VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As any of you will know I have among other things a Beautiful IBM PC 300GL minitower. I chose IBM because according to me it embodies the charm of those who gave birth to PCs.

In the 90s and 2000s I avoided branded computers because at the same price they provided lower performance than an assembled computer, but now it is no longer necessary, if my IBM is not fast enough .. I buy an IBM of a next generation .. are now used very little.

But now we come to the computer I was talking about and why I called it SS7 / PII. IBM PentiumII / III class computers equipped with ISA slots are some models without a bus higher than 66Mhz and without AGP. The model after mine in fact, which supports the Bus at 100Mhz and the AGP no longer has the ISA slot, fundamental for DOS games.

My IBM in fact has the peculiarity of having the BX chipset (so very compatible and performing) but not accepting fast PentiumIII, the maximum is a Celeron566. I have installed a PentiumII266 (I love the pentiumII with the whole cartridge and not half as PentiumIII) which being unlocked can work from 133 Mhz up to 366Mhz. The maximum installable ram is 256Mb and integrates an S3 Trio3D.

The computer, therefore, due to its characteristics, has the advantage of being able to make the games of the DOS / win98 era work in an extremely compatible way and at their maximum speed being a very powerful computer for the DOS / Win98 period. For this it has more the function of a Super Socket 7 Extremely fast instead of that of a mid-range PentiumIII.

I find it a very apt configuration for games up to the 2000 threshold, combining the highest performance with the charm of having an IBM computer. What do you think?

Reply 2 of 6, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y6qj7 … GAfn1tRBNjeo-hh

In the pics you see a pci ethernet, and a pci radeon 9250. I have removed both because the net is not really needed and for a DOS use the integrated S3 is perfect. I preferred to leave more space for ventilation. The SB16 you see has been replaced with an SBPro2.

Reply 3 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a great system for 1995-1998 era gaming.
I would swap out the radeon for a TNT2, Radeons lack early features required to run early games of that vintage. TNT2 has good 3d support and 2d support of that vintage. S3 is the great 2D acelerator for dos with excelent dos compatibility but without a 3D acceleorator for early 3D games like a voodoo 1/2 the S3 will not be a great experience for anthything except DOS games without 3d.

1999-2001 is really stressing that system you might be able to play games of that period on lower settings.

Reply 4 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of people seem to care about unlocked Pentium IIs and I don't really get it. Why is this useful? The lowest speed seems to be 133Mhz which only helps with Runtime 200 error? What am I missing?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 6, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that you should unlock its true power by modding the motherboard for a 100MHz FSB support, that poor BX chipset is crippled badly.

jheronimus wrote:

A lot of people seem to care about unlocked Pentium IIs and I don't really get it. Why is this useful?

I don't get that either, it makes absolutely no sense to me in the terms of usefulness, maybe they just want to simulate poor man's experience from time to time?

jheronimus wrote:

The lowest speed seems to be 133Mhz which only helps with Runtime 200 error? What am I missing?

I tried launching Jazz Jackrabbit on a PC with an underclocked PII (@ 133MHz) and still got the error. Slot 1 system just cannot be called a truly compatible DOS platform no matter what.