VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys just thought I'd show off my latest system. I'm pretty excited about it since I've never used nor owned a Macintosh before!

Anyhow here's a video I made of it where I talk a little bit about how I got it, how much I paid and what problems I had with it. I also demonstrate running a few games on it (don't worry I matched the refresh rate pretty closely with the shutter speed so there is no scrolling lines).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McdkgwwVG5w

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately I didn't get it. Twas a bummer but I'll get one eventually. 🤣

Reply 4 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that was basically my attitude. I was not all too unhappy about not having it. 🤣

Reply 8 of 19, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have one of those complete with hockey puck back in the later part of last decade. I remember it being tricky to take apart for the first time and it was kinda cumbersome too but once i had it figured out, I learned to love the design. Basically, you undo some screws and panels then you have a small metal box with a bunch of parts; all of which are easy to install, remove or replace. I also remember playing around with one at CompUSA when they first came out and being amazed with the design and how modern it felt. Every beige box running Windows seemed so dated, uncool and clunky all of a sudden. It was around the same time the Wallstreet PowerBook G3 came out and the B&W G3 Tower was due not too much longer from then. At that time, it's a wonder the PC industry wasn't soiling their britches.

Reply 9 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Moved to System Specs and moved some posts to the Trash Can after a report. Please stay on topic.

Thank god. No pun intended. 🤣

Reply 10 of 19, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good find!

My G3 iMac is a bit newer than that, it's an Indigo 450MHz model with Firewire, so it can run up to OSX Tiger.

I have OS 9.2.2 on there though, much more suited. I think you really need a PPC G4 or better to run OSX nicely.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 19, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice system!
I saw one exactly like this in a thrift store recently. Almost took it home but then I looked closer. The case was scratched, there was some paint on the screen, and the keyboard had so much dust/crumbs/grime inside it that one could have grown plants between the keys. It didn't help that the keyboard frame was transparent. Yuck!

However this made me think a bit... In the event that I stumble on another one, would it be realistically possible to replace the CRT inside by a lighter and flatter LCD of the same size?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 12 of 19, by ashbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Beegle wrote:

Very nice system!
I saw one exactly like this in a thrift store recently. Almost took it home but then I looked closer. The case was scratched, there was some paint on the screen, and the keyboard had so much dust/crumbs/grime inside it that one could have grown plants between the keys. It didn't help that the keyboard frame was transparent. Yuck!

However this made me think a bit... In the event that I stumble on another one, would it be realistically possible to replace the CRT inside by a lighter and flatter LCD of the same size?

There has been projects like this, but all of them completely replace the internals. You could however put an LCD into it with the vanilla hardware if your iMac has a VGA connector, although I think it may not boot without the CRT.

Reply 13 of 19, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice!

A while ago I found a slightly newer G3 imac. I'll impart what I learned from it.

If you have to open it up use a pillow, its own weight on hardwood floor can damage it (learned that the hard way I think I have some minor cracks in mine)
It will always make a *bong* sound...unless you keep some head phones plugged in. Comes in handy if somebody is napping in the room.
It doesn't use CR2032 button cells, it uses these half AA's that went into old cameras. If it forgets the date you'll need one of those.
Mine is 600MHz and I upgraded it to 1 GB of RAM and it still could barely handle OSX and Linux, stick to OS 9.2.2 or under.
The hard disk is a regular PATA one it can be upgraded to something faster and higher capacity, but can only use 120GB or so due to some limitation.
It gets hot....supposedly Steve really hated fans. Seriously a future archeologist could mistake it for a space heater
If you want to browse the web you can use Classilla, you can find all the software you need at macintosh garden.

I was confronted with file formats that I had never heard of. ".sit" and others, Aladdin 'stuffit' can unstuff them.

I don't know about yours, but mine has a port hidden in the back that you can plug a monitor into, but it won't give you a cool two monitor set up it only does screen mirroring.

Anyway, I agree the way to close programs is weird, I agree, I had trouble with that too. One really cool thing with the iMac is that installing games is a hell of a lot easier than on old PCs, you just drag and drop and it works.

Reply 14 of 19, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zstandig wrote:

It gets hot....supposedly Steve really hated fans. Seriously a future archeologist could mistake it for a space heater

Now that you mention, I remember complaints about instability that turned out to be un-airconditioned homes in summer.

Reply 15 of 19, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a later model Imac Ive been trying to restore. I think its a 800mhz model. last two things it really needs is a dvd or cd drive and some new speakers. There are so many models of optical disc drives though i'm not sure what model number I need. that's and I cant seem to find speaker replacements so I'm probably going to have to hope to find a dead complete system cheap and harvest them.

Reply 16 of 19, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same excitement I had when I got my first retro mac, the B&W G3 (Yosemite). It had a 300mhz G3 with 256mb RAM, CDRW, 40GB HD and ATI Rage128 16MB PCI. It now has a G4 400 @ 450mhz, 1GB RAM, DVDRW, 40GB+80GB HDs and ATI Radeon 9200 128MB PCI. I can tell Macintosh gaming is damn fun! Most mac ports are superior to their PC's.

Reply 17 of 19, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a really nice little system. Grats 😀

I actually think the iMacs from that era (especially the blue and purple) were really pretty systems. I much prefer Macs from pre-LCD times, and pre-Intel Macs especially were so much cooler than todays glorified "PC"s.
My dream Mac would be a 68040 based system. I dunno quite why, other than that I really liked the 68000-series. Probably because I used to be into Amigas.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 18 of 19, by ashbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Same excitement I had when I got my first retro mac, the B&W G3 (Yosemite). It had a 300mhz G3 with 256mb RAM, CDRW, 40GB HD and ATI Rage128 16MB PCI. It now has a G4 400 @ 450mhz, 1GB RAM, DVDRW, 40GB+80GB HDs and ATI Radeon 9200 128MB PCI. I can tell Macintosh gaming is damn fun! Most mac ports are superior to their PC's.

Great for Quake III and such. 😁

My G4 Powermac (Sawtooth) has the same GPU and I have everything set to upgrade it to a dual CPU setup, but I need to get the right PSU that will work with the dual CPU motherboard. A normal ATX PSU won't work as it needs a separate 28V source. Damn proprietary hardware.

Reply 19 of 19, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ashbash wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Great for Quake III and such. 😁

Yes, Quake III runs great as well as RTCW.