VOGONS

First post, by kalyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found myself in a bit of a nostalgic mood lately, so I started a little retro computing project. Collecting machines I came in contact with in my early days.
One piece to the puzzle I found in the basement at work. Shortly before being scraped and luckily without a spilled battery. Not like the 5 other mainboards I came across down there 🙁.
7dUhoHD.jpg?1

It is an Advanced Logic Research Business VEISA 386DX 33. Here are the specs:

• ALR Power/Business Mainboard
  • 386DX 33MHz Module without the coprocessor
  • 64kb cache module
  • 1MB onboard RAM
  • currently 4MB extra RAM installed
  • Tseng Labs VGA ET4000AX video card 1MB RAM
  • Adaptec 1540b ISA SCSI controller
  • 3 1/2 182 MB SCSI HDD FUJITSU M2614ESA
  • 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 TEAC 505-000 combo floppy drive (I suspect this was not the original drive)
  • ALR keyboard

After a lot of cleaning and taking everything apart (sorry for not documenting the process) I'm quite pleased with what I came up.
ZVY5IU9.jpg?1

And it boots up!
8fF95Dv.jpg?1

Of course I have done some first benchmarks:
CheckIt 3.0
K8j8Qz8.jpg?1

Cachechk 4
izKZGD0.jpg?1
Looks like the cache 64k cache module is working also cachechk reports the machine does not have cache.

Thanks to 386_junkie for providing me a link to the EISA configuration utility.
Z475Ruu.jpg?1

What modifications are planned:

• EISA Ethernet Network Card (found an CNET 950e on ebay)

Still searching for:

• 387DX 33 co-processor
  • 8bit or 16bit Soundblaster
  • getting some old dos games on there

feel free to comment and ask questions.

Reply 1 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No EISA SCSI?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 16, by kalyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No unfortunately no EISA SCSI. At least the EISA configuration utility can be used for setting the jumpers. Maybe adding an AHA-174* to the wishlist 😀.

Still not sure what Sound Blaster would be best to get. Would an AWE 32 be a good choice?

Reply 4 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool system!
I have a bit of a thing about transparent bay covers, don't know why any cover is annoying really, but they look cool!
Matching keyboard is nice bonus as well.

SB Pro would probably suit the system more but AWE32 will work fine as well, Worst case most games will treat it like a SB16.

Reply 5 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaaaawwww waow!

Tremendous system you have there, and it's so good to see the pictures!

Looking at the motherboard I'm curious to find if this is can also be a dual CPU system. Looking at the board next to the RAM, there is a brown slot there which could be for another CPU card.

I have also the 386 module which you have, hoever, I did a slight modification by de-soldering the crystal oscillator and soldering in place a socket so that any crystal oscialltor can be installed i.e. changing the current 66.66 to a 80.00 with AMD DX40 CPU. After extensive testing I can confirm that there are no additional heat signatures and the cache on that ALR module is rated for (1/40,000,000 = 25ns) 40Mhz operation.

Good to see you found the config files well, thanks for the mention, just glad to be of help and get another retro system up and running, happy days!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 16, by kalyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will check the rated speed of my 64k cache module if it would support 40MHz.

Unfortunately I don't think the board has dual CPU support. The brown slot next to the RAM is for an memory expansion card. I have found pictures here:
https://www.recycledgoods.com/advanced-logic- … -card-12407480/
here is a description of the mainboard:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AD … NESS-VEISA.html

Curious on how adding a second CPU is supposed to work on your board, as the two connectors seem not to have the same length.

Reply 8 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to get 256kb cache modules for this system?

Reply 9 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalyke wrote:

Curious on how adding a second CPU is supposed to work on your board, as the two connectors seem not to have the same length.

I don’t yet know, but is does say in the manual that the system supports it.

kalyke wrote:

The 64k cache seems to be 20ns.

Interesting, this means in theory, you could clock the system higher with it still being stable, i.e. up to (1/50,000,000 = 20ns) 50MHz. The spare 486 board I have runs at 50MHz.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Is it possible to get 256kb cache modules for this system?

The 256K module I have in my system will be transferable, but there would be an increased latency as discussed above of 5ns, but hey, what’s 5ns between friends!?

54cc2a535193900.jpg

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 10 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I benched my system a while back but forgot to update it on Vogons. With the activity you're doing with the VEISA it has spurred me on to make an edit! 😁

Thanks

Reply 11 of 16, by kalyke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the comments.

386_junkie wrote:

The 256K module I have in my system will be transferable, but there would be an increased latency as discussed above of 5ns, but hey, what’s 5ns between friends!?

If I look at the results of the cache check I wonder if I would even notice the 5ns. At least not at 33MHz. It would be interesting to see if the 486 architecture has a larger impact on using the cache memory.

I will post SST results and try 3D BENCHMARK VGA V1.0 over the weekend.

Reply 12 of 16, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow. This thread brings back memories. I had a system just like this. Mine had a 486 cpu card. I had the ram expansion slot in my system, i think it added 4 30pin simm slots. Mine came with an ati vga wonder/ 28800-6. I replaced it with an ati mach32 eisa card. I no longer have the system. My mom threw it out when I moved away from home 🙁

Reply 13 of 16, by elb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies if resurrecting this thread isn't the thing to do; however, this seems the best place to add the following:

I just acquired one of these machines, 386DX-33 with a 387 coprocessor, 4MB expansion RAM, no cache. It came with a Sound Blaster 16 and a Tseng Labs Super VGA card with 1 MB of RAM.

It wouldn't boot when I got it, so I did the usual unplug-everything-and-plug-it-back-in routine, and it Got Better. However, now it says that the CMOS configuration is invalid on every boot; entering setup and pressing F10 to exit fixes the problem, and it boots fine, but it complains again on the next boot. The Dallas clock module seems to have a working battery, as the time and date were nearly correct when I booted it. I don't see another battery on the motherboard, so I assume the BIOS configuration is either backed by the Dallas module or some sort of EEPROM (which seems unlikely).

Do you have any documentation for this system? You said you got a copy of the EISA setup utility; is it required to save a new configuration? Is it available somewhere?

Reply 14 of 16, by elb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elb wrote:

Do you have any documentation for this system? You said you got a copy of the EISA setup utility; is it required to save a new configuration? Is it available somewhere?

I found this:

http://108.59.254.117/~mR_Slug/pub/EISA/

I was also able to find the configuration files for the ALR Business EISA. I haven't tried it yet.

Reply 15 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen some EISA boards have two Dallas chips. One for the regular stuff, and another just for the EISA information.

Reply 16 of 16, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello. I have not found the manual for this motherboard. The link in a previous comment does not work. Do you have any reference where to find it?
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/alr-bu … ness-veisa-asic
I have one, yet to test, but I need all the information possible first. It's a shame I couldn't find the cache card.
I also have this other one, which like the previous one, I couldn't find the cache card.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/alr-ev … ution-iv-4e-33s