VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been messing about with this over the past week or so. Its gone through a bit of a change on the hardware front and i'm still configuring the thing!

First of all the DVD drive was giving up the ghost. It would not always show up on post and reading disks was iffy. I've had this really nice Yamaha CDRW waiting to go into something so I swapped out the DVD drive for it. It looks miles better and is better fitting to the machine.

MLHEDAzl.jpg

I've added a Matrox M3D PowerVR Card which sit alongside the Banshee.

NTB2yxul.jpg

On the sound front, once again the machine has gone through a change. Now installed is the Music Quest MPU401 card, CT3980 AWE32 with 2mb ram and a Yamaha DB50XG and a PAS16. Think this is quite a nice setup on the sound front and will offer a broad spectrum of sound along with the Midi Modules i have also (MT32, SC155 & NS5R)

4mW0u6tl.jpg

I added a 92mm fan on a Zalman Bracket to blow some air over the M3D & Banshee.

Oif5EIUl.jpg

Pretty happy with this config currently. Not to say it wont change in the future but thats the fun of these old machines 🤣

Reply 21 of 26, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I very much approve of the sound setup! PAS16 FTW.

Have you considered supporting that epically long AWE32 on it’s free end? With everything so tightly packed I’d be tempted to put a ‘leg’ on it so that it can’t sag down on to the PAS.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 26, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I very much approve of the sound setup! PAS16 FTW.

Have you considered supporting that epically long AWE32 on it’s free end? With everything so tightly packed I’d be tempted to put a ‘leg’ on it so that it can’t sag down on to the PAS.

Looking at the picture I think its a good suggestion mate. I'll see if i can find a nylon bolt or fashion something out if a Biro!

Reply 23 of 26, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well this machine has changed since I created the OP, but it still remains a Pentium MMX machine. Pretty much everything changed with the machine, but its pretty much complete now and don't see it changing from its current configuration.

How the machine is configured now is as follows

Intel Pentium 233MMX
Gigabyte GA-585HX V2 motherboard
64mb EDO Ram
Diamond Viper 550 TNT PCI Graphics Card
Orchid Righteous 3D 3DFX Voodoo 1 Card
Sound Blaster 16 CT2230
Yamaha SW60XG
Turtle Beach Maui
30GB Fujitsu Hard Disk
LG DVD Rom Drive
Floppy Disk Drive
230 Watt AT PSU
AT Case
Akasa 120x15mm Fan at the front
Dip Switch Mod and Working Turbo Button (Turbo Activates 50mhz FSB). Dip Switch mod allows switching 60/66mhz and multipliers
Windows 96 OSR2

Really happy with this little machine.

SBrUJBml.jpg
ZP1aft6l.jpg
jWmnpTbl.jpg

Reply 25 of 26, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-04, 18:54:

The is a great speced system and it looks fantastic as well. I really like the dip switch mod as well. Have you had a chance to play anything on it yet?

I was playing a bit of GTA on it earlier 😀 I really need to sit down and map out the speeds on it now I have the dips easily accessible. I know Phil did something with his 137 in 1 MMX video.