VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 540, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I've never posted in this thread yet, despite the fact that I have many CRTs.

Current set up with Samsung SyncMaster 763MB. Fantastic monitor, original owner apparently barely used it before upgrading to an LCD. And it shows, as it is by far the brightest monitor I own.
RvMbD02m.jpg

Older set up from 3 years ago, showing my Sony Trinitron CPD-100SX. I like the monitor, but it is clear that it was well used previously. Have to turn up the brightness all the way to get a "normal" looking picture. Still too dark, as evidenced in dark games like Doom where I am forced to increase the gamma ingame, whereas with the previous Samsung monitor, I can leave it at the default with the monitor at much, much lower brightness setting.
d1TBygTm.jpg

And a bunch of PVMs too... yeah I may have a bit of a problem.
MJSy1QYm.jpg

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 401 of 540, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so that's where all the PVMs are hiding!

that small 15" sony is lovely though :3

I may finally post some pictures when I get to set up the basement later this month... I hope...

Reply 402 of 540, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Samsung SyncMaster 550s
Nothing fancy, just a small 15" CRT for playing DOS games (70Hz on 17" kills my eyes 😀

Attachments

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 403 of 540, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently my only CRT, I rescued it (a 17" Viewsonic A70) from a local electronics recycling yard. Pretty run of the mill, and non-flat, but it's doing the job for now. Been on the lookout for a 19-21" flat screen, fingers crossed I'll get lucky soon. 😀

viewsonic.jpg
Filename
viewsonic.jpg
File size
207.17 KiB
Views
File comment
Viewsonic A70
File license
Public domain

Reply 405 of 540, by superkato1k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-09-03, 23:02:

I prefer non-flat for retro stuff ^^

I definitely get you. I do too, except in the case of a lot of Win 95/98 games (which that particular work in progress is aimed at). For DOS games, and especially 80s titles, the curved screen is part of the charm.

This particular build is aimed more at like Mechwarrior 2, Freespace, Wing Commander IV & Prophecy, etc. 😀

Reply 406 of 540, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will begin with this. Perhaps I am the first to submit a broken monitor for review. Dumb, I know. Now then. This monitor I purchased in 2005 from a second hand shop. I had had a 19" flatscreen ViewSonic. Well, to make a long story short, phosphor damage occurred, sent it back to ViewSonic for $75 shipping, they sent me back broken trash, and I chose to put the next $75 into this instead.

The shop didn't have any 19" flatscreens, so I went with this 17" and I thought, other than it looking a little red (which it always did) it was a fine picture. If anything, a little finer than the ViewSonic although smaller obviously. I used it until 2007 and moved away. My stepmother at some point "salvaged" it from my belongings and used it until 2013. Then I took it back. Was still fine.

Around this point the case began to crack apart. Never seen this happen on other monitors. I guess it's just part of the curse of being me for this to happen. Pictures tell the story. It's like the tube will fall out of the case! Then, while transporting it, I reached across the monitor and foolishly used the grill to support my hand. **CRACK** That was a bad night.

I briefly used it for maybe 6 months or a year afterwards. Always seemed too red or the colors were washed out if not. Then I put it in a closet which got a little damp. I pulled it out one day for something. Turn on. I saw the screen appear, and then quickly dim until there was no backlighting left. In shadow, I could just make out the screen. That's it, I guess. Even if it could be fixed, the case is broken!

Bleh.

2DGY4mC.jpg
QRHzDUw.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6057.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6057.jpg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_6056.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6056.jpg
    File size
    1008.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_6055.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6055.jpg
    File size
    1014.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6054.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6054.jpg
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6059.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6059.jpg
    File size
    945.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 407 of 540, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Viewsonic PF790

file.php?mode=view&id=91468

file.php?mode=view&id=91467

Attachments

• Uus1MVs.jpg
    Filename
    Uus1MVs.jpg
    File size
    221.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • AisxhPm.jpg
    Filename
    AisxhPm.jpg
    File size
    243.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 408 of 540, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote on 2020-09-04, 03:49:

Well, to make a long story short, phosphor damage occurred, sent it back to ViewSonic for $75 shipping, they sent me back broken trash

What's the story behind this? I just can't imagine how a warranty service could function like that.
In Hungary the vendor/manufacturer pays all shipping costs under warranty. From there they:

- repair the hardware and return it to the customer (if it has to be repaired 3 times with the same problem the customer gets full refund)
- give the customer a new unit if the defective one is irrepairable
- give full refund if the irrepairable unit can't be replaced with the same model

So how come you had to pay for return shipping and still got a broken unit back?

Reply 409 of 540, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-04, 07:21:
What's the story behind this? I just can't imagine how a warranty service could function like that. In Hungary the vendor/manufa […]
Show full quote

Well, to make a long story short, phosphor damage occurred, sent it back to ViewSonic for $75 shipping, they sent me back broken trash

What's the story behind this? I just can't imagine how a warranty service could function like that.
In Hungary the vendor/manufacturer pays all shipping costs under warranty. From there they:

- repair the hardware and return it to the customer (if it has to be repaired 3 times with the same problem the customer gets full refund)
- give the customer a new unit if the defective one is irrepairable
- give full refund if the irrepairable unit can't be replaced with the same model

So how come you had to pay for return shipping and still got a broken unit back?

