VOGONS

My FIRST Slot A build!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never a big fan of the four diode treatment, but at least the filter will keep you from broadcasting your own radio beacon.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 21, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Never a big fan of the four diode treatment, but at least the filter will keep you from broadcasting your own radio beacon.

I also replaced the unsafe Y capacitors (they were orange ceramic disk caps) with safety rated Y caps.

There's also a complete PI filter on the secondary. At least this was one of the designs that I could improve. There's an older revision of this that I don't even bother to work on anymore, as there are missing spots, and at least one of the PI coils space was designed so stupid in the older revision that it prevents me from adding the capacitor next to it back. It's the one near the torroid coil. On this one, they actually marked the space and moved the capacitor a bit to the left so they all fit, but on the older one it's nearly impossible to do that. I think I still have one of these older PCBs so I could take a picture of that as well so you can see what I'm talking about.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB