XFX Nvidia Geforce 6800XT 256mb AGP8x graphics card
Creative Soundblaster live PCI card
80GB WD Caviar 7200rpm SATA drive
Liteon DVDrw IDE drive
Black Aopen ATX case
500Watt Thermaltake PSU
Windows XP Pro SP3

Original post:

(Hey guys, first post here.. Haven't used a forum in a long time so bare with me while a ramble on. […]
Show full quote

(Hey guys, first post here.. Haven't used a forum in a long time so bare with me while a ramble on.

Literally throwing some parts I have in the shed together + will buy some parts cheap when I find them and hopefully build a system I can run early to mid XP era games on without any stress.

I haven't really played with old stuff in a while, I have a dual Pentium 3 1ghz - Asus CUV4XD which I've watercooled however the mainboard has given up it seems so that's on the backburner and this will keep me occupied for now.

So far the system specs are as following:

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz Northwood SL6PC with stock cooler
ECS 865PE-A rev 2.0 Socket 478 manboard
2x 512mb Legend DDR400
2x 256mb Hynix DDR400
ATI Radeon 9550 256mb AGP card
Creative Soundblaster live PCI card
80GB WD Caviar 7200rpm SATA drive
Liteon DVDrw IDE drive
Black Aopen ATX case
500Watt Thermaltake PSU

I haven't installed Windows yet nor have I even turned it on to see if it works, I'll muck around with it later on.

Plan is find a Prescott CPU and decent cooler, max out ram which is 4gigs worth, later model Nvidia AGP card, a PCI SATA card and an SSD for system, bigger hard drive for games and maybe a prettier case for aesthetic reasons alone..)

Pics:
BDPQ119.jpg
cu4Fy1F.jpg
RrqmO6L.jpg

Not going to do much more with this, Works exactly how I wanted it to however it is a bit overkill for what I need so i've started a new build which can be found here - Pentium 3 build - Old and New school blend

Last edited by D3FEKT on 2018-07-22, 20:55. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by D3FEKT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Added pics to first post..

I found an old Asus board in my storage with a 2.8ghz Northwood SL6WJ cpu however I accidentally delidded it when removing heatsink due to old thermal paste and bent a few pins too.

I also picked up for $10 an XFX Geforce 6800 AGP card to replace the Radeon 9550 once I get it running.

Question I have does the Prescott have any advantage over the Northwood other than SSE3?
If it makes no difference as said then I'll try get the pins fixed on this cpu I delidded 🤣.

XFX Geforce 6800
YkpnACN.jpg

Oops...
s1kHjuv.jpg

Reply 4 of 10, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There really isn't that much difference between them. I would personally fix the pins and run the processor. The Northwood is a great core and it runs soooo much cooler than the Prescott cores.

Reply 5 of 10, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The general consensus is Prescott (at least in its original, s478 incarnation) is about the same speed in most workloads as an equivalent Northwood... while pulling ~25% more power.

Also... lol. I'm surprised it didn't rip the CPU out of its socket, instead. A good tip is to twist the HSF first (if possible) to loosen the TIM, rather than just immediately yanking upward.

Reply 6 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If for whatever reason you are intending to watch Youtube or other videos the larger cache and sse3 seem to benefit video playback alot. Honestly the Prescotts run fairly cool as long as you use a copper core HSF and good thermal paste.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 10, by D3FEKT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well did a bit more on it today, added 4x 1GB sticks of Geil CL1.5 DDR400 so hopefully performs well with that and get some tight timings (New to this, usually just install ram and hope for the best)

Cpu I've settled on and slotted in a 3.0Ghz SL7PM Prescott and a copper cooler as I broke the plastic retainer clip on the stock cooler anyway.
Will see how temps go and might modify an LGA775 cooler I have sitting there if it shows the temps they're renound for.

Installed the Geforce 6800 into it for now and see if sufficient enough, I also have a Radeon HD3850 sitting at backup failing this..

Going to pickup a cheap 4.3 aspect ratio monitor tomorrow hopefully, I only have wide-screen laying around which just doesn't add to the retro feel.

RrqmO6L.jpg

Reply 8 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how can you bear with that AVC fan. I have the same HSF and I was forced to replace the fan with some Spire fan (of the same size) I had because the AVC was effectilvely sounding like a jetplane.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 10, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shaping up to be a great build. Really like the case, btw. There's plenty of ventilation available for a p4 build. It was a good idea to replace that 9550, it is not a good performer as a directx 9 card. The original ATI 9500 outperformed it significantly. Also, another note about the prescotts is that they do have a lot of memory bandwidth compared to the northwoods. Without dual channel memory or a ddr2 chipset, this doesn't really come in to play though. The same architecture that gives the prescott it's bandwidth also increases its latency. That all being said, I don't think you'll feel any difference. I have the same 3.0E processor and used it for years as my main and got a lot of good fun out of it.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 10 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a roughly similar build running Win98 and XP
P4P800 End of Win98 Support Build

its a nice machine when you want to enable all the graphics features like AA, AF, etc, etc turned on.
Getting Win98 was a bit of battle though (one i cheated and purchased the rlow patch) so not sure I recommend it or not.