VOGONS

Reply 160 of 269, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got my hands on one of these boards.

Haven't decided exactly what shape the final build will take but I'm pretty sure it won't be as good as those already detailed on this thread.

Parts list so far - scavenged from other my other build

Lian-Li PC65 case
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Radeon 9800 Pro

To start with a very small contribution... The CD that came with my board is a slightly later revision of the image uploaded to the archive linked in the first post.

Main changes being a slightly newer chipset driver, multilingual product manual and unattended lan driver installation files for windows 9x.

To that end I'm uploading two files.

one text file with a list of changes between the cd in the archive and the cd that I have
link to google drive containing the contents of the cd - https://drive.google.com/open?id=16W_BjBTJM7_ … IzW_VIwy25LKIjD

Feel free to update the archive linked in the first post with this file

Still trying to find other guides/manuals relevant to this product, but intel seem to have pulled everything a long long time ago (certainly way before that massive purge at the end of last year)

Attachments

• Filename
    diff.txt
    File size
    13.13 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File comment
    OR840 differences between CD v1 and v1.1
    File license
    Public domain

Intel OR840 | Dual P3 1GHz - 1GB PC800 RDRAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - Creative Audigy 2ZS - Lian Li PC-65 - W98/W2K

Reply 161 of 269, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These boards seem like a good base for a dual system - if you're looking for files, @slivercr put a link (#4) in the OP.

I picked up an almost bare Compaq version the other month, the Professional Workstation AP550. Didn't come with much but I've started to kit it out with the basics

Compaq AP550 Wkstn 01.JPG
Filename
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

- 2 x 1GHz P3s (would've tried the Tualatin sloket mod but I've now got other dual boards in mind for my P3 1.4-S cpus)
- 4 x 512MB P800-45 RDRAM (Elpida)
- OS drive (still haven't decided between SCSI, IDE, SATA & mech or SSD)
- added a front fan & replaced a dodgy CD-ROM drive
- not sure about graphics - was reading the attached and luckily I've got both the Matrox G400 DualHead and one of the 3Dlabs Oxygen series OpenGL cards mentioned, so I'll try both

Filename
Compaq Workstations Graphics Product Positioning.pdf
File size
101.32 KiB
Downloads
97 downloads
File license

So far I've test installed both XP Pro and Win7 Pro and haven't hit any problems - may try NT4 & W2K later

Reply 163 of 269, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2020-03-14, 21:39:

good lord, could they make those heatsinks ANY larger? That's Slot-2 territory!

Standard fare for this particular workstation - somewhere after 866MHz the replacement Compaq processors have heatsinks finned front & back, though the much shorter GRMs seem to support them well enough.

Reply 164 of 269, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For future reference,

I have the Compaq AP550 in a stock version (2*128, 2*C-RIMM, 1 CPU PIII866)

In singe slot, the following adapters are functional with a 1,4 Tualatin PIII-S:
- Upgradeware Slot-T adapter
- Soltek SL-02A++ with Lin-Lin
- Powerleap iP3/T
- Asus S370-DL rev 1.02 with Lin-Lin

I've bought the correct VRM to test dual slots, but so far, I have not yet had any succes.

Confirmed not working (without additional mods)

- dual Upgradeware Slot-T
- CPU-0: Powerleap iP3/T+ CPU-1 Asus S370-DL Lin-Lin
and the inverse
- CPU-0: Upgradeware Slot-T + CPU-1 Asus S370-DL Lin-Lin
and the inverse

Unfortunately, I only have one Powerleap and one Lin-Lin, so I cannot test these in the dual config on the AP550.

Reply 165 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brt02 wrote on 2020-03-12, 18:18:
Just got my hands on one of these boards. […]
Show full quote

Just got my hands on one of these boards.

Haven't decided exactly what shape the final build will take but I'm pretty sure it won't be as good as those already detailed on this thread.

Parts list so far - scavenged from other my other build

Lian-Li PC65 case
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Radeon 9800 Pro

Parts list is looking good!

My build more or less "stabilized" around dual 1GHz CuMines-Radeon 8500-Audigy2 ZS-512MB of RDRAM. It does everything I want it to, so it works for me, but I do remember playing with a 9800 Pro for a while and well, it was a lot of fun! 😁

To start with a very small contribution... The CD that came with my board is a slightly later revision of the image uploaded to […]
Show full quote

To start with a very small contribution... The CD that came with my board is a slightly later revision of the image uploaded to the archive linked in the first post.

Main changes being a slightly newer chipset driver, multilingual product manual and unattended lan driver installation files for windows 9x.

To that end I'm uploading two files.

one text file with a list of changes between the cd in the archive and the cd that I have
link to google drive containing the contents of the cd - https://drive.google.com/open?id=16W_BjBTJM7_ … IzW_VIwy25LKIjD

Feel free to update the archive linked in the first post with this file

This is awesome! Ill add them to the "main" repo, just so everything is together--thanks!

Still trying to find other guides/manuals relevant to this product, but intel seem to have pulled everything a long long time ago (certainly way before that massive purge at the end of last year)

Oh if you find anything do let me know. The farthest I got was arriving to an intel hosted ftp that required authentication to download files. I could never download a thing. Every other page with resources for old motherboards seems to host no workstation boards at all (only desktop or server, the or840 is in neither of these), which is a shame.

Thanks again for the CD image!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 166 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-03-14, 07:37:
These boards seem like a good base for a dual system - if you're looking for files, @slivercr put a link (#4) in the OP. […]
Show full quote

These boards seem like a good base for a dual system - if you're looking for files, @slivercr put a link (#4) in the OP.

I picked up an almost bare Compaq version the other month, the Professional Workstation AP550. Didn't come with much but I've started to kit it out with the basics

- 2 x 1GHz P3s (would've tried the Tualatin sloket mod but I've now got other dual boards in mind for my P3 1.4-S cpus)
- 4 x 512MB P800-45 RDRAM (Elpida)
- OS drive (still haven't decided between SCSI, IDE, SATA & mech or SSD)
- added a front fan & replaced a dodgy CD-ROM drive
- not sure about graphics - was reading the attached and luckily I've got both the Matrox G400 DualHead and one of the 3Dlabs Oxygen series OpenGL cards mentioned, so I'll try both

Compaq Workstations Graphics Product Positioning.pdf

So far I've test installed both XP Pro and Win7 Pro and haven't hit any problems - may try NT4 & W2K later

Looking gorgeous!

Win2k works like a CHARM, I prefer it over WinXP for the machine but just because of the ACPI problems I detailed earlier in the thread (well, I also think it adds "retro-cred" 😁 )

If you're linux-inclined, give it a whirl. It runs quite well if you choose a light desktop environment, and the software is quite modern.

Reply 167 of 269, by Ponjiayulady

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I get an IBM version of OR840,but I can’t figure out how to power it up, it seems that it doesn’t have front panel pins like Intel ones, so tell me how to power up it?
Sorry for my poor English, thanks in advance

Attachments

Reply 168 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ponjiayulady wrote on 2020-05-31, 16:09:

Recently I get an IBM version of OR840,but I can’t figure out how to power it up, it seems that it doesn’t have front panel pins like Intel ones, so tell me how to power up it?
Sorry for my poor English, thanks in advance

Hi!

That's an Intellistation board. In the first post you'll find a small repository of files, including the technical specifications for the Intellistation board. File "d4ce3tim.pdf".

If you go to Chapter 2, page 3 (page 11 of the PDF), you'll see the Front Panel connector is labeled as 11—right above the top IDE connector. The power on pin has to be there, but unfortunately there's no pinout in the manual.

You can use a multimeter in continuity mode and check between the power-on pin of the unpopulated header you circled in the picture, and this Front Panel connector your board has. Alternatively, you can solder the pin header to the unpopulated location to give you more "standard" connections.

Either way, you'll also need a CPU terminator card or a second CPU. Without it the motherboard will not boot.

Keep us posted! (Pardon the pun)

Reply 169 of 269, by SWZSSR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys

I recently acquired this OR840 Engineering Sample System in Adelaide, Australia. My friend saved it from the crusher!

I hope to find what original expansion cards & hdd it had. PSU will need recapping as its shot.

Photos

49963486786_ff93c029ab_b.jpg

49962985578_bbd065552b_b.jpg

49963768542_19b1ccbd46_b.jpg

49963487526_b483f4be0b_b.jpg

49963486861_d54103e4ed_b.jpg

49962985698_63af003f0e_b.jpg

49963769407_7cbb42fd63_b.jpg

49963768792_c44672ff4e_b.jpg

49963769307_698bfd4d6e_b.jpg

49963768497_3564f69ba7_b.jpg

49963768392_a173156c8d_b.jpg

49963767572_9902ec3e9c_b.jpg

49962984088_3320bd30c2_b.jpg

49963486951_d915595f5b_b.jpg

5TH / Dual 233MMX / Kyro-1-PCI / Maxi-Studio ISIS
EP-MVP3G5 / K6-3+@600 / Geforce3-Ti500 / EWS64XL
Thunder 2500 / Dual P3-S 1.4 / HD3850AGP / Audigy
M919-3.4bf / 5x86@180 / Banshee-PCI / Soundscape Elite
AX4GE-Tube / 3.2EE / FX5950Ultra / Tube Audio

Reply 170 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What an AMAZING find! Congrats!!!

Beautiful board! The battery is different, I see. Seems to be an early revision of the board, according to the AA#. Can you tell us the value of the OSCON caps? The memory ones are 470 uF in higher revisions, and I have a feeling this is the only change to "support" 512 MB RIMMS. The CPU ones are probably 820 uF. Also, please try to make a backup of the BIOS! I would LOVE to put it in the repository.

As a sidenote, that PSU is BEEFY in the 5V and 3.3 V rails. I've been running with 24 A on both the 5 V and 3.3 V rails, but I'll try to get something similar to this just to have it "intel approved".

Reply 171 of 269, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
slivercr wrote on 2020-04-17, 03:17:

Oh if you find anything do let me know. The farthest I got was arriving to an intel hosted ftp that required authentication to download files. I could never download a thing. Every other page with resources for old motherboards seems to host no workstation boards at all (only desktop or server, the or840 is in neither of these), which is a shame.

Unfortunately my google-fu is letting me down badly. Can find any thing else related to the board that you don't already have in your repo. I was especially keen to find the QVL memory list that used to be on intel's site but to no avail. I have two pairs of Samsung 64MB RDRAM, with only the one pair working on the board, so was trying to figure out why.

I did find that Fujitsu used to sell a workstation with this motherboard - CELSIUS 650 (board is D1181) and they still have bios files up on their site https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.asp?lng=com,

Whilst the BIOS version numbers and changelog seem to match, the hashes don't. Might be something as small as a different splash screen logo, but i'm not sure - a quick google seems to show built in audio on that motherboard which might explain it too. There's a picture of the board on this listing https://www.yoycart.com/Product/44161403191/

SWZSSR wrote on 2020-06-05, 02:05:

I recently acquired this OR840 Engineering Sample System in Adelaide, Australia. My friend saved it from the crusher!

What a find!

Wonder what the differences are between the board in that engineering system and a retail one? So far i can see that the BIOS chip looks like it is socketed?

Intel OR840 | Dual P3 1GHz - 1GB PC800 RDRAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - Creative Audigy 2ZS - Lian Li PC-65 - W98/W2K

Reply 172 of 269, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@SWZSSR, quite the beast 😀

@slivercr, a few more somewhat related downloads from the Intel eBusiness / Workstation division

Filename
wr7003.pdf
File size
444.95 KiB
Downloads
89 downloads
File license
Filename
wr7004.pdf
File size
347.91 KiB
Downloads
80 downloads
File license
Filename
wr7005.pdf
File size
302 KiB
Downloads
77 downloads
File license
Filename
wr857.pdf
File size
134.19 KiB
Downloads
78 downloads
File license

Reply 173 of 269, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SWZSSR wrote on 2020-06-05, 02:05:

Nice find, is Windows running on it? If so then save files from my SIV utility would be good so I can check SIV reports the Engineering Sample correctly and if not adjust things.

luckybob wrote on 2017-05-12, 02:54:

I've always been curious to see if the 1gb rimms work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152328288860

I cant justify tossing $100 out the window if it doesn't. 😜

What about $25, it looks like the price has dropped 😀

Reply 174 of 269, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1GB Rimms don't work... A long time ago, I ordered a pack of 8 (50 euro back then), and all Intel chipsets (i820, i840, i850 even the i860) can't work with these.

These are for Alpha systems based on RDRAM.

Edit: An pre-production OR840, what a find!

Reply 175 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brt02 wrote on 2020-06-05, 12:25:
... I did find that Fujitsu used to sell a workstation with this motherboard - CELSIUS 650 (board is D1181) and they still have […]
Show full quote

I did find that Fujitsu used to sell a workstation with this motherboard - CELSIUS 650 (board is D1181) and they still have bios files up on their site https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.asp?lng=com,

Whilst the BIOS version numbers and changelog seem to match, the hashes don't. Might be something as small as a different splash screen logo, but i'm not sure - a quick google seems to show built in audio on that motherboard which might explain it too.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-06-05, 19:59:

@slivercr, a few more somewhat related downloads from the Intel eBusiness / Workstation division

Nice finds! I'll add stuff to our repo.

flupke11 wrote on 2020-06-07, 13:46:

1GB Rimms don't work... A long time ago, I ordered a pack of 8 (50 euro back then), and all Intel chipsets (i820, i840, i850 even the i860) can't work with these.

These are for Alpha systems based on RDRAM.

Thanks for the info! Saves people the trouble of trying 😀

Reply 176 of 269, by Ponjiayulady

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
slivercr wrote on 2020-06-05, 02:21:

Also, please try to make a backup of the BIOS! I would LOVE to put it in the repository.

Tell me how to backup OR840’s bios, I want to backup my intellistation one, give me tutorial ,thks

Reply 177 of 269, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The easiest, and most effective way is to remove the bios chip, and use a programmer to download the contents.

If that is not a option, there are programs you can download that will do the job as well. I don't know of any specific program off the top of my head but I'm hoping someone can chime in.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 178 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ponjiayulady wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:01:
slivercr wrote on 2020-06-05, 02:21:

Also, please try to make a backup of the BIOS! I would LOVE to put it in the repository.

Tell me how to backup OR840’s bios, I want to backup my intellistation one, give me tutorial ,thks

The "stock" OR840 forces you to backup the old BIOS when you try to flash a new one. From what I remember, when I flashed the Intellistation version it didn't have this behavior.

The readme file that comes with the Intellistation BIOS update has some information, but I don't remember anything about backing up the current BIOS. It mentions copying your current CMOS configuration, flashing new CPU microcodes, but nothing about backing up.

All this to say: I don't know how to back up yours 🙁

Reply 179 of 269, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The FLASH2 app doesn't seem to have a backup option and the ftp only has the last two versions (44a & 43a), although all the others are cumulative anyway

Filename
CHANGES_NEW.txt
File size
3.75 KiB
Downloads
74 downloads
File license