VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this one from one of the local schools. I was surprised to see such a small case from 1999. Looks like an Enlight case but can't find the model online. The dimensions of the case are just 33x33x18 cm. The system is equipped with a miniature SFX 150W Chieftec power supply, Intel BI440ZX motherboard, Celeron processor, 64MB of RAM, Fujitsu 4.3GB 3.5" hard drive, Ati Mach 64 AGP video card and a generic PCI network card. Came with preinstalled Windows 2000. Unfortunately, the chipset is 440ZX-66 and (as the name suggests) only allows processors with 66MHz FSB.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I'm thinking maybe I should turn it into a killer mini-ITX rig w/ retro look 😀 The problem is that there's not enough space for a full-size ATX power supply and the built-in power supply is very small 100 mm x 63.5 mm x 125 mm (W x H x D). I found several decent modular power supplies but they're all slightly too big - width of 125 mm instead of 100 mm so not sure they would fit (an example: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527).

I'll keep it as it is for now and think things over. Input and opinions are more than welcome!

dsc0656.jpg dsc0657.jpg dsc0658.jpg dsc0659.jpg dsc0660.jpg

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:
Got this one from one of the local schools. I was surprised to see such a small case from 1999. Looks like an Enlight case but c […]
Show full quote

Got this one from one of the local schools. I was surprised to see such a small case from 1999. Looks like an Enlight case but can't find the model online. The dimensions of the case are just 33x33x18 cm. The system is equipped with a miniature SFX 150W Chieftec power supply, Intel BI440ZX motherboard, Celeron processor, 64MB of RAM, Fujitsu 4.3GB 3.5" hard drive, Ati Mach 64 AGP video card and a generic PCI network card. Came with preinstalled Windows 2000. Unfortunately, the chipset is 440ZX-66 and (as the name suggests) only allows processors with 66MHz FSB.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I'm thinking maybe I should turn it into a killer mini-ITX rig w/ retro look 😀 The problem is that there's not enough space for a full-size ATX power supply and the built-in power supply is very small 100 mm x 63.5 mm x 125 mm (W x H x D). I found several decent modular power supplies but they're all slightly too big - width of 125 mm instead of 100 mm so not sure they would fit (an example: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=527).

I'll keep it as it is for now and think things over. Input and opinions are more than welcome!

dsc0656.jpg dsc0657.jpg dsc0658.jpg dsc0659.jpg dsc0660.jpg

If you're planning to do a ITX build,a SFX PSU could work.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 17, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like I'm the only one that finds such a compact case interesting.

Yes, SFX PSU would work but where to find one that fits? The built-in PSU only provides 150W.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 17, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that is a rather nice little machine as it is. I would go with Windows ME perhaps for better game compatibility but it looks just fine to me otherwise, seems a shame to hack it up in my opinion.

Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 4 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Looks like I'm the only one that finds such a compact case interesting.

Yes, SFX PSU would work but where to find one that fits? The built-in PSU only provides 150W.

If SFX doesn't fit,the only thing I can think of is the TFX SSP-300TGS PSU. Speaking of which,I suspect the 150W PSU being TFX,but don't take my word unless a TFX will really fit.

Reply 5 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think a bigger issue than finding a power supply that would fit that case, would be finding a CPU cooler short enough that it doesn't get in the way of the power supply. 😵 That's the one thing I hate about microATX towers from that era, most of them were designed with small CPU heatsinks in mind.

Maybe you could try using a PicoPSU , and chop off the back panel of the old power supply to fill in the space it normally occupies on the back of the case. Just an idea. 😀 It won't provide enough power for a killer gaming rig, but it should be good enough for an HTPC. Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

Reply 6 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would keep the system as is, a 533 Mhz Mendocino Celeron is fast enough for most pre year 2000 stuff.

If one wants to build a modern compact system there are better cases, even beige ones.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the Enlight 7150.

I have a brand new one I was thinking of using for a SS7 build, but it's mATX only so the P5B won't fit.

I used on years ago for a Socket370 build, and I was also researching PSUs at the time. Would be curious myself to see if there's a commerical replacement available...

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 8 of 17, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

That's the Enlight 7150.

I have a brand new one I was thinking of using for a SS7 build, but it's mATX only so the P5B won't fit.

I used on years ago for a Socket370 build, and I was also researching PSUs at the time. Would be curious myself to see if there's a commerical replacement available...

Did you mean P5A-B? Was considering using it instead of that Intel board that's currently installed. I find the Intel board lacking in several aspects but as Skyscraper says, it should work for most purposes.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I think a bigger issue than finding a power supply that would fit that case, would be finding a CPU cooler short enough that it doesn't get in the way of the power supply. 😵 That's the one thing I hate about microATX towers from that era, most of them were designed with small CPU heatsinks in mind.

Maybe you could try using a PicoPSU , and chop off the back panel of the old power supply to fill in the space it normally occupies on the back of the case. Just an idea. 😀 It won't provide enough power for a killer gaming rig, but it should be good enough for an HTPC. Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

Actually there's more than enough clearance for a stock Intel fan be it socket 775 or 115x. The built-in PSU is SFX but there are four different variants of SFX power supplies. I'm familiar with PicoPSU and actually own a 120W version which I bought about two years ago but still haven't used 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 9 of 17, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Silverstone make SFX PSUs up to 600W - they would be perfect for this build.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_power.p … p?tno=7&area=en

Also, Noctua have a great little low-profile cooler in the NF-L9i (only 37mm tall). If you can fit something taller, they also have the NF-L9x65 at 65mm tall. But the stock Intel cooler should fit under there no worries - that picture looking in from the top shows that there's at least 50-60mm of height there.

Reply 10 of 17, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the back, the built-in PSU measures 100mm(W) x 63.5mm(H). Silverstone only has 125mm(W) x 63.5mm(H) which means that the power supply won't fit without modding the case which I'm not really prepared to do at this stage.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 11 of 17, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a great little system! Would be a pity to chop it up. My vote goes to keeping it intact with the addition of a few period pieces, i.e. a Voodoo 3, 256mb ram, Celeron 533mhz, SB Live/ Aureal Vortex and a faster HDD with Win98SE of course.

Reply 12 of 17, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sgt76 wrote:

What a great little system! Would be a pity to chop it up. My vote goes to keeping it intact with the addition of a few period pieces, i.e. a Voodoo 3, 256mb ram, Celeron 533mhz, SB Live/ Aureal Vortex and a faster HDD with Win98SE of course.

Would a Geforce 2 MX-400 be too mordern compared to a Voodoo 3?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 13 of 17, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Looking at the back, the built-in PSU measures 100mm(W) x 63.5mm(H). Silverstone only has 125mm(W) x 63.5mm(H) which means that the power supply won't fit without modding the case which I'm not really prepared to do at this stage.

You measured just the PSU? Or the entire tray the PSU resides on? (I noticed the PSU is sitting on a tray)

Reply 14 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

150W is more than enough for any s370 system or even 775 one - of course you can't really go over board with graphic card. I'd put something s370 1GHz and Geforce 3/4ti.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 15 of 17, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Would a Geforce 2 MX-400 be too mordern compared to a Voodoo 3?

Its a couple years ahead of this rig if you're into being period correct and all that, but aside from that it would work great I think. I'm quite partial to nvidia cards for win98 rigs myself.

Reply 16 of 17, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have at least 3 or 4 different GeForce 2 MX-400 cards as well as a GF3 Ti200 which I bought new and it survived to this day 😀

I may be able to get two more complete systems like the one in the original post.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 17 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Did you mean P5A-B? Was considering using it instead of that Intel board that's currently installed. I find the Intel board lacking in several aspects but as Skyscraper says, it should work for most purposes.

No. P5A-B is AT, P5A is ATX. But the 7150 will only take mATX.

You ought to take a quick look inside the PSU...

It will definitely need a re-cap.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png