VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having a main and very modern PC I definitely use much more than my "vintage" builds, I've decided to share with you its specs, if the mods allow me.
Notice, it's a 100% custom build I always keep upgrading, its life actually began a lot of years ago and from that first build, there are only 2 things I'm still using today: its monitor (which actually wasn't that one in the very first builds and now it became my second monitor) and the webcam (a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which is sadly dying 😢 ).
Although my current build has a bunch of stuff from the previous one (for example the 5.1 surround set, the hard drives, the DVD reader/burner and the fact that it has an Intel CPU, since the build before the "predecessor" of the previous one of my current one (lol, what a sentence 🤣 ) and previous generations aswell, had an AMD CPU which I don't like due to their heat, Intel CPUs are much cooler in terms of °C and still powerful for my gaming tasks), I've built it from scratch on February 2015 (after the previous motherboard decided to kill its ethernet port and probably some PCI slots aswell); the actually "new" pieces of hardware I bought that month were just the motherboard, the CPU and the new graphics card (which has a lot of backstory aswell, but I'll keep from telling about it, otherwise this post gets more messy than it already looks like) and, recently, I got some new RAM (previously I had 8 GB, then 12 GB and now 16 GB DDR3, let's see if I can get up to 32 GB one day, since I do a lot of 3D modeling and video editing, that would be very useful for me).

In short, my current main, modern PC specs are the following:

• Chassis: ThermalTake A71 Chaser
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU: A single nVidia GeForce 970, model: MSI Armor x2 (I'm planning to get a second one when they get a bit cheaper, since my motherboard supports 3-way SLI/CrossFire)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 (I even found out that this very model is no longer made... guess I got it on time 🤣 )
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR3 2x8GB
  • Storage: A lot, prepare yourselves... I got an external USB Maxtor 1,5 TB hardisk (this is probably the most old external hardisk I currently own, I got it back in 2007 or 2008), a 500GB USB "LaCie Brick" hardisk (remember those ? 🤣 ), now let's talk about SATA (because there's no IDE port on my motherboard): I have a 1 TB SATA hardisk I keep on the top of the computer (if you look up my chassis, it has an "hot swap" SATA feature on the top, and that was the main reason I wanted to get this chassis last year), a 3 TB SATA3 hardisk (which is where I pointed my main Steam library and it's always almost full), a 250 GB Samsung SSD EVO which is where I keep my operative system (Windows 7 x64), documents and other minor stuff, I never install software here unless they absolutely want to use the C: drive for some reason, another 1 TB hardisk (I guess ? My "Computer" folder is full of drives, most of which are just partitions of 3-4 actual HDDs) and probably, according to my partitions on my "Computer" folder, another 500 GB internal one, but I'm not sure (I'm too lazy to extract each single hardisk, write down what they are, get them back in and return here to type the actual sizes, but overall they're these.)
  • Monitors: Acer T232HL BMIDZ as my main 1080p monitor and a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW as my secondary monitor (which was my main monitor before I got the Acer, I then started to use 2 monitors only since my last birthday, the 24th June of 2015)
  • Webcams: A dying Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 and a PS3 EyeToy when the Logitech doesn't want to work... yep, I do need a new webcam for my Twitch show
  • Microphone (because why not list it here aswell ?): A Blue Yeti 🤣
  • Controller: I play a lot of games with my PS3 controller, using DS3 Tool with MotionInJoy drivers
  • Keyboard: Logitech G510
  • Mouse: CMStorm Sentinel Advance II, but I'm planning to get a new one soon and I'll never get a "rubber" covered mouse ever again, it got all yucky, especially with my cat's fur...
  • Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1 surround system
  • Graphic tablet: Wacom ET-0405-U

As you can see, guys, my computer is a total mixture of old and new gen hardware (look for example at that graphic tablet, it's quite old) and will probably always be like that, since it's a continuous upgrade... every year it always gets some new hardware, sometimes it gets "huge" upgrades (for example the new chassis, motherboard and CPU it got last year...), sometimes minor upgrades because something might always break (new RAM, new mouse, new webcam... whatever you can define minor), but the "core" of my PC is and will always be the same, the exact same PC I started when I was a little kid, which "evolved together with me" 😀

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard