VOGONS

Reply 181 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-06-21, 01:34:

Flip the front fan around so it draw air into case. (intel engineering sample).

Cheers,

Good catch!

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 182 of 269, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys! I bought my OR840 a few years ago now, and it looks like while the seller was cleaning they found the original CD that came with the board! I was thrilled and definitely wanted to get this stuff preserved.

Part number on the disc is A05449-002.

README states it is "Release 1.1", dated November 29, 1999. I'm taking an image of the contents and will happily scan the label side of the disc before uploading to cloud storage (or to vogonsdrivers.com), if it is useful or interesting to you all!

Reply 185 of 269, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
doogie wrote on 2020-07-26, 20:54:

Hey guys! I bought my OR840 a few years ago now, and it looks like while the seller was cleaning they found the original CD that came with the board! I was thrilled and definitely wanted to get this stuff preserved.

Part number on the disc is A05449-002.

README states it is "Release 1.1", dated November 29, 1999. I'm taking an image of the contents and will happily scan the label side of the disc before uploading to cloud storage (or to vogonsdrivers.com), if it is useful or interesting to you all!

v1 & v1.1 are already imaged in the file repository provided by @slivercr

https://mega.nz/folder/sxwFnQpS#LXEdWX3bh9Tdsfx0XKsCvA

Reply 186 of 269, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for calling that out - Took a look at the repo, and indeed there doesn't seem to be any difference between the disc I have and the v1.1 @silvercr already posted. In that case, apologies for the thread bump guys, nothing to see here, move along.

Reply 187 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No apologies necessary, in fact I'd be interested in the scan of the label.

doogie wrote on 2020-07-27, 17:46:

Thanks for calling that out - Took a look at the repo, and indeed there doesn't seem to be any difference between the disc I have and the v1.1 @silvercr already posted.

All credit goes to brt02 for that version, not to me!

Reply 189 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-07-27, 20:17:

Does 800mhz ram worth it? Which sticks are compatible with out mods.

The biggest supported RIMMs are 512 MB ones, if you have a compatible motherboard. User @doogie had a board that didn't support 512 MB RIMMs if I recall correctly, and after a recap where he used slightly bigger capacitors, 512 MB RIMMs worked fine. I think the only difference between "compatible" and "non-compatible" are these capacitors, but don't quote me on that.

I can't really tell you if PC800 RIMMs are worth it because I only have PC800 RIMMs—I have never tested slower frequencies.
What I can tell you is that in synthetics you will see small differences for sure when testing

• ECC vs Non-ECC
  • 40 vs 45 ns latencies

So all in all, best in slot* RAM would be four 512 MB, Non-ECC, PC800-40 (or possibly 32, are there such RIMMs?) sticks.
I personally use four 512 MB, PC800-40 with ECC and can't be bothered to look for Non-ECC ones.

*taking best to mean biggest and fastest.

Reply 190 of 269, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote on 2020-07-27, 20:05:

No apologies necessary, in fact I'd be interested in the scan of the label.

No problem there!

Attachments

• IMG_20200729_0003.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200729_0003.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 191 of 269, by RetroHamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

Been doing a bit of research on this board as i just received the OR840, a P4 celeron rig and some scsi bits locally for £10. I was buying the lot as is, so no guarantee that they were ever going to work.

Sadly the OR840 seems dead but the PSU is working as power is getting to the PS2 ports and lighting up the mouse. I am assuming that 300W compatible board is enough juice for these boards.

When trying to power the board on, absolutely nothing happens. No beeps, attempted fan spins or even smoke (Thankfully). I've reseated the RAM and CPUs, used different GPUs and nothing. I have no other replacements for the RAM or CPUs atm so limited on what I can fully rule out at this time. I will mod a modern PSU at some point so that juice part is ruled out and will see if I can get other ram sticks, but at this time I have little time to spare to really start testing capacitors and so on.

I do hope it's not a dead board, but for the price I can't complain

Attachments

Reply 192 of 269, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could be a dead CMOS battery? That would prevent the board from powering on at all. Should be a CR2450 cell.

Intel OR840 | Dual P3 1GHz - 1GB PC800 RDRAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - Creative Audigy 2ZS - Lian Li PC-65 - W98/W2K

Reply 195 of 269, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

np, glad that was it.

I wasn't expecting a dead battery to stop the board from powering on when I first got mine either.

You've got yourself a bit of a steal at £10 now.

Intel OR840 | Dual P3 1GHz - 1GB PC800 RDRAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - Creative Audigy 2ZS - Lian Li PC-65 - W98/W2K

Reply 197 of 269, by RetroHamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a dozen motherboards ranging from socket 462 upto AM4, and have never seen this issue upto now. Glad it works and I think it's glad too, as several of it capacitors are bulging with excitement.

Will get them changed Asap. It also came with an Nvidia Geforce 2 pro that sweetened the deal even more and should be more beefier than the Voodoo 3 3000 I have in another rig. I can even push it upto a a FX5500 if it needs a more (POS).

Thanks again

Reply 198 of 269, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-08-10, 10:50:

It's crazy how some boards work fine with a dead cmos battery and some just act dead

Had no idea some boards did not boot without a functioning battery either

I've only started messing around with older hardware recently and I already know not to expect CMOS batteries on used hardware to work.

I lost count of the time I wasted with my multimeter trying to figure out why this board was not booting up. Replaced the battery and it started up - then gave me beeps for incompatible memory 🤣. All part of the fun I suppose.

Reply 199 of 269, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any programs that manage to display the RIMM SPD data please?

Looking in the manual there seems to be an SMBus multiplexor that switches between different partitions, but I can't find out how to switch it so SIV only sees the Partition 2 and maybe 1 devices.

file.php?id=94671
file.php?id=94672

Attachments