Well that's a good question. For one, I lived in Hawai'i and the ViewSonic RMA address was in California, and they (everyone) loved to refuse all shipping options that weren't 2-day. As you can imagine that's outlandishly expensive. You pay more for shipping than the items being shipped. It's air mail. And do you think items arrived in 2 days? Hell, no!

ViewSonic for whatever reason required me to pay for shipping there, and then they pat themselves on the back for paying the return shipping. They didn't ship me back the same monitor - or even the same model. It was another 19" flatscreen. I got it and it worked, although IMO it looked less sharp and just more meh overall. It worked for a day or two. Then it wouldn't stick v-hold and turned to a chaotic, garbled mess when it turned on. It would have been better for me to keep the screen with the dead phosphors. One reason I didn't though was the damage was RIGHT IN THE CENTER of the screen where crosshairs go in games and I couldn't see a thing.

This process took two weeks. For them to send me someone else's broken monitor. Now, I didn't ask or try, but at that point I lost all confidence in/respect for ViewSonic's practices if not their products. I figured they would hold to policy and insist the next monitor be shipped back. So I can play fucking monitor roulette with another $75 bet and see where it lands. Also, I was very unhappy with the idea of waiting another 2 weeks using some random 15" screen while they did that. So, it was a preponderance of factors that led me to look for a used screen elsewhere - and I did feel, whatever the shortcomings of the screen I got was, that the Trinitron was sharper, had better geometry, and was actually a very nice monitor of a reasonable size. No giant "luxury" screen, but, well, I left it there, having spent too much time and money on it already.

It's a sad story :p

Reply 410 of 540, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote on 2020-09-04, 08:11:

Thanks for clearing that up, it's a true horror story. I hope companies like that are all gone in 2020.

Reply 411 of 540, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-04, 08:57:
hwh wrote on 2020-09-04, 08:11:

Thanks for clearing that up, it's a true horror story. I hope companies like that are all gone in 2020.

Well...it was pretty lame, but it wasn't like something vintage being wrecked. I never bought a ViewSonic again. I always liked them though. I don't know if it was "my fault" it got damaged, but it was the monitor I picked out for my all new build in Dec. 2003.

Which reminds me...I took a picture of it back when the Sony was working in 2006. It's funny how you never think to take pictures of your own place, and years later all that remains of it is your memories.

Attachments

Reply 412 of 540, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Around this point the case began to crack apart. Never seen this happen on other monitors. I guess it's just part of the curse of being me for this to happen. Pictures tell the story. It's like the tube will fall out of the case! Then, while transporting it, I reached across the monitor and foolishly used the grill to support my hand. **CRACK** That was a bad night.

I still own the CRT I bought in 1998, it's a generic "Diamond" branded (not Mitsubishi iirc) 17" and the case developed fine hairline cracks all over the place just sitting in storage for the last two decades... I'm a bit scared to move it around ^^

Reply 413 of 540, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a new in box LG F700B. I wrote in the "Bought this hardware today" -thread that I couldn't wait to unbox this thing, and quite literally I couldn't. Had to unbox this in the middle of a working day 😁

I really like how it looks. There's something about these flat CRTs that I like 😀

IMG_0992.JPG
Filename
IMG_0992.JPG
File size
816.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0993.JPG
Filename
IMG_0993.JPG
File size
351.38 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0994.JPG
Filename
IMG_0994.JPG
File size
887.7 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0995.JPG
Filename
IMG_0995.JPG
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0998.JPG
Filename
IMG_0998.JPG
File size
747.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 415 of 540, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's shiny! You are lucky to find a new one. These are slot mask, quite bright even with age. I am using one though mine's OSD is worn out.

CrFr wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:07:

Bought a new in box LG F700B. I wrote in the "Bought this hardware today" -thread that I couldn't wait to unbox this thing, and quite literally I couldn't. Had to unbox this in the middle of a working day 😁

I really like how it looks. There's something about these flat CRTs that I like 😀

Attachments

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 417 of 540, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That LG was actually the second new-in-box CRT I got from the same webshop. About a year ago, I bought this Hyundai ImageQuest V995 19". It can do 1600x1200@75Hz, and is very sharp at it. Overall, it is very enjoyable monitor. I always thought that one was a bit overkill to be used with 486, so I think I will replace it with this new LG, and maybe use the 19" one with Pentium III machine or something.

I didn't really need that LG right now, but it seemed that the shop might run out of stock quite soon, so I decided to buy one just in case. I don't think they are getting any more of these 😀

IMG_0999.jpg
Filename
IMG_0999.jpg
File size
829.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 418 of 540, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrFr wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:07:
IMG_0998.JPG
Filename
IMG_0998.JPG
File size
747.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

That looks like a pretty serious ?hamster? cage back there. Guniea Pig maybe? Looks like a nice custom job.

Reply 419 of 540, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-07, 15:17:

That looks like a pretty serious ?hamster? cage back there. Guniea Pig maybe? Looks like a nice custom job.

It is home of two degus. They require plenty of space, despite being small animals.