VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Awesome, as always Artex!

Just a quick question though, does the CX500 have a -5V rail? Otherwise, how do the ISA cards operate? I thought this was a necessity!

The only isa cards I can think of that require -5v is the sound blaster 2.0 CT1350B and the Roland LAPC-I although I could be wrong about the LAPC-I as I have never owned one before. Besides these, -5v is not required and you're probably better off using a modern power supply. There are ATX to AT adaptors to get a modern ATX psu to work with the old AT power connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E7JUVO/ref= … X110_SY165_QL70

Reply 21 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Awesome, as always Artex!

Just a quick question though, does the CX500 have a -5V rail? Otherwise, how do the ISA cards operate? I thought this was a necessity!

It does not..but the cards work just fine.

Corsair CX500 Power Supply (CMPSU-500CX)
Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
Max. Current 25A 20A 34A 0.8A 3A
Max Combined Wattage 130W 408W 9.6W 15W
500 Watts @ 30°C ambient temperature

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 22 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, SB 2.0 and LAPC-I need -5V. So does the PAS16, otherwise you get sped up speech in some games (Space Quest 4).

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 24 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For AT motherboards there are adapters ATX to AT adapters with -5V rail converter built in. Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251025150787?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe one exist for ATX as well.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 25 of 32, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

For AT motherboards there are adapters ATX to AT adapters with -5V rail converter built in. Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251025150787?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe one exist for ATX as well.

Never seen these ones before. Have you tested one of these yourself vetz?

Reply 26 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using several of the adapters Vetz referenced in my Socket 3 (AT) systems and they are working great with modern PSUs.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 28 of 32, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

I'm using several of the adapters Vetz referenced in my Socket 3 (AT) systems and they are working great with modern PSUs.

So have you tested for instance a CT1350B using an ATX psu with this -5v adaptor?

Reply 29 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:
Artex wrote:

So have you tested for instance a CT1350B using an ATX psu with this -5v adaptor?

Come to think of it.. I haven't... I'm using SB16s in them.

HOWEVER... 😀 I will be posting my next build this weekend and I can certainly throw in a SB 2.0 and see how it works.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 30 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using the same adapter in my Pentium Pro system (ASUS P65UP5) and I've not tested it with a SB2.0 card, but I'll leave the testing to Artex with his awesome builds. Reminds me that I have to post my last two builds 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes