VOGONS

IBM PS/2 286

Topic actions

First post, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was recently given this unit from a friend. He kept it in excellent condition, but decided that it was no longer suiting his needs for computing.

15y9pw7.jpg

It's an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 10 MHz Intel CPU.
I haven't double checked the RAM, but I think it was 1 MB.
The RTC needs to be replaced, and the 1.44 proprietary floppy drive doesn't seem to read diskettes.
I have a 2.88 MB floppy drive, that I'm hoping will work and am in the process of changing it.

5mfv9l.jpg

This is some of the software that I got with it. Not bad for free.

Reply 1 of 17, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice pickup! Seeing as that particular PS/2 doesn't have Micro Channel slots, I'd recommend tossing something like an SB 1.5 in it. Also, I'd recommend trying to clean the 1.44MB floppy drive.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 2 of 17, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemesis wrote:

.... but decided that it was no longer suiting his needs for computing.....It's an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 10 MHz Intel CPU.....

Quite surprising!.. 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My first computer! So many memories from the Model 30!

Played Wolfenstein3D (lagged badly), Stunts (lagged badly), Simcity, A-train, Links World Class Leaderboard, Mechwarrior 1 (lagged badly!) among other games on it.

It was retired to junk when we moved in 1998 🙁

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

tumblr_inline_n8she71OON1qhueu3.gif

is that a BOXED copy of dos 4.0? I dont think that was a very common version!

Also, I love these IBM's! I have several, so if you have any questions i'd be happy to help.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The mouse, the screen, I love how everything is period correct.
I may be wrong but I think IBM is PC Dos not MS Dos

Reply 7 of 17, by mav85ale

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

beautiful! My friend had a 386Sx with the same case 😀

Olivetti M290 / 386SX 16MHz / 4MB / 100MB HDD / TSENG ET3000 / Opti 82c931
Commodore 486DX33C / 486DX2 66MHz / 8MB / 500MB HDD / WD90c30 / Vibra16
Pentium MMX 233MHz / 64MB / 8.4GB HDD / Millennium II 4MB / 3Dfx Voodoo / Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 GOLD

Reply 8 of 17, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:

Nice pickup! Seeing as that particular PS/2 doesn't have Micro Channel slots, I'd recommend tossing something like an SB 1.5 in it. Also, I'd recommend trying to clean the 1.44MB floppy drive.

I actually was starting to go through my ISA soundcard collection to see what I had along those lines, Sutekh94. Good idea.

luckybob wrote:

is that a BOXED copy of dos 4.0? I dont think that was a very common version!

Also, I love these IBM's! I have several, so if you have any questions i'd be happy to help.

chinny22 wrote:

The mouse, the screen, I love how everything is period correct.
I may be wrong but I think IBM is PC Dos not MS Dos

I might actually need some advice on the 1.44 Floppy drive from luckybob or anyone else that knows about this stuff. I pulled the 1.44 drive and replaced it with the aforementioned 2.88 IBM Floppy (which at the very least works with 1.44 disks, but I can't seem to find my 2.88 disks to test it's limits), but when I touched the 1.44 drive, I noted that there was some kind of an oily substance on the bottom. I quickly checked to see if it had leaked anywhere else in the case, but it seemed to only be on the bottom and side of the drive. Any thoughts as to what that might be, or if that might have had anything to do with it ceasing to work?
Also, that is in fact, a boxed copy of IBM DOS 4.0. Not Microsoft.

vetz wrote:

My first computer! So many memories from the Model 30!

Played Wolfenstein3D (lagged badly), Stunts (lagged badly), Simcity, A-train, Links World Class Leaderboard, Mechwarrior 1 (lagged badly!) among other games on it.

It was retired to junk when we moved in 1998 🙁

mav85ale wrote:

beautiful! My friend had a 386Sx with the same case 😀

I have always loved these classic machines, and I've always had a thing for running software on them that's technically not supposed to work (usually results in slideshows).
I'm sorry that yours was junked. That was a tremendous waste of beautiful computing. I've seen my fair share of items go to waste when I was younger and folks didn't know the future value of said items.
The 386SX is the IBM Model 55SX @ 16MHz, iirc.

A little backstory to the whole thing: My friend has been using this machine since 1988 (If I understand correctly) to archive stuff for the church. When the RTC went, he decided that it would be too much of a risk to replace it (he really isn't a computer guy), and upgraded to a newer system. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. He continued to play games on it, and I enjoyed a few hours of gaming on it at his house, myself. So he decided that this near-mint machine should go to someone that would appreciate it... me! 😁

Reply 9 of 17, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another question: I noticed that the Clock Crystal Oscillator near the CPU is rated at 48 MHz. Does this mean that the system could potentially support a 20 MHz CPU, or am I completely misunderstanding the concept?

Reply 10 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, thats for something else. Video probably.

As for the floppy drives, i'd clean it up with alcohol as best as possible. if that doesnt work, the drive probably needs new caps. This is actually pretty common, especially in the Alps drives.

If you have the time, could i get an image of those dos 4.0 disks? I dont have a good 4.0 version.

Reply 11 of 17, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

No, thats for something else. Video probably.

As for the floppy drives, i'd clean it up with alcohol as best as possible. if that doesnt work, the drive probably needs new caps. This is actually pretty common, especially in the Alps drives.

If you have the time, could i get an image of those dos 4.0 disks? I dont have a good 4.0 version.

Thank you. I found my 91% isopropyl alcohol, and I'll be putting that to use soon.

I looked closer and found a Clock Crystal Oscillator rated for 20 MHz. Pretty sure that's the one for the 10 MHz CPU.

I'm having some trouble getting the drive images, so bear with me. How would you like them delivered, after I get them?

EDIT: I have not found any spare sound cards that are suited for this machine. Which is OK for now. I kinda like the PC speaker with certain vintage games. 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If is it possible I also would like to receive MSDOS 4.00 disks after you get them, please.
I have 720K disks for Microsoft DOS 4.01 version, but I havn't normal 4.00 version.

For case, If anyone interest 4.01 MSDOS images, I attached 4.01 images.

MSDOS 4.xx has very quirky installation program. You will need a blank disk to install it.

Attachments

• Filename
    MSDOS4_01.ZIP
    File size
    954.3 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here are the images i got from nemesis:

Filename
MS DOS 4.0 IBM.7z
File size
442.45 KiB
Downloads
79 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
i386 wrote:

MSDOS 4.xx has very quirky installation program. You will need a blank disk to install it.

IBM Dos 4.xxis the same. It'll copy the operating system installation from the original disks to blank disks and you carry out the installation from those.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 16 of 17, by solifer82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that this is an old topic, but I'm sure there's someone wondering the same issue with the Dallas battery and the diskette drive. I have two of these machines, and both had problems reading the diskette when the battery was dead. After modifying the Dallas, everything worked fine, so there's probably nothing wrong with the diskette drive in this case.