VOGONS

First post, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Edited.

Last edited by deleted_nk on 2021-01-02, 06:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as soon as i read garage sale I knew where your from, I did exactly the same thing with the cf->ide reader

Nice pc you need a front of case picture in normal light, can't have a retro build without showing off the case!

Reply 4 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ninkeo wrote:

Does anybody know if this particular ESS Audiodrive support a wavetable module? It shows up an MPU 401 interface when the card's installed but I have no idea if this is just for the joystick port or if the long row of pins along the top are indeed for a wavetable header.

Yes that card will host a wavetable module and is a great all round card - the only issue I see is that it's half height, so your bigger daughterboards won't fit on it. From what I understand though, all of Dreamblaster's modules will fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7Th4CZcCs

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And that problem can be resolved with a 26 wire ribbon cable and 2x13 box header. They're easier to find these days due to the popularity of the Raspberry Pi 1.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

love the FDD/ SD card hack, it's still the drive you need to use when asked to inset a disc.

Reply 10 of 17, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah be careful with that, I used a 2gb card on a bios that was capped at the 504mb limit, the system saw the whole 2gb, was ok at the start but once the card got fuller and fuller I would get seek errors on certain files and directories, so system saw 2gb but would only access the first 504mb

Reply 14 of 17, by deleted_nk

User metadata

I ended up recycling this machine due to the fact that even though it supposedly supports MMX chips, it doesn't actually have the dual voltage regulator on there, as well as missing the 2.8v parts required to run an MMX chip without frying it. When I made the OP I was under the impression that it had it. This discovery pretty much made it totally useless for doing much. Plus it had a weird no POST situation I felt was with the board itself quite often. The parts that weren't the motherboard are in storage or have been sold.

Reply 16 of 17, by deleted_nk

User metadata
foil_fresh wrote:

well thats a shame - what do you plan on doing now? still want an MMX system?

I do in fact have an MMX processor, though I'm probably not going to use it though since a pentium 1 system doesn't really have a place in my particular collection. I'm just glad I didn't try it anyway, magic smoke would've came out everywhere.

Having a 486 DX-33 (hopefully going to upgrade it to a DX2-66 one day) and a slot 1 P2 underclocked to 133mhz seems to fill the gap well, in fact the vast majority of the parts I'd used went into the slot 1 setup.

Reply 17 of 17, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is so nice to se a retro system running DOOM II and on a real CRT monitor

I have a bunch of P4 based machines and 4 of them I have chosen to dedicate to a 4 player doom 2 setup in my vacation home at some point 😀

And it gives a very nice effect, the picture with dimmed light
you just need one of those red LED displays that could display the "speed" of the system and jump it to 166

😀

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850