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Well, so far both this system and my 486 system have 3com NICs so I can play network based multiplayer games if I wanted. 😀

Woooot got my head around this mTCP project 😀

MS-DOS networking with mTCP (Using FTP to transfer games)

Oh sweet, I really gotta try this!

Hmm, do I have to have actual "packet drivers" or will the drivers I got installed for my 3Com cards be sufficiant enough to run mTCP?

Reply 21 of 38, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, Thanks again for your video, Mau1wurf1977! 😁

I tried out the steps on my 486DX4 system, and got it working! The only thing I couldn't do, is DHCP reservation, since the dang Westell router doesn't seem to offer that, at all. 🙁

Thankfully mTCP still obtains an IP, so that helps a ton!

Definite success!
IMG_2546-800px.jpg

Reply 22 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice 😀

You can also just configure DHCP for a static IP address.

But the IP is displayed on the screen anyway, so it's not a bid deal 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 38, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll have to look, so far I only know of a single static IP configuration, and port forwarding on the router.

Though yeah, I'm gonna have to learn how to setup an itemized list to choose from, kinda like some of you guys do on your retro systems. For optimal memory and feature a program may or may not need. 😀

Also, I noticed FileZilla having speeds upwards of 750-ish kb/s on transfers here over the network. Not the full speed of a 10-megabit NIC (ISA) but I guess that's not bad at all, still. Not like I'll be transferring gigabytes of data over. 🤣

Reply 24 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do 🤣

That's why I prefer CF cards and SATA drives and my sneaker net.

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

10mbit equals ~1.2mb/sec , and 750kb is pretty good for an ISA nic... upgrade to a PCI one on the p1 and you'll get 2-3mb/sec

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26 of 38, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

10mbit equals ~1.2mb/sec , and 750kb is pretty good for an ISA nic... upgrade to a PCI one on the p1 and you'll get 2-3mb/sec

Or get a 100mbit ISA card and get 1.5-2mb/sec. They are rare, but they do exist.

Not as quick as a PCI card though.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 27 of 38, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I do 🤣

That's why I prefer CF cards and SATA drives and my sneaker net.

CF cards are like a dream come true for these oldschool systems. 😁

Though I do want to try SATA drives, I just am not sure if the newer SATA controller cards are compatible with the older PCI slots. 😦

keropi wrote:

Actually the Pentium 1 does have a PCI NIC. The system in the above picture is my 486 system with the ISA NIC. I figured I may as well make use of my NICs, on what I have laying around. 😀

vetz wrote:

Or get a 100mbit ISA card and get 1.5-2mb/sec. They are rare, but they do exist.

Not as quick as a PCI card though.

Interesting, never knew those existed! 😁

Reply 29 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, 100mbps isa nic? I too never knew it existed...
nice matrox btw 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm I'm sure the PCI NIC I used does 10/100 and the speeds I got were quite low.

My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 38, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

nice matrox btw 😀

Thanks! I decided I'd give the Matrox G200 a try. Especially with having the increased resolution in Windows 3.1. I'll see how DOS gamed perform soon though.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmmm I'm sure the PCI NIC I used does 10/100 and the speeds I got were quite low.

Weren't you getting 500ish kb/s on yours?

Reply 33 of 38, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Hey, Thanks again for your video, Mau1wurf1977! :D […]
Show full quote

Hey, Thanks again for your video, Mau1wurf1977! 😁

I tried out the steps on my 486DX4 system, and got it working! The only thing I couldn't do, is DHCP reservation, since the dang Westell router doesn't seem to offer that, at all. 🙁

Thankfully mTCP still obtains an IP, so that helps a ton!

Definite success!

The DHCP reservation step is not required at all. You would only do that if you want the DOS machine to get the same IP address every time. That's convenient if you use the DOS machine as a server and don't want the IP address floating around; I normally reserve addresses for things like printers and my main machines.

Reply 34 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I wanted it to have the same IP address 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 35 of 38, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I wanted it to have the same IP address, I knew (Well learned at the same time.) it wasn't required. 😀 However I'm considering in buying a D-Link router and have it take control over as far as handling the IPs. 😀

Also, on that Matrox G200, the card seems to be working pretty good so far! I do like being able to run Windows 3.1 at a higher resolution at a high color rate, especially for use on my Sony FW900 monitor. Descent in DOS seems to work well too. 😀

However, as I had expected, Commander Keen 4 isn't compatible, as the horizontal scrolling is choppy. Like it was with my ATI Rage LT Pro. Not necessarily a problem, since I still have my 486 and 386 to play Commander Keen on with smooth game play.

These cards also seem to get quite warm, I'm thinking that I might see about adding a fan by it.

Reply 36 of 38, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of those hot-plug SCSI adapters!

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 37 of 38, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Well I wanted it to have the same IP address, I knew (Well learned at the same time.) it wasn't required. :happy: However I'm c […]
Show full quote

Well I wanted it to have the same IP address, I knew (Well learned at the same time.) it wasn't required. 😀 However I'm considering in buying a D-Link router and have it take control over as far as handling the IPs. 😀

Also, on that Matrox G200, the card seems to be working pretty good so far! I do like being able to run Windows 3.1 at a higher resolution at a high color rate, especially for use on my Sony FW900 monitor. Descent in DOS seems to work well too. 😀

However, as I had expected, Commander Keen 4 isn't compatible, as the horizontal scrolling is choppy. Like it was with my ATI Rage LT Pro. Not necessarily a problem, since I still have my 486 and 386 to play Commander Keen on with smooth game play.

These cards also seem to get quite warm, I'm thinking that I might see about adding a fan by it.

GPU's are built to withstand extreme heat, you really have not a whole lot to worry about

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 38 of 38, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

The point of those was less a higher throughput (the ISA bus throttled them), but less collisions on a shared medium because a 100mbps packet takes less time than a 10mpbs one.
(At the time switches were really expensive, most people used hubs, therefore the ethernet medium was shared.)