VOGONS

Reply 40 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the two mice on the same desk and using the same monitor as your everyday online activity computer? Mine were and I found it really irritating switching back and forth between modern and retro box, then having to grab another mouse. If the multiple monitors are on a desk with only retro computers, then I probably wouldn't find it as irritating.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 50, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Are the two mice on the same desk and using the same monitor as your everyday online activity computer? Mine were and I found it really irritating switching back and forth between modern and retro box, then having to grab another mouse. If the multiple monitors are on a desk with only retro computers, then I probably wouldn't find it as irritating.

I have seperate desks for old and new. On the left side of the room I have the Retro Desk with two sets of monitor keyboard and mice then I have a small cabinet between the desks and on the right is my Current Desk with my guitar amplifier standing on top of the desks where they meet.

I would take a picture of it all but my current desk is, well, let's say "unorganized" right now. 🤣

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 42 of 50, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
This will only work on PS/2 mice that are serial-compatible. That rules out most, if not all modern PS/2 mice. I went through […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:
Hellistor wrote:

Well you don't really need a "AT compatible" KVM. A normal PS/2 KVM would work well enough for most stuff. You can just get an adapter for the keyboard. The only problem would be serial mice but you can just have several mice next to each other, they're easier to keep around than keyboards.

PS/2 mouses that can be used as serial mouses with a PS/2->serial adapter exist. Wouldn't those work?

This will only work on PS/2 mice that are serial-compatible. That rules out most, if not all modern PS/2 mice. I went through quite a few mice before I found one that worked. It's a Logitec MouseMan, Serial-MousePort. This one:
http://gordogato.com/oscommerce/catalog/produ … products_id=176
I'm sure there are others. But these are likely first generation PS/2 mice when they co-existed with serial in the market, so they had to make them electrically compatible (they usually came with adapters in the retail packaging).

That's why I wrote "that can be used as serial mouses". I'm pretty sure early Microsoft mouses (the glossy white that yellows strongly over time ones) also came with those adapters.

Reply 43 of 50, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

That's why I wrote "that can be used as serial mouses". I'm pretty sure early Microsoft mouses (the glossy white that yellows strongly over time ones) also came with those adapters.

Sorry dude, I wasn't trying to correct you, I was just elaborating with more detail.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 44 of 50, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE!

I have now aquired a Roland Sound Canvas SC-33 as well as a Quickshot Squadron Commander QS-202! High Resolution pictures can be found here

EJAfskzh.jpg

1OR3cbZh.jpg

This is how I have the two Roland modules set up:

ivEMcQkh.jpg

The Midi goes into the MT-32 and a cable takes the Midi from it's Midi thru to the SC-33.

The cable on the left of the unit goes to the line-in on the Terratex Meastro 32/96 soundcard.
Thanks to the cable coupler I can switch the output cables from the MT-32 and the SC-33 within a few seconds to use the device best suited for each game.
I really like the sound from the SC-33 but hey, that's to be expected!

This is what the whole setup looks like:

IpX0Oekh.jpg

You might notice that I have switched the speakers. The other ones have a problem with the left speaker. I have to see if I can repair them.
These used to have a problem as well but I soldered a new cable and they work perfectly now. I'm probably going to keep these since they sound better.

One thing I'm not sure about anymore in this build is the soundcard.
The Terratec Maestro 32/96 is a fantastic "jack of all trades", since it has a good OPL3 clone and high-quality onboard Midi.
However, since I now have the SC-33 the biggest selling point for me, the onboard Midi, is moot.
There are also a few slight problems with the card. The DOS mixer doesn't always keep the settings and the DOS driver is quite big compared to say a Soundblaster 16.
I'm likely going to change out the card for the CT 1740 SB16 with DSP 4.05 (hanging note free) from my "Strix" Pentium build. I'm probably going to put a CT2230 (type 2 hanging note bug only) in that instead.

Here are some short camera recordings of the SC-33 in action:

Doom E1M1
Tyrian 2000 Jukebox

Now, the Quickshot Squadron Commander is functioning and in great physical condition. However, it didn't come with any drivers or the manual. I found the correct driver online but I can't find the manual.
Thus I have been unable to correctly use the device. If anybody has the manual, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could send me a pdf or even some crappy phone pics as long as I can read it.

Well, that's all for now, I hope you enjoyed it!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 45 of 50, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Requesting a picture of the jumper settings for that display. I've got the same CPU in a very similar case which I gave up on and left it at 100 for both turbo on and turbo off. A pic would be super helpful.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 46 of 50, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cj_reha wrote:

Requesting a picture of the jumper settings for that display. I've got the same CPU in a very similar case which I gave up on and left it at 100 for both turbo on and turbo off. A pic would be super helpful.

Sure, no problem.

Here you go:

LH0uYTmh.jpg

If you need the picture in a higher resolution here you go.

Just so you know, this probably only works with the same model display (TD-38S) and if you have a different one I sadly can't help you. Good Luck though!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 47 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another build using the VI15G, this board seems to be pretty popular!
Does your VI15G also have gold-plated SIMM sockets?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 50, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Another build using the VI15G, this board seems to be pretty popular!

It seems to be! But for me it was more of a coincidence. A friend of mine (Max_tor) bought a Cyrix CPU off somebody. During the transaction the seller mentioned that he also had a 486 machine somewhere, but he wasn't interested since he's not much of a DOS guy. He then told me about it and I snagged it and some other goodies.

The machine had the motherboard in it. I only later realized that it was the same motherboard that LGR/Clint used for his Woodgrain 486 which was the reason I wanted one in the first place. I was slightly amused at the coincidence.

I really like the motherboard. Especially because it has the same BIOS type as my Dual PIII with the GUI and mouse support.

Tetrium wrote:

Does your VI15G also have gold-plated SIMM sockets?

I just checked, yes it has. Neat!

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 49 of 50, by spacedrone808

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hellistor wrote on 2016-11-21, 21:08:

Maaaaan! Case!!!!! What's the brand??
It is super mega cooool!!

Obsolete Projects: https://trackerninja.codeberg.page

Reply 50 of 50, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi, friend. I know this is an old thread, but it's the only place I've found to ask.
I have that same Acer/AOpen VI15G motherboard (actually, I have two), the revision with a voltage regulator and support for 3.3 volts. It is part of my two old PCs, stored about 16 years ago and that nostalgia has made me want to put them together again (the other is a pentium).
I remember that I had it with an Am5x86 installed, or so I think, but since I wasn't sure I changed the configuration (I forgot to write down the previous one, a pity, and important!). In the documentation it mentions a "Misc 5x86", but with that the 5x86 did not work. Then I read that it is the one corresponding to Cyrix´s 5x86, and that it was best to use the configuration for the Intel 486dx4 . however with this configuration I measured 5 volts in the socket!! I tried with the configuration of the AMD DX2 and Dx4 and if I got 3.45 volts. The bad thing is that this was after testing the 5x86 with the intel configuration, so I'm afraid I fried it. but I have another 80Mhz Amd 486dx2 and a 33mhz DX (3.3v). I tried with the DX2 anyway, the board does not boot, nor give beeps, anything
two questions
Do you have any idea why with the configuration for the intel dx4 it is giving 5 volts?
Could you share the configuration of the jumpers you are using?