VOGONS

Reply 21 of 24, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,

I have the same build.

I'm trying to get a sound card to work with this machine. I have the Ensoniq Soundscape Elite, with ESP daughterboard. All of the IRQ and base address checks pass. However, I keep getting DMA errors.

I've tried all of the DMAs (0, 1 and 3). And tried setting DMA mode, in the BIOS, to both PNP and legacy. Did anyone else get this sound card to work?

As a sanity check, my AWE32 3980 passes all of the tests. All sound card modes (OPL/FM, AWE and MPU) work with programs like DOSMID.

My ISA bridge PISA-KIT01 board doesn't have any jumper headers. Is that normal? Would it make sense to solder on some jumper headers and try different settings?

-Brian

Attachments

Reply 22 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jumpers are only for the missing boot ROM, they will have no effect with the DMA etc. problems. It is possible that the machine is simply too fast for the Ensoniq card.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AGP backplane is extremely rare. Seems only IEI makes this.

Yes, I googled and trawled the ebay for interesting SBC boards for at least a year.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 24 of 24, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-07-25, 12:32:

Jumpers are only for the missing boot ROM, they will have no effect with the DMA etc. problems. It is possible that the machine is simply too fast for the Ensoniq card.

That's a good observation. I'll try slowing-down the machine and see if that corrects the issue.

-Brian