VOGONS

First post, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi All.

I'd like to share with you a build that feels like it has taken forever to get to a state I feel happy with and I hope you like it.

I bought this board with an idea in mind to make a small Super Socket 7 build. Its a Chaintech 5RSA2 which is based on a Rev.E Aladdin V chipset. It is hosting a AMD K6 III+ set to 550mhz and 128mb PC100 CL2 ram.

WvqRwAGm.jpg

Graphics are taken care of by a Innovision 16mb Mighty Banshee Card. I feel this is a good match for the CPU

mozvpLrm.jpg

On the sound front I have installed a Awe64 Gold With a Simmcon & 32mb stick, and my trusty Sonata 3D OPL3/4 Card

51N1In9m.jpg
OzBVNJTm.jpg

For Optical duties I managed to pick up a Panasonic SQ-TC520N 5 Disc Multi Changer which was BNIB! Its a cool looking drive. The Software allows for individual drive letters or pooled under one letter.

1Ei77A0m.jpg

And it is all housed in this really small Cheiftec MATX Case. It was BNIB for £15 and is exactly what i was looking for! As you can see it is not very deep at all next to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard!

GPXg6gul.jpg
lyZoHd1l.jpg
eHIfBOEl.jpg
TEBBRlll.jpg

I need to do some cable management and i want to make a switch to change the FSB but all in all i'm really happy with how it turned out! 🤣

Reply 1 of 5, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice looking build! Somehow I thought the M-ATX form factor was more recent than this and I didn't know SS7 systems came in this format.
That CD changer looks really cool. I saw them listed on ebay a few months ago and almost pulled the trigger on one but somehow didn't. Now I wish I had 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 3 of 5, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

Nice looking build! Somehow I thought the M-ATX form factor was more recent than this and I didn't know SS7 systems came in this format.
That CD changer looks really cool. I saw them listed on ebay a few months ago and almost pulled the trigger on one but somehow didn't. Now I wish I had 😀

I don't know of many M-ATX SS7 motherboards. I didn't know this existed till i spotted it. It has an ESS-Solo1 Sound chip on board but it is really noisy from my testing. I wish i could get to the bottom of the noise as I could then use the 2nd ISA slot for something a bit more exotic then the Yamaha card currently populated.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many s7/ss7 boards with SiS chipset were ­µATX, often these were OEM boards.
But s7/ss7 in ATX format were always much less common then the AT ones.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice build! The Banshee doesn't get much love compared to the Voodoo2 and 3. The CD Changer is awesome, as well!

I have a VIA MVP3-based uATX board made by LEGEND-QDI. I haven't had the chance to use it much, as I needed all of the slots I could find for my SS7 build.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build