VOGONS

A discarded 386DX-40 gets some love

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had this very tidy 386DX-40 for a while now but for the most part it's been sitting idle, and it's time to change that. When I found it a couple of years ago, abandoned on the scrap heap at the local tip, it was already in very good shape. All I did at the time was replace the case’s feet (one of which was broken), replaced the 3.5” floppy drive (read errors), and gave it a bit of a clean-up. Its specs were:

386DX-40
ASUS ISA386C motherboard, 64kb cache, SIS chipset
Winbond serial and game port card
UMC IDE controller
Trident TVGA8900C VGA, 1MB
8MB RAM
90MB HDD
3.5” Floppy drive
5.25” Floppy drive

Decent quality components in a very sturdy – think WWII tank - desktop case; an excellent example of an early 90’s clone. It didn’t have anything much in the way of ‘productivity’ software on it, just DOS 6 / Windows 3.1 and a decent collection of DOS games, which I take that to mean that it was a home PC that someone spent the family savings on, only to see it turned into a games machine for the kids. A common story at the time I suppose.

I of course am also interested in this machines potential as a games machine, but it needed some upgrades in the VGA and sound departments first. For the graphics card I tied 2 different Tseng Labs ET4000AX cards, a Paradise chipset based thing, the Trident it came with, and even an 8 bit Tseng ET3000 just for fun. It’s interesting how much difference in speed there was between these cards, but - using Wolf3D as a test - the Tseng ET4000AX provides noticeably smoother gameplay and produces easily the best image quality of the bunch.

For one half of the sound solution I added a Roland MPU-IPC-T, which will drive an MT-32. For the other half I had a Sound Blaster 2.0 (CT1350B) in it for a time (found on the same scrap heap), but as much as I wanted to like it, the lack of a mixer was just too annoying. All my other machines let me mix an external module via the sound card’s line in, and I like that – I don’t want an external mixer cluttering up the joint and I don’t want to fiddle around with wiring just for one machine. So in the end I went with a Sound Blaster Pro 2 which has an easy-to-use mixer and sounds better to boot.

With the upgrades complete this machine is ready to rock Red Baron, Wing Commander, and a ton of other great early 90’s titles – I’ve been reading early copies of Computer Gaming World (http://www.cgwmuseum.org/) and have quite a long ‘to-do’ list.

The turbo button on this motherboard is quite useful in that it slows the machine down to the equivalent of a 386 33MHz, which is about perfect for Wing Commander. And the MT-32 of course sounds gorgeous – I’m glad I didn’t know about these things back when I could barely afford a Sound Blaster 2.0 Value - it would have broken my heart to know that there was something so much better out there. Red Baron for example sounds amazing with the MT-32, but with the Sound Blaster… not so amazing.

Some pics:

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_4925_zps9dff6687.jpg

IMG_4929_zpsf74de509.jpg

IMG_4900_zps4b1ba27f.jpg

IMG_4909_zps6fb7a4e7.jpg

IMG_4921_zps256aa059.jpg

Last edited by badmojo on 2014-01-20, 09:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

badmojo: wow..Another masterpiece. How much RAM are you going to use in this system?

Woops for forgot to mention that - 8MB (8 x 1MB sims). This is what it came with I think.

Reply 4 of 37, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How come you always seem to find awesome stuff at the tip? Only thing I've managed to find is a couple of rusted out Socket 7 systems....

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

How come you always seem to find awesome stuff at the tip? Only thing I've managed to find is a couple of rusted out Socket 7 systems....

Living near a capital city helps I guess, and I used to go every other weekend, but yeah I've been amazed at some of these finds. Something to do with the demographic around here I'm guessing, they a) look after their stuff, b) hang on to it for a really long time, and c) aren't savvy enough to know that they can sell this hardware easily on eBay. In saying that I've only found a handful of 286 / 386 / 486 era stuff, most of the stuff I find is Socket 7. I went on the weekend after a long break and found an OK Super Socket 7 machine - there's always something of interest!

Reply 8 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn, another badmojo thread with pics to drool on.

How did you configure the motherboard to run with a 40mhz CPU? I've got the same board in my 386 with a DX33, but I couldn't see were to set the speed to 40mhz.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Damn, another badmojo thread with pics to drool on.

How did you configure the motherboard to run with a 40mhz CPU? I've got the same board in my 386 with a DX33, but I couldn't see were to set the speed to 40mhz.

Thanks vetz, I've been taking a bit more care with my photos lately but one thing I haven't figured out is how to take a decent photo of a CRT in action. That's something I'll look into one day.

And I didn't do anything, the motherboard was already configured for 40MHz. I've been trying to get a hold of a manual for this motherboard - there's a stason entry, but having the actual manual is the way to go I've found. You miss out on recommended BIOS settings without one and that can be useful stuff.

Reply 11 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would love to get hold of the manual as well.

Could you post a pic with your solution to the external battery?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Could you post a pic with your solution to the external battery?

It's just one of these pre-built things, bought from a local electronics store:

tl-5242w-B.jpg

You can see it stuck onto the PSU in the above photo.

Reply 15 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Do you know if those are available on Ebay?

I was sure there would be but I can't find one - I've seen them in the past though.

What I've started to do though is to simply take the wire from a PC speaker - which already has the right plug on it - and solder a button batter holder onto it. Much cheaper, you can make the wire as long as you like and get the battery well clear of everything else, and you can simply change the battery when it runs out.

This is what I'll be doing going forward.

Reply 17 of 37, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the type of that motherboard?? If i see those fat letters on the board, i guess it would be an asus brand.
I guess you already found this: http://jumpers.150m.com/m/txt/30218.txt

I thinking finding an manual in PDF is already difficult to find, also finding the real document you really need to an hard head.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 18 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right it's an ASUS, and yeah finding manuals for these old boards ain't easy but by being patient I've tracked down original copies of the manuals for my OPTi 495SLC and Pentium boards, so there is some hope. Particularly for the 495SLC, the manual is an invaluable source of information in BIOS settings - I don't have much knowledge around memory timings, etc so need all the help I can get.

Reply 19 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should be receiving my own 40mhz 386 in the post tomorrow. Very similar to yours except a tower. I'll be downgrading the speed though to 25mhz since I already own a slower speed 486. That et4000 VGA card is so small compared to the few I have. mine are rather large and cluttered.