VOGONS

First post, by trlg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I want to build a Windows 98SE system with parts from around 1999 and was planning to use a Voodoo 3000 and a Pentium III 800EB but wasn't sure which motherboard to pick, I'd appreciate some help. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've been doing research for hours and it's kinda overwhelming since I'm not familiar with pre-XP hardware. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

800EB is 133FSB so the board you pick has to be 133 copermine support. Theres a lot of boards that can do that, so yea as to which one you should pick. If you gave us a list of boards you are considering we can say which one is the best in our opinion.

Reply 2 of 4, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMO only proper choice whould be some BX based board from Asus (P2B, P3B-F) or other known vendor.

BX handles 133 mhz FSB easily as does Voodoo 3 the 89 MHz AGP bus soeed that comes with 133 MHz BX. Would never settle for half-assed chipsets from VIA. Of course if you find some i820 or i840 board it would also be cool but BX beats them (except i840).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 3 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
trlg wrote:

Hi, I want to build a Windows 98SE system with parts from around 1999 and was planning to use a Voodoo 3000 and a Pentium III 800EB but wasn't sure which motherboard to pick, I'd appreciate some help. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've been doing research for hours and it's kinda overwhelming since I'm not familiar with pre-XP hardware. Thanks.

Is your CPU Slot 1 or Socket 370?

And with what purpose do you want to build your machine? DOS gaming? Windows gaming? Any particular games? You inherited the CPU from your great grandfather and wanted to rebuild your childhood PC? Doing it for a challenge? Or for your bucketlist?

So why do you want to build it? What do you want to do with it?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!