VOGONS

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CGA says...

zPO6bI0h.jpg

This month actually marks the IBM 5160's 35th birthday, so why not show off my working (and pretty much complete) specimen. This is one of the later models: half-height floppy drive + ST-225 hard drive, 640K motherboard (fully populated), last BIOS revision (05/86). The latest date code on the chips is 8649, so this machine was made shortly before the XT was discontinued altogether.

I received this from Trixter, truly a gentleman and a scholar, along with a separate box of stuff to round it out: an IBM PC/XT keyboard, a joystick, some software/games (including a boxed IBM PC-DOS 3.30), and the Guide to Operations. The machine itself is very well-equipped too, complete with an XT-CF adapter, an IBM CGA board, and a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0, but more about that in a bit.

vsTqH58l.jpg zeaiECbm.jpg

This thing went through a bit of a misadventure en-route to me. USPS turned out to have some inexplicable restrictions on package sizes to my country - except for Global Priority Express shipments... and I don't need to tell you how much that would've cost. The only available box that satisfied these arbitrary limits didn't leave much room for extra protective padding on the sides. After some consideration, we decided to brave it anyway: those early IBMs are built like brick shithouses and could stand being knocked around a bit, right? So, off it went on its merry way with as much compressed foam as could be stuffed around the sides and corners.

My first clue that something was wrong came when I picked up the package from the post office, and heard the ominous yet unmistakable sounds of something rattling inside... uh oh. Opening it up, it was immediately evident that we had underestimated our respective postal services' capacity for malicious damage.

e0xZeLUt.jpg yRyiU3Dt.jpg QNpOI9Gt.jpg KYfkA6st.jpg

In case these photos do not convey the full magnitude of the crime: something, somehow, has managed to apply such a massive amount of force to this box that the corners of the cover were savagely bent inwards at the back, on both sides. Remember, we're talking heavy-gauge sheet metal. This initially prevented me from even removing the cover at all, until I employed a screwdriver and a hammer rather forcefully (the thought still makes me wince a little).

The cover yielded, and it transpired that the rattling I'd heard was only the PC speaker, which had been knocked out of its holder; that was the least of my problems. The back panel (also metal) evidently got a vicious whack on its right side, just where the card brackets go. This shoved everything forward, also slamming the full-length CGA board against the front of the case and dislodging the little plastic brace that keeps it in place there. The hard drive bay cover wasn't spared either; one of the lobes where it's screwed to the chassis was broken off.

vJjqXuMl.jpg

None of the important components appeared to be busted or injured, but this naturally left me a bit dispirited, fearing damage to the cards, the slots and/or the motherboard... let alone the bits I couldn't inspect at a glance, like the mechanical innards of the floppy drive. However, testing was gonna have to wait, since I was going away for a couple of weeks and didn't yet have a 220V→110V step-down transformer (the PSU is American).

Imagine my considerable delight when I came back, got the power converter, plugged everything in, and gingery flipped the Big Red Switch... then the RAM test crawled its way up the count, to finally greet me with this heart-warming display:

clrkYFol.jpg

Rock 'n' roll! Yep, it Just Worked. Actually, everything just worked; the CF card was helpfully packed with diagnostic programs, music/graphics stuff and so on, so I soon established that there were no casualties except the aesthetics: from the sound card to the floppy drive, all systems are go.

See, those early IBMs were sturdy steel beasts and for that I am thankful. I'm not sure how they managed to inflict such next level punishment on the package, but they must've tried real hard to brutalize it like that. If this was any kind of plastic-cased computer (or monitor), I'd be fishing jigsaw puzzle pieces out of that box. But even with a few nicks in its armor, the IBM XT is a die-hard heavy metal warrior.

Now that things were looking good, I took out the cards, applied more physical persuasion where needed, and soon the case and cover were looking much better.

0a0PsL3h.jpg

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, what's inside?

• IBM CGA (later revision, with the 'new-style' composite output)
  • IBM Diskette Drive Adapter (later revision, Intel P8272A FDC chip)
  • XT-CF-Lite v4.1 board (prototype based on Sergey Malinov's redesign)
  • Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (CT1600)
  • Serial/Parallel board
  • RTC board (with a button-cell CR2032 battery)
  • Half-height 5.25" DSDD floppy drive
  • 20MB Seagate ST-225 hard drive (this came with the system, but it's unplugged as I'm using the CF card; I do have the controller for it though)

R3cY2eBm.jpg 3jFO9gjm.jpg OAHb3E9m.jpg NEJl69Km.jpg dajw8Kym.jpg lTrUjEBm.jpg WCEf15Qm.jpg

My modern LCD TV plays nice enough with CGA signals over composite, but that's not terribly convenient (nor 'authentic') so I looked around for something else. By a lucky coincidence, a TV repair shop literally down the street from me had a nice CRT TV for cheap - a 1999 Brother set with a TINT control, which confirmed NTSC compatibility (something you can't take for granted in this PAL country). The 14" size makes it a neat substitute for a monitor.

CuxIecph.jpg

Being composite, of course it isn't ideally suited for 80-column text mode in color. It can be made to work, but there's a reason why it's always been considered pretty much unreadable:

7hlscFdh.jpg

Last edited by VileR on 2018-03-27, 21:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The keyboard is in excellent shape. People talk a lot of smack about the original PC/XT layout, and it's far from ideal, but I'm not finding it that difficult to adapt. After all, the first keyboard I ever typed on was like that. And the capacitive buckling spring keys are like a party under your fingers! [*Read as an overexcited Rajesh from Big Bang Theory*]

2wkjGvhl.jpg LKPATh6l.jpg

The CF card has single DOS 6.22 partition. True, 6.22 is a memory hog on when you can't throw HMA or UMBs at it; and the first DIR after a reboot can take some 20 seconds to calculate the free space... but the 2GB of space are worth it, and so is the speed:

v7ZjaMph.jpg

For games, there's the Total DOS Launcher which Trixter has been working on. Not really final yet, but it works great; this is a game organizer/launcher which doesn't need any per-game configuration, lets you store your games in ZIPs, index them by running a script (on a modern system) and just copy them over and play. Runs on just about anything, from an 8088 (even a PCjr) and up. With a newer system you can use fancy VESA text modes too; but since I'm displaying CGA on a TV, I either run it in 40 columns (if I want color) or 80 columns in B&W.

ZGbvGlzh.jpg

Last edited by VileR on 2018-03-27, 21:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running some more cool stuff just for the heck of it:

0IxEW7rh.jpg 7piwbFUh.jpg xjr58DGh.jpg Nxk4AuTh.jpg

Going through these old games again on the original hardware, it's sometimes remarkable to find what sticks with you even after decades. When I was about 9 I used to play the shit out of Cosmic Crusader, and I got real good at it. You know how when you kick ass at a game, you develop an almost instinctual muscle-memory for playing it? After all these years it's apparently still there, and I can get "in the zone" with very little effort. Funny how that works.
TAKE THAT, MICHAEL ABRASH! *points to the lives column on the right*

CUzGZ3zh.jpg

So, what do I still want?

• An early-revision CGA card, so I'd have something else to test fine-tuned composite artifact tricks on (see 8088 MPH).
  • Perhaps a network card, for easier file transfers.
  • And of course: an IBM 5153 monitor. I really don't know how I'd get one shipped, though... there's no way it could survive the extreme abuse that the XT did, and I've seen enough horror stories of such monitors arriving in way more than one piece.

Reply 4 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oooh great machine and thread! awesome save as well 😊
nice to see good hardware going to good people 😀
Living is PAL-land has it's drawbacks when it comes to PC usage - but see if you can find a Commodore 1084 monitor that comes with TLL input/switch, it will work great with the CGA until you find a matching IBM monitor.

I also had no idea about the TOTAL DOS LAUNCHER - I will check it out!

Last edited by keropi on 2018-03-27, 12:27. Edited 4 times in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those first pictures of the damage are painful to look at. It's difficult to imagine what it must have gone through for that to happen.

Otherwise, awesome system!

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 6 of 11, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What game is the one after Leisure Suit Larry? It really looks like Windham Classics' Alice in Wonderland on the C64, I'm wondering if it's an adaptation of the same 'engine' (emulating the 8x8 char graphics in bitmap mode?)

Nice machine (& glad the shipping damage was only cosmetic! I have no idea how shippers manage to be so incompetent at their one job sometimes...) I love to see so many slots 'loaded' like that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beauty, eh! Love the 16 colors for the CGA card. Even though the system's cosmetics has seen better days (shipper's liability), that's still an amazing system, and it turned out nicely as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Living is PAL-land has it's drawbacks when it comes to PC usage - but see if you can find a Commodore 1084 monitor that comes with TLL input/switch, it will work great with the CGA until you find a matching IBM monitor.

Those are just as unobtainium here as the IBM ones unfortunately... probably easier to find around Europe, but one pile of plastic shards is just as useful as another. 😉 I really wonder if there's any safe, robust way to ship such old/brittle plastic equipment (short of financing a research in mechanical engineering.)

xjas wrote:

What game is the one after Leisure Suit Larry? It really looks like Windham Classics' Alice in Wonderland on the C64, I'm wondering if it's an adaptation of the same 'engine' (emulating the 8x8 char graphics in bitmap mode?)

Nice machine (& glad the shipping damage was only cosmetic! I have no idea how shippers manage to be so incompetent at their one job sometimes...) I love to see so many slots 'loaded' like that.

Good eye - that's Below the Root, also by Windham Classics. A genuinely good adventure game, BTW. You're probably correct about the engine, although I don't think Alice was ever released for PCs.

And yes, on such machines with so little integrated onto the motherboard you pretty much gotta load them. Two slots are free, but only one really counts because the slot nearest to the CPU is "special" (the XT's 'Slot 8') and will only take specific cards, which can't be long ones either.
Forgot to mention, there's a slight warp to the edge of the motherboard near the outermost slot, but I think it should probably be alright; haven't tested any cards in it yet. (This has nothing to do with shipping mishaps however - I knew about this full well in advance.)

bjwil1991 wrote:

Even though the system's cosmetics has seen better days (shipper's liability), that's still an amazing system, and it turned out nicely as well.

Indeed. The cosmetic damage would be my liability equally, I guess - we were both aware of the sub-optimal size limits but I decided to chance it anyway. And I've managed to undo most of the unsightliness, so I'm happy with the looks now. All it needs is a perhaps a spot of matching paint at those two corners in the back. 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beautiful machine and what a relief that it works after that abuse. I've had a few cases caved in during shipping and I can't imagine how they manage to apply such force - either dropping it from a great height or hitting it with a forklift I'm guessing.

Anyway, happy ending - have fun with it!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 11, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It always warms my heart to see these old machines up and running.
Happy that nothing was seriously broken. A lo tech 8 bit adapter would allow you to use XT slot 8.