VOGONS

First post, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, my fellow geeks!

Let me make your day a little better by showing off this very standard 486 computer from its heyday. I have also put together a video which I will link to below.

Now, Brick is probably a familar name to anyone growing up in Norway with a fair interest in computers. The school I went to as a kid used to have many of these .. bricks. As far as I know, their customers could order a specific build or go for one of the common alternatives.

rV6Hs0s.jpg

Personally I really like the rounded-off corners of this case, kind of reminds me of how the boxy cars from the 80s slowly turned into somewhat rounded off on the edges on successing models in the 90s.

eaZ165T.jpg

Pretty run-of-the-mill here. 486 DX2 at 66 MHz, 16 MB ram, Cirrus GD5426 VLB video card and an SB16 in the bottom.

NTFmOJT.jpg

Here a view of the place at the moment.
The observant observer will observe the other Brick sitting here!

aaaand the video!

https://youtu.be/zjqLdQ4pQDY

Hope the video isn't too long and boring - please feel free to comment so I can improve on future presentations! 😀

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 3 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very clean build. Looks like an authentic representation of what somebody actually would have had in 1994 or so.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 13, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks you guys, glad you like it 😀

@ gdjacobs:

You mean these?

WiJXgEn.jpg

Ai1Vce8.png

Picked them up from a dumpster a long time ago, washed off layers on layers of party-smudge / people juices and painted them. Pleases my ears much more than a pair of "computer speakers" which I have never felt the need to have.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 6 of 13, by phosgene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow that thing is in great condition, no rust spots the case or tarnishing around the card brackets and connectors. It's a nice clean build with all the essentials and nothing more, and good component selection.

I also love the mechanism for the removable motherboard tray. 😀

Reply 9 of 13, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, mate - yeah you just don't get that kind of juice out of a modern bluetooth soundbar on batteries.

Little update on the Brick - I switched out the Cirrus 5426 with a 5428 that also happens to have the extra megabyte of memory installed!

5mop71U.jpg

I ran some few benches but couldn't find much of a difference. Probably didn't go too deep in the details. Windows' GUI is now available in higher resolutions and with more colors - but I'm not so sure I need that 😉

GeUHpsq.jpg

Now what if you could SLI these guys? hahah

Reply 10 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahhh... Norway. (Knew it from your accent)
It is a nice build, that are nearly a true era correct build. Nice job.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 13, by thisisnotanick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeafPK wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/rV6Hs0s.jpg […]
Show full quote

rV6Hs0s.jpg

Love cases like this! Where do you get a hold of cases like this in Norway? I can never find anything like this, though the fleamarket season is starting now. Hopefully I will get lucky.

Reply 12 of 13, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All you need is a minitower! To tell you the truth - I was driving an e-waste truck for a little while and I nicked a whole lot from those dumpsters. Don't tell my boss... I also let everyone I know that I will gladly help them getting rid of old tech stuff in their attics. My uncle gave me a Toshiba T3200 with the original bag, power brick and accessories after I told him about my hobby. Mother-in-law had an IBM 5155 with its bag and binders aswell.