Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 226, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to vogons, d4m3d!

d4m3d wrote on 2021-07-01, 13:18:
... so, i've got the workstation in this config: single 933/133/256 slot1 cpu, dummy in the other slot, dual 128mb 40ns rimms wi […]
Show full quote

so, i've got the workstation in this config: single 933/133/256 slot1 cpu, dummy in the other slot, dual 128mb 40ns rimms with no crimms in the other 2 slots.
it was sold as 'broken (not starting)', but i have figured out it was just the battery so it's now starting, giving the error beeps about the absent memory modules.
i am about to buy some memory now (serial number is 750711-702, so i guess 512mb rims is the way to go), and need a piece of advice - i have read the Hannibal Ram Guide about rimms and basically it says that more rimm modules = more latency (cause rimm uses serial principle of data transfer).
my question is - will using crims in slots 2 and 4 improve latency? i know its a silly one but i dont want to spend extra money on another 2x512 set if dual channel mode does not require you to populate all the slots and there may be even performance hit. 1gb is plenty for win2k.
there is also 40ns vs 45ns performance difference, i could not find any benchmarks anywhere but im just curious if there is any (if or840 even supports 40n timings)

I have not measured the difference in using CRIMMs instead of RIMMs or if it would improve latency in any significant way, so I can't really answer your question. The board does accept 40 ns RIMMs, I use modules with that timing.

I can confirm there are measurable differences between 40 ns vs 45 ns, and also between non-ECC and ECC modules. This is in both synthetics (SiSoft Sandra, AIDA64, 7zip benchmark) and real applications (Quake3).

Keep in mind that, as it was said before, the board may not boot with 512 MB modules right away, so you need to get CRIMMs or another set of small RIMMs (< 256 MB) to boot it and flash the newest BIOS. Supposing you buy a 512 MB set, and a CRIMMs set, you could test the scenario you propose and tell us)

Have fun with the board!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 221 of 226, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah funny, still alive the or840

I refound it due surfing , 2 people sell currently 2 Machines on Ebay ;
https://www.ebay.de/itm/115065487275?hash=ite … sK8AAOSw5XVfzSI~
https://www.ebay.de/itm/324858967959?hash=ite … 7QAAOSwLpFhfu-o

bit expansive, but mabye pressure them a bit hard 😀 "nobody" is buying RD-Ram - i bought modules in germany, where people had them listed for up to 3 years and i was the first to ask..some i even got for free, just needed to pay shipping, some 4x 512MB i got for 15 € incl shipping. If they are on Ebay for 10 €, nobody buys them, Rambus is such a freak-corner, barely anyone had it, used it, knows about it.

going and going the OR840^^- i remember i posted years ago, but still didnt do anything with my OR840 - i mean, i would just need to put it back together, powerleap adapters i have, the p3 1266 too, didnt had much rd-ram left, sold em all but..i went mad, due...nobody wants anymore rd-ram modules, you can get an infinite ammount for like 1,99 € or 3,52 Dollars - so i did pile up some again, just as good memory^^
and built fun-shelf^^ Even found lots of 1GB PC1066er Modules. https://imgur.com/a/5MHZ1l1

Impressive to see what youre all still doing 😀 especially the rd-ram overclock.

Not to strive off, but i still like the Compaq SP750 Board, max with 2x P3 1000 Xeon, but more space for Rambus, 4Gb, SCSI Onboard and even PCI-X. In my opinion the best 2000er machine..
On the other Hand..the OR840 ran with Tualatins - i remember when i had both running.."where do i play"..man what 1st World Problems 😀

https://abload.de/image.php?img=img_09646zk22.jpg
https://abload.de/image.php?img=img_09650cj7n.jpg

Well enjoy - should keep looking again and maybe fix up both machines again

Reply 222 of 226, by astigmatism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An amazing resource for the OR840 slivercr! As an authority on this board, perhaps you don't mind a necro-post? 😉 I imagine as more of these boards come into the hands of collectors, you'll get more.

My board is missing the DC-to-DC adapter. This adapter sits just above the ATX power connector and presumably came installed on the board. I can't find anything about this part other than the IC used on the adapter is a "12S3312A". Do you have any additional information on this? A part number would be perfect, perhaps its given on the underside of the part (I haven't seen pictures of that). Also - is it even necessary at all? I've used dual-proc boards with VRM's which were only required when the 2nd CPU was present. I suspect it is required but would love to hear what you know about it.

Anyway, crossing my fingers for a working board. Like you I intend to build out a rig with Coppermine's (P3 1000/133) for period's sake

Reply 223 of 226, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got rid of a Type 6868 motherboard last week.
It had one of these adapters on it, but i think i have spare. Will check and let you know.
Bought it (the adapters) at end of 2020 beginning of 2021 from some online store selling old server hardware. High chance they still have some.
Remember that locating it was not easy - some obscure naming at play.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 226 of 226, by astigmatism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick help everyone 😀 I've found some Artesyn parts catalogs (without pictures) so I'll get started there.

Bought it (the adapters) at end of 2020 beginning of 2021 from some online store selling old server hardware. High chance they still have some.

If you have the vendor and item/part in your internet search history this would be incredibly helpful!!