VOGONS

Topic actions

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last edited by kithylin on 2017-12-13, 21:11. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds awesome! I'd definitely like to see updates. Don't see too much watercooled stuff here.

Those matched GTX-470s are beautiful. What kind of radiator setup are you running?

Out of curiosity, have you toyed with the idea of trying a Phenom II x4? I've been very pleased with mine over the nearly 7 years I've used it, and am only now planning to upgrade once Ryzen R5 is out (and even then, it's not a "necessary" upgrade). I believe they're much more potent than the original Phenoms. Not terrible overclockers either; my 920 is running at 3.4GHz with pretty modest voltage.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 8 of 24, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's some beautiful old style rad mounting. That takes me back to my first watercooled PC using aquarium tubing, a car radiator stuck on the back of the case and a tub of water outside the PC as a reservoir on an Athlon XP.

I certainly look forward to seeing the finished build. 😀

Reply 16 of 24, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure is this applies to BE chips... but in my experience these old boards suck at overclocking 65nm K10. At first I thought my Phenom X4 9650 is terrible overclocker http://hwbot.org/submission/2835134_havli_cin … x4_9650_253_cb/ and later it turned out it can do much better when using better board http://hwbot.org/submission/3314229_havli_cin … _x4_9650_290_cb

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 18 of 24, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I don't know what exactly the problem is, however my MSI K9A2 Platinum (790FX + SB600) is even worse than AM2NF3-VSTA. For overcloking K8 it is perfect... even can run 1T command rate, which is not very common for DDR2. But 65nm K10 is just terrible on it. On the other hand Phenom II X4 BE overclocks fine.

This 785G + SB700 is much better, however it isn't flawless either. The only working memory divider is 1:2, which means HT200 = DDR2 800 and therefore overclocking is difficult as it needs RAM capable of 1000+ MHz.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware