VOGONS

Reply 140 of 170, by phosgene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

I got another sound card. The Diamond Monster Sound MX300.

Dude, was that the eBay auction that closed at 9pm yesterday? I thought I had it in the bag, but got sniped at the last minute. If it was you, then you definitely need to use it in this build, if only to make me feel better about losing. 🤣

Reply 142 of 170, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems someone have the single socket version of the AOpen board...
Don`t like at all the socket 370 is useless if there is proper Slot 1 hardware...
Still maybe for someone this will be nice to see, i don`t like old hardware to be used with way too much newer hardware like new cases, new water loop parts, new PSU and other stuff is just does not look right..
In the end you will have old system that perform like old one, but look like new system from 2015......

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 143 of 170, by phosgene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

Naw, got it off a mate. Shame you lost though 🙁

No great shakes, you win some you lose some. 😀 But seriously an MX300 paired with a DreamBlaster X2... Might make you forget about the soundfonts on the Guillemot card. 😉

Reply 144 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:

In the end you will have old system that perform like old one, but look like new system from 2015......

Well, that was the point. Got plenty of oldschool authentic builds sitting right behind me. Just wanted to do something a little different. Gotta change it up every now and then ya know 😉

phosgene wrote:

But seriously an MX300 paired with a DreamBlaster X2... Might make you forget about the soundfonts on the Guillemot card. 😉

I completely forgot these existed. I think I'll go with this solution actually. 😁

Reply 146 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leak test sneak peak 😉

mIPFwSll.jpg
ET8fxENl.jpg

And Windows running on the CRT for this setup:

dlDuoyPl.jpg

Full photo album coming soon, hopefully!!! 😎 😎

So happy I finally made it to this stage.

I want to change the card backplates though. After seeing everything together, I think I need more blue in it.

Minor things though 😀

Reply 147 of 170, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeeeeeeeeees!
Your build is impressive, can't wait for the HW pr0n!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 148 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reddit gets the watermarked stuff, you guys get the high res images. Even though I'm awful at this photography thing.

Just click pics if you want a full size view of it. Some aren't great. I just put nice looking ones here. In no particular order.

CPU hovers about 5C above ambient at all times.

2uHeUirl.jpg
FbqHmX2l.jpg
iyWaIE5l.jpg
89wEF09l.jpg
NY9KHSvl.jpg
mLqw8q6l.jpg
2sBnW2Il.jpg
FQGr6zSl.jpg
LIT4fpHl.jpg
GW56SZyl.jpg
MNoHPqQl.jpg
oejJKe5l.jpg
gDGUmpIl.jpg
XbNBizJl.jpg
FGsHDpwl.jpg
R1W4sRvl.jpg
CPSID7zl.jpg
aLxkUm3l.jpg
8OPy5vYl.jpg

I still have work to do on it. New GPU backplates (again) since I want more blue in it. I would still love to cool the GPU some day too, but that's just proving difficult in this build because of space limitations.

Overclocking (maybe) and benchmarking as well.

But yeah. 1 year, 6 days later it's done.

Thank you everyone for your support and kind words over the last year. I hope I didn't upset too many people with such heresy as this project on old hardware.

More fun (and less ambitious) projects to come in the future, I'm sure of it 😀

Reply 149 of 170, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that's amazing! The 1 year and 6 days of work were certainly worth it.

x0zm_ wrote:

More fun (and less ambitious) projects to come in the future, I'm sure of it 😀

We look forward to seeing what cool projects await for us in the future.

Reply 153 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I've just been tweaking it on and off, playing a few games and thinking about any changes I'd potentially want to make.

• Swap the GF2 Ultra for my Quadro2 Pro - near equal performance from my benchmarking, but with DVI output. It doesn't look or sound as cool though. Reason for this is video capture.
  • "Better" GPU backplates.
  • PSU Shroud Backlighting - I've got the lights, just need to find the best way to attach it.

I'm approaching close to 9,000 points on 3dmark99 on the V5 PCI which is pretty nuts IMO. I'm not sure I'd want those overclocks on the card long term, so it'll probably hover around 8,400-8,600 depending what clocks I settle on, which is up there with V5 AGP OC'd cards. Can't argue with that.

Might do two different Win98 installations, one with 3dfx drivers and one with Nvidia drivers.

RAM Timing tweaks seem stable. CPU sitting at a nice 28C today while it's 22C in the room.

Going to hopefully get the Dreamblaster, and I'd love to get a VGA capture card to stream/record with. Too bad the Epiphan ones cost an arm and a leg. Hoping to find one at a good price second hand someday 🤣

Reply 154 of 170, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thing is absolutely nuts, and I salute you for making it happen. I have that exact same case for a modern PC and even using its stock functionality I hate working with it, so it's a truly heroic achievement to build something like this in one of them. Can you get a photo of it with the case closed, running with normal room lighting?

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 155 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Woolie Wool wrote:

This thing is absolutely nuts, and I salute you for making it happen. I have that exact same case for a modern PC and even using its stock functionality I hate working with it, so it's a truly heroic achievement to build something like this in one of them. Can you get a photo of it with the case closed, running with normal room lighting?

Sure 😀

bfvo24Sl.jpg

And yes, I didn't enjoy working with the case much at all.

Reply 156 of 170, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, and it goes without saying, awesome, awesome effort. It looks great! Thanks for sharing the process here, I really enjoy these type of posts.

x0zm_ wrote:
Thanks for the kind words everyone! […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I've just been tweaking it on and off, playing a few games and thinking about any changes I'd potentially want to make.

• Swap the GF2 Ultra for my Quadro2 Pro - near equal performance from my benchmarking, but with DVI output. It doesn't look or sound as cool though. Reason for this is video capture.
  • "Better" GPU backplates.
  • PSU Shroud Backlighting - I've got the lights, just need to find the best way to attach it.

The Quadro2 Pro can easily be overclocked to GF2 Ultra levels (its just a memory bump, as I'm sure you know), and performance is pretty much identical. The "doesn't sound or look as cool" is really up to you: I happen to really like the reference green heatsinks that come in the Quadro2 Pro and Quadro DCC. Of course, compared to your Canopus it may look pretty dull 🤣

For "modern" use—capturing, using LCDs, etc—the DVI is a godsend, I go out of my way to look for it in every card. It's specially nice for playing 4:3 aspect ratio Windows games without scaling: crank up the resolution to one near your vertical resolution, set "centered output" in the drivers, and enjoy pixel-perfect games in your digital display 😀

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 158 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote:

The Quadro2 Pro can easily be overclocked to GF2 Ultra levels (its just a memory bump, as I'm sure you know), and performance is pretty much identical. The "doesn't sound or look as cool" is really up to you: I happen to really like the reference green heatsinks that come in the Quadro2 Pro and Quadro DCC. Of course, compared to your Canopus it may look pretty dull 🤣

For "modern" use—capturing, using LCDs, etc—the DVI is a godsend, I go out of my way to look for it in every card. It's specially nice for playing 4:3 aspect ratio Windows games without scaling: crank up the resolution to one near your vertical resolution, set "centered output" in the drivers, and enjoy pixel-perfect games in your digital display 😀

For sure. I've got my main PC with the 1440p/144Hz panel next to this PC. Since I already have a powered DVI & VGA splitter that I got from eBay awhile ago for only a few bucks, splitting between capture device and playing on the monitor so I can capture at the same time would be a godsend indeed. Though I do love using the Canopus, it's so hard to find and I would honestly feel better with it in the retail box and on my shelf than in the PC if I can get "close enough" performance from the Quadro2. Last time I used it in a Coppermine 1000MHz system it was a beast and I believe I got close to 520MHz on the memory and don't remember what I got on the core.

I will be in Hong Kong and China early next month so I'm going to scout around and see if I can come back with any goodies, from markets, online or otherwise. Dual 370Tualatin ATX form factor board, I'm looking at you. 😈

Reply 159 of 170, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After coming back from HK, the following will be added to this build:

Tyan Tiger 230T (S2507T), dual Tualatin motherboard. Green PCB but worth it for dual socket.
More SSDs.

Will have to grab another CPU waterblock and some more fittings. The AX34 and the modded Tualatin can go into storage once I got everything together.

Builds are never complete. Thanks China.