VOGONS

Dell "fridge" 2x P PRO

Topic actions

First post, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, bought my new toy Dell PowerEdge 4100/180. That means original only one 180mhz cpu in it. Ofiicial support only 200/512.
I tried two 1MB pieces and posts good but in BIOS showing only 256kB. System is classic NT original by some company.
Including few SCSI Barracudas ... very noisy 😀 after turn off still running over 10s 😁
Everything is unstandart like usual by Dell.

Not planning big things with this, maybe better search two 200/512 cpus for original look than 1MB.

Some photos

DSCF2092_resize_zpsugufzhtb.jpg

DSCF2095_resize_zpscipe9amu.jpg

DSCF2099_resize_zps331hy0la.jpg

DSCF2100_resize_zps9aappdzs.jpg

DSCF2103_resize_zpspdou1mmt.jpg

DSCF2106_resize_zpso5tzvhds.jpg

DSCF2114_resize_zps1yxxyjpc.jpg

DSCF2116_resize_zpsqab0gfsh.jpg

DSCF2119_resize_zpspgalpezu.jpg

DSCF2128_resize_zpsygppr1fj.jpg

DSCF2123_resize_zpsxymvi3cp.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 3 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There may be a bios update to allow the use of 1mb p-pro chips! Also, if you want a beast, get a pair of p-pro overdrives. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 21, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice freight container.

That RAID card looks like an AMI MegaRAID Enterprise 1200 (Series 428). I have an Enterprise 1400 (Series 438) which is similar.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 21, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beastly! Can you use CPU-Z/WCPUID to make sure the bios just isn't misreporting the processor's L2 size even though it might actually be fully functioning?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6 of 21, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing bad about paste, only piece of poor art 😀
Ok will boot to system and will try CPUID.
Of course 2x 333 Overdrive is dream ... iam owning one but without original atypical cooler, hard to search two complete working pieces.

Errius wrote:

Nice freight container.
That RAID card looks like an AMI MegaRAID Enterprise 1200 (Series 428). I have an Enterprise 1400 (Series 438) which is similar.

Dont know to much about these controlers, I have toon of them from other machines ... I know only one thing - not to easy setup this piece of HW 😁
Theres some other

DSCF2901_resize_zps1rrsbmf4.jpg

Reply 7 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How well does it run Windows for Workgroups ? 😁

Just kiddin', it's an awesome beast!
And it looks mighty! I can almost imagine to hear it growl..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 21, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy shit this looks cool!

I particularly like the RAID controller. Seems like people back then were all like "everything is better with some RAM slots". 🤣

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually the ram slots are required for proper i960 operation. In this case it's used as a cache for the scsi channels. These cards were awesome in the day. In theory, data passing between scsi channels never even touched the pci bus! I never tested this, but still. The i960 also used the ram to calculate raid 5 information. Even the newest sas/sata raid cards still have upgradable ram, and all have some sort of onboard ram.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Card above the i960 looks like an out of band card? (aka iLo/DRAC) with the PCIMI slot for a modem, Could be nice way to remote onto a NT server.

At first I was thinking while its very awesome, its too big and slow to do anything with, then it hit me, put a cloth over it and you have a table for next to the couch!
Struggling to think of what to actually use it for, but do love playing with this high level hardware!

Reply 12 of 21, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep its some kind of remote board.
These machines are pointless for regular use these days of course. Only collector item ... nothing special that I have problem with place 😀
Consumption for this Dell is good, I have another sharks which can send down circuit breaker in my room 😁

Well its weekend so will have time for this machnine and can make video with sound. I must replace 150kg schrott around to make place.

Reply 14 of 21, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NT 4.0 allready in it
Actually back at work, I have no chance put some cpu-z or cpuid now to HDD because: only scsi, no usb, no lan here. Tomorrow put other stuff which will help.
I made video with camera but very poor so will make new with better one.

You can compare size with middle atx case under it 😀

DSCF2913_resize_zpsokfjzhda.jpg

DSCF2908_resize_zpsvbyyl2lk.jpg

Reply 17 of 21, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried old USB PCI controller but not work. Finally found working scsi cdrom so result is that system use 1MB L2 at cpu so Iam happy about this.
But this NT 4.0 is only for one cpu so not working both actually.
I must put old versions of cpu IDs, new not working.

DSCF2916_resize_zpstct0djew.jpg

DSCF2918_resize_zpsbqyogo7t.jpg

DSCF2919_resize_zpsmoih9fc3.jpg

Reply 18 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the original NT4 install right? Did it come with 2 CPU's originally?
I only ask as NT4 really doesn't like changing between single and multiple CPU's, just wondering if it's had that 2nd in there all this time not being used.

It can be done but its ugly
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/156358

Reply 19 of 21, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like original with 1x 180MHz cpu.
Thanks for tip with softmod. I will keep this original NT, only 4GB in mirror raid so not so good for anything.
Better put different HDD with new install.