Ultimate Socket 754 AMD System

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

All Mobile Athlon XP chips have unlocked multi. Usually the problem is with the BIOS not having multiplier above 12.5X. This can be solved via some software in Windows - but it usually still won't go higher then the default multi of the chip itself - remember that Socket A mobiles are FSB 133 and have multipliers over 13X. So if you use some old motherboard with support for only 133MHz FSB then the high multiplier is a must. But if you use newer MB with FSB support of 200MHz or more, then even max BIOS multi of 12.5X is practically enough (12.5x200=2500 MHz).

You're sure -ALL- of them? Even the Palomino core ones on 266 FSB? That would be really interesting. I have an older Soyo Dragon board based on KT266 that has multipliers up to 24x in bios..... maybe I'll be trying a mobile chip in it.

EDIT: I went looking and all of the mobile chips are Thoroughbred and Barton core chips. And the older board I have with the high multiplier only takes up to Palomino chips, poop 🙁

Reply 41 of 47, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't mind what the user manual says. I have Abit KT7A (KT133A chipset) which supports only Thunderbirds... but can actually run Barton Core Mobile. You should try it anyway.

If this is your mobo, then it supports multi up to 14x.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2001/09/21/soy … /2#.VBtJxxaIo-U

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 42 of 47, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

Don't mind what the user manual says. I have Abit KT7A (KT133A chipset) which supports only Thunderbirds... but can actually run Barton Core Mobile. You should try it anyway.

If this is your mobo, then it supports multi up to 14x.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2001/09/21/soy … /2#.VBtJxxaIo-U

Thanks and all.. but this is just an older soyo board I picked up for $10, it's nothing fancy. I just recently bought a KT600 based Soyo Dragon Plus v2.0 board off ebay and it arrives tomorrow. And that one supports pretty much every Socket-A/462 CPU Ever made (I won't know about mobiles until I try one in it later), so that's the one I'll be using full time.

Reply 43 of 47, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just give it a try, anyway decided to give 754 a try and spent like $55 on a new very late model board as well the best clocking DDR1 that money can buy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 44 of 47, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Just give it a try, anyway decided to give 754 a try and spent like $55 on a new very late model board as well the best clocking DDR1 that money can buy.

Isn't it sort of cute what we can get cheap today? I saw a set of DDR-550 on ebay for like $10 the other day, there's more real cheap on there still. Things that used to cost hundreds of bucks when sold new just a couple of years ago.

Reply 45 of 47, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

Isn't it sort of cute what we can get cheap today? I saw a set of DDR-550 on ebay for like $10 the other day, there's more real cheap on there still. Things that used to cost hundreds of bucks when sold new just a couple of years ago.

Because of the Doom 3 benching I looked around for some nice Samsung TCCD or high clocking Micron chips. I quickly realized that nice DDR memory is the most expensive memory in Sweden.
256mb modules of any speed is without any value at all and non fancy 512 mb sticks can be had for 1 euro each while the 1GB modules is ~20 euro for two matched sticks. Fancy 2*512 MB kits goes for ~11-15 euro and fancy 2*1 GB kits sell for ~30 euro 🤣

The last time I needed some nice DDR memory the prices were lower. The high prices made me start binning cheap sticks I already own. I just found a 2x1GB Corsair Value kit with unmarked chips that outclocks my fancy G skill 2x1GB PC4000 kit. 270 MHz cl 2.5-4-3-6 @2.6V is not bad for a 2*1GB kit, The G skill kit will not even do 250 MHz with CL 2.5 although its capable of 300+ MHz cl-3-5-5-15.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 46 of 47, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Because of the Doom 3 benching I looked around for some nice Samsung TCCD or high clocking Micron chips. I quickly realized that nice DDR memory is the most expensive memory in Sweden.
256mb modules of any speed is without any value at all and non fancy 512 mb sticks can be had for 1 euro each while the 1GB modules is ~20 euro for two matched sticks. Fancy 2*512 MB kits goes for ~11-15 euro and fancy 2*1 GB kits sell for ~30 euro 🤣

The last time I needed some nice DDR memory the prices were lower. The high prices made me start binning cheap sticks I already own. I just found a 2x1GB Corsair Value kit with unmarked chips that outclocks my fancy G skill 2x1GB PC4000 kit. 270 MHz cl 2.5-4-3-6 @2.6V is not bad for a 2*1GB kit, The G skill kit will not even do 250 MHz with CL 2.5 although its capable of 300+ MHz cl-3-5-5-15.

The fastest DDR ram I've ever found is a set of DDR-400 rated ECC-REGistered generic "ATP" brand ram (Model # AB64L72Q8SHC4S) with a big green "G" on the sticker at the far right corner. These are 512MB each and I have 4. I don't remember the timing settings, but I had all 4 of these in my A8n32-SLI Deluxe motherboard at one time and had them clocked up to 575 Mhz dual channel stable with a little ram voltage bump. So.. I keep these around and I try and pop them in to various boards to see if they'll take it or not. It's always my "go to" overclocking ddr ram.

Reply 47 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Asrock board I have, and maybe the Intel 865 chipset in general, has a limit of 2 GB. I got some 1 GB DDR 400 chips from eBay. There are sellers selling new stock with BIN prices. I can't remember how much it was, it wasn't much but it wasn't a super bargain either.

YouTube, Facebook, Website