VOGONS

Toshiba T1800 386 Laptop

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Bojan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very interesting 😀
I have T1850 with HDD problem (FDD as well, but this can be sorted by replacing belt).
De-soldering the original eeprom is not a problem, but editing BIOS is.. In case somebody did this and their machine worked, I would greatly appreciate the modified file 😀
Thank you in advance!
Bojan

Reply 21 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2018-07-19, 06:42:

I've got that laptop. The HDD is just stuck in some way. Disassemble it and move the platters ans it might come back to life ! (I've fixed 2 Conner HDDs if that kind that way and now they're perfectly fine 😀 ). I as also remember having to unscrew the heads and screw them back on attend least one offre them but i'm notre sure if that's also required

There is some foam/rubber piece inside that gets sticky with age and will prevent heads from moving out of parking position.
To get it temporary running it might be enough to give it a light slap on the site during start up.
Opening it in a non clean environment isn’t recommend.
Just one small dust particle could cause a head crash.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 22 of 27, by freddo73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I just found similar old computer, but I don't have the charger. This is the 1st step to start it...Does anybody know where I can find compatible one ?
New electronoc devices have very different plug and/or V A.
Thank you,
Freddo

Reply 23 of 27, by Bojan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Plus / minus 1 V doesn't matter.. as long as amperage is the ~same or larger.
As to plug, it can be changed, some power adapters come with number of exchangeable plugs.
Also, you have to have old battery pack in the computer.
If you don't have it, it's OK - just make sure you connect 10k resistor in place where the temperature sensor of the battery pack is. It's absence will prevent computer to switch on.

Reply 24 of 27, by ardefriendship@btint

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bgonev wrote on 2022-06-12, 23:13:

Any news on this topic ? Yesterday I've got a T1800 in very good condition, but unfortunately the HDD (MK1122FC) is not working. I've opened it to check if the head is stuck, but it is not a case.. The drive is starting to spinning for 5 sec then it restart itself (restart the spin cycle...). From what I've read on the net - the bios checks for the model ID (or name) of the disk, and if this is true, then IDE2CF with ANYDRIVE is not an option.
Any suggestions are more than appreciated - I want this baby up and running 😀

Hi, I'm an "old" Newbie. I have a T1800 , bought from an IT pal in 1990 when he moved up to a Mitak (colour)
He upgraded the T1800 with 6Mb ram and a fax modem. It will run but requires a flick-start of the heads & needs new batteries.
Anyway, I see here some folk have such a machine and if it would be helpful to anyone I have all the Service, User and quick start guides in pdf format which I will gladly make available to anyone who would like them. Just let me know if you will.

Reply 25 of 27, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put them on archive.org 😀

I don't have mine anymore, but I'm totally pro preservation of such things. Maybe also a picture of the ram expansion as those seem to be rather rare and I'm not sure there's any pictures of it on the web.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 26 of 27, by ardefriendship@btint

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2023-08-15, 16:11:

I don't have mine anymore, but I'm totally pro preservation of such things. Maybe also a picture of the ram expansion as those seem to be rather rare and I'm not sure there's any pictures of it on the web.

Thanks for your help. I'll take a look and do that.

Reply 27 of 27, by valdelol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2023-08-15, 16:11:

Hello,

Here is picture of my expansion of 8MB.
Also got a problem with HDD, will need to find solution to that. Think there is some emulation hardware with ID and model setup possibility but aint cheep.

Regards

Attachments

• 1711216897514.jpg
    Filename
    1711216897514.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1711216897505.jpg
    Filename