VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scrounged some parts for a ~2002-2003 build. Thoughts on it? Anything I should look out for?

MB: Epox EP-8RDA3I
RAM: 256MB DDR400 (might add more later)
PSU: Modecom FEEL 400W
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Cooler: Evercool CUF-715
GPU: 3D Prophet 9700 Pro 128MB
HDD: Seagate 80GB IDE
Case: not sure, might go with a JNC "FQ-70" or a Linkworld 3210
Sound: SB Audigy SE (SB0570)
ODD: MSI DVD-RW

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 18, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I say win98se/win2k dualboot or winME/win2k dualboot instead of the XP, also I wouldnt trust something as rare as a 9700 pro to such a generic power supply

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 2 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:

I say win98se/win2k dualboot or winME/win2k dualboot instead of the XP, also I wouldnt trust something as rare as a 9700 pro to such a generic power supply

As generic as you might think it is, the insides are pretty strong, and so are the wires. I can post up some pics tomorrow.

Reply 3 of 18, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take care with that power supply! The only component I use new in all of my builds is the PSU! Barton 2500 is a very nice CPU - the added cache DOES make a difference today!

Reply 4 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a solid build. Out of curiosity, why not Socket 754?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 18, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote:
God Of Gaming wrote:

As generic as you might think it is, the insides are pretty strong, and so are the wires. I can post up some pics tomorrow.

After looking at photos online and seeing that the modecom website gives an SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER error in Firefox Id not want to touch that PSU.

Reply 7 of 18, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

that PSU looks sub-par at best ^^

if I would go for something cheap I'd choose at least FSP or the like.

I second this. SPI and FSP make good power supply and you often can pick the up for cheap. Just be sure to check the caps before using them. I seen a few with bad caps. Delta units are also worth looking into, but be wormed some have nonstandard wiring for use in OEM systems like dell, gateway and HP.

Reply 8 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For that build You should pair 1gb sticks of DDR, for 2gb ram it will run significantly faster in pairs and 2gb seems to be about the sweet spot for XP. Even if for some strange reason you didn't want that much ram, at the very least you should pair two 512mb sticks of DDR for 1gb. The system will run way faster.

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-12-10, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 18, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

For that build You should pair 1gb sticks of DDR, for 2gb ram it will run significantly faster in pairs and 2gb seems to be about the sweet spot for XP.

I missed that. Yes do opt for dual channel ram.

Reply 10 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

For that build You should pair 1gb sticks of DDR, for 2gb ram it will run significantly faster in pairs and 2gb seems to be about the sweet spot for XP. Even if for some strange reason you didn't want that much ram, at the very least you should pair two 512mb sticks of DDR for 1gb. The system will run way faster.

Way faster? Is there any non-synthetic benchmark that shows that dual channel actually contributed to significant speedup, on any system?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 18, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
Warlord wrote:

Way faster? Is there any non-synthetic benchmark that shows that dual channel actually contributed to significant speedup, on any system?

There was always a measurable advantage of a few percent to dual channel, of course, and it's been the best way to build any system. Now there are systems where multi-channel makes a critical difference, esp. using the APU.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 12 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:
Warlord wrote:

For DDR yes

Reply 13 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

that PSU looks sub-par at best ^^

if I would go for something cheap I'd choose at least FSP or the like.

The one I got is pretty beefy. Not my pic (haven't had time to take one) but it's the same as mine. The only difference is that I replaced ALL capacitors on mine.

As for finding a FSP in my town - good luck. These are as rare as finding an vintage ABIT motherboard in here, and ABIT boards are nearly non-existent here, save for only one 775 board I found in a classified ad.

The best you can get here for cheap are usually L&C based PSUs, Sun Pros, and maybe rarely you can find a '08-09 dated Delta (if it even works in the first place). By far, this is the best PSU I have at this point, and it does its job pretty good. The only one that's better than this is some "HKC" branded PSU that looks more suited for a low end 775 build than a socket A build.

appiah4 - I have 754 boards (GA-K8NS-939, ASUS K8N, ASUS K8N4-E) but I have lost interest in that platform. I would've gone AM2 w/ 64 x2 and a nF4 SLi chipset but that would be way too overkill.

Attachments

• modecom.jpg
    Filename
    modecom.jpg
    File size
    401.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

There was always a measurable advantage of a few percent to dual channel, of course, and it's been the best way to build any system.

This is what I remember, and I wouldn't call it "way faster".

firage wrote:

Yes, this is very significant, but hardly applies to a 2002-3 build. 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 15 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok maybe for a old chipset like nforce2 I exaggerated Dual Channel Performance but this is one of the reasons it beats the KT400 chipset atleast in performance. It should be a 2-4% faster with dual Channel. Considering it costs nothing to use 2 smaller Rams instead of 1 large ram, I find it nonsensical to discus dual channel always makes a positive effect even on a nforce2. And yeah Dual Channel makes a much more significant impact with later northbridges especially those from intel.

Reply 16 of 18, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For S462 Systems you need a Power Supply with high Power on 3.3V and 5V lane, >25A each. A decent PSU for this systems is the Enermax EG365AX, very reliable, easy to find and cheap.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 18 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

I believe the Epox EP-8RDA3I does pull CPU power from 12V though (see the P4 plug) some newer socket A boards did that.

Yes, it does have a 4pin 12V plug.