VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vca_HOPWNk
some screenshots

I got this monster for almost nothing, it's almost in new condition, cooler Works, HDD/Floppy/CD drive Works,...

Hardware:
Pentium MMX 266MHz + 512KB L2 cache. (This one is a special mmx version where their development size was decreased so it only has a 8 Watts TDP!!!)
64MB EDO RAM (could go up to 160MB)
2MB VRAM
GPU: C&T 65555
Sound Card: YAMAHA OPL3-SA3 (true opl3 chip)
Stereo Speakers
Build in CD-ROM and Floppy disk drive at the same notebook (not external).
4.1GB HDD
================================
There are 5 parts of it that I like mostly:
1) Battery: still the same original battery, and wow, it Works for more than a 1 hour without a charge 😳.
2)Processor: there's a build in hotkey that downclock your cpu from 266MHz to 133MHz 😁 (It's like a simple build in hardware feature of setmul)
3)The sound card: It's amazing, it's a Yamaha sound chip (Still, I got impressed that the ESS sound chip that I have on my destkop sounds as good as it).
4)Screen scale: in old notebooks they dont scale well, but this one worked with many games.
5) Floppy drive and cd rom drive at the same case, no external adapter required 😁
===============================
I'm actually using more this guy than my old desktop (more because the desktop must run with a 110v to 220v transformer (220v only psu))

Reply 1 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a great machine.

I have the 460CDT, which is basically the same thing with a 166MHz MMX and no floppy drive, just CD. I've been very pleased with it for all the reasons you stated above.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 5, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whats this slow down key combo? Does it exist on other machines in the Satellite family? My 480CDT would like to know...

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 5 of 5, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

It's the function key with the water faucet on it. No idea why.

Yeah this one, this key changes the power settings from the bios's battery save mode, on mine you can only have 3 presets, for the cpu, you can only set it to HIGH and LOW performance, idk what it does but it lowers the clock by 133MHz, and there are many system tools that doens't detect the change (if I remember only the CHKCPU dos version could detect the change)...
If I could disable the cache with that hotkey either, it would be even more perfect