VOGONS

The Compaq Systempro LT

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 30, by Shadow Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scraphoarder wrote:

Do you have the part number for the PSU? Im i right to think Systempro XL used the same case as Prosignia 3080?

Well it is the same case as all the other Systempros so if they are the same so is this one. The MB connectors are however different between the original and the XL machines.

The part number on the PSU case is: 136823-001
The PSU PCB has a spare number of 136896-001 and an assembly number 002382-001 apparently is a rebadged "Palancar Power Supply"

TIA!

Reply 22 of 30, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deskpro /L used the same power supply as well, just the PS-housing is different, but the PCB is the same. I successfully transplanted one to my dead systempro once, so I am sure. Prosignia 486 (aka 3080) seems to use a different more cubic PS, while Sytempro uses a stretched one.
eisapc

Reply 23 of 30, by Shadow Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info. I managed to repair it and now have powered on system. There were a number of other issues that I have been slowly addressing but the system should be good to go in the next few weeks. As a side effect I will have a number of PSUs, and other extra parts that I will eventually part with.

Reply 24 of 30, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eisapc wrote:

Deskpro /L used the same power supply as well, just the PS-housing is different, but the PCB is the same. I successfully transplanted one to my dead systempro once, so I am sure. Prosignia 486 (aka 3080) seems to use a different more cubic PS, while Sytempro uses a stretched one.
eisapc

Ok i think i saw a picture of a Systempro XL once with a case that looked similar tothe Prosignia 486. Maybe the late models used that case/enclosure (not PSU)?

Reply 25 of 30, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Funny, I own a Proliant 1000 featuring the same 486 system board as the Prosignia 486 3080, while another one has a different Pentium 60 motherboard. Probably some sysops or Compaq technicans swapped motherboards and housings from differnt machines and created these kind of bastards? Even the engineers did something equal in reusing desktop and server parts from different series:
Systempro - Deskpro/L same CPU boards and memory boards (except 486/50L using a planar instad of CPU boards)
Systempro LT - Deskpro/M same CPU and memory boards
Prosignia 300/500 - Deskpro/XL same CPU boards
Proliant 1600 - Proliant 3000/5500 same CPU boards (at least early slot 1 types)
eisapc

Reply 27 of 30, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadow Lord wrote:

Anyone here on the thread, except for me, with a Systempro/XL and both a 1.44 and 1.2MB FDD? I am trying to figure out how the 1.2MB drive was cabled to the MB.

Usually the floppy cable has connectors for two drives and often one was for a 1.2MB drive. Since its a Compaq i would not be suprised if the cable only have one FDD connector. My Systempro LT have 1.44 and 1.2MB drives.

Reply 28 of 30, by Shadow Lord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, but I think on the LT there was a std 34pin connector on the MB and the drives were connected using a std cable with a twist. On the XL the MB has a proprietary connector for the 1.44MB that delivers both power and signal. Then there is also a 34 pin connector for the second drive. I am trying to figure out if it is a straight through cable, a cable with a twist, something else.... I am trying to get the 1.2MB drive to work.

P.S. In case the LT is setup the same way as the XL can you post pictures of your cables please? TIA!

Last edited by Shadow Lord on 2019-12-16, 20:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 30, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadow Lord wrote:

Anyone here on the thread, except for me, with a Systempro/XL and both a 1.44 and 1.2MB FDD? I am trying to figure out how the 1.2MB drive was cabled to the MB.

Why do you ask?
You can see both different drives installed in my /XL in one of my prevoious posts. So yes, its possible and it was working last time I fired the box.
I just can't have a look at the interior cabling as the system is located 300 km away.
Another choice would be one of these fancy dual drives Compaq offered for a while (3.5 and 5.25 in a single HH slot).
eisapc