VOