VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm planning on building another system, because apparently 4 retro systems just isn't quite enough *shrug*
This will be a Windows 95 with "Plus!" just for the nostalgia of the period when Windows was supposed to bluescreen twice a day.

Specs so far:

AOpen AP53 motherboard.
Intel Pentium 233MMX.
Matrox Millennium 4MB.
Sound Blaster AWE64 GOLD with dodgy memory.
8GB Western Digital Protégé HD, scavenged from a broken XBOX.
Possibly a Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB Voodoo 2.
Some spare IDE CD-ROM drive.

As for ram... I believe that the 2 x 32MB that I have in my 486 are actually EDO ram, and seeing as I've been thinking about reducing the amount of RAM in my 486 anyway, I'll probably use this.
I've had issues with some DOS games that don't want to run with high amounts of RAM installed (such as Syndicate), so going down to 16MB on the 486 might be an over-all upgrade.
So far I don't know what to do about a case. I'm a bit short on money at the moment, but hopefully I'll be able to get something next month. A second hand case, with postage (I don't have a car to go pick up anything from nearby locations), will set me back pretty much as much as a brand new case, so if I can find something with 3.5" front bays, I'll probably just get something brand new.
I also need to get another floppy drive, as I don't want to "borrow" the one in my Yamaha RM1x synthesizer again 😜

I am happy to take some ideas and input from you folks 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 1, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right. Found a nice case for this system. It will be a AOpen HX45 midi tower. I had the big tower version of that case back in the days, and although it's an ATX case, it still looks very suitable for a Pentium system.
The seller have to find a suitable box for sending it, so he said it would take a little while. I'll snap some pictures as soon as I get the case and start building it 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.