VOGONS

Unisys CWD 486DX2 66mhz

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It appears that your CWD 4002 is missing two voltage regulators near the CPU that are on my CWD 4001 (bottom right of the motherboard).

OpYdcQ4m.jpg

I'd guess yours will not support a 3V CPU, but I'm not an expert. I've not tried a DX4 in mine either (never felt it necessary to try, and also worried that the heatsink wouldn't be adequate over the long-term as this machine already gets rather warm after using it for a little while).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 22 of 28, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, we've talked a bit about it before. 😀

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 24 of 28, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will have to change the soundcard in my CWD-486 too. In the past this was very tricky because it worked some time before the card would never be detected for weeks until it worked again. I have had to mess with some tricked pnp bios-manager from intel but that was also very unriliable...

Currently I am using an Aztech-Card with a real OPL3. This card has two minor issues:

1. No sound in JimPower
2. In WSS-Mode no joystick-movement to the right (Turrican2)

These two games have to work without any issues. I have a CT1600 here, but I don't want to modify the case, so I will go for a formosa-sc1630 that works great in my amiga2000-pc-card.

I could not bring my aztech to work on IRQ7 in SBpro, so it's interesting that you have to force your SBpro to IRQ7 from 5. There are some (old) games/demos that require IRQ7, so I will go for that on my formosa.

I don't have the short AWE64 to fit in the case, I hve the CT4170 but that card did not work for me, as described above. (Bios-Detection fails every week or so)

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 26 of 28, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My machine has a built-in DX2/66-"S" that should have some thermal-management features.

"Intel's branding of its first power-saving 486 chips in the early 1990s. SL Enhanced 486 CPUs used 3.3 volts instead of 5 and could go into an idle state under one watt. Initially for portable PCs, and later for desktops, the System Management Mode would shut down peripherals to save energy."

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 27 of 28, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that neither system board is yet listed in UH19, would you mind to take a clear picture of the board and make a bios dump for us? TIA.
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/

Reply 28 of 28, by hailthemelody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote on 2015-05-18, 06:32:
sunaiac wrote:

Intel's DX4s are 3.3V

Yup. It needs to be the Intel DX4 OverDrive, which is compatible with 5V. It looks a bit different, with writing on the cooler and some electrical components for converting the voltage.

Pardon the necrobump - I've tried the Intel OverDrive DX4ODPR100 SZ959 V1.1 but it doesn't work. Perhaps I need to downstep the voltage? There was no magic smoke, fortunately. Thank you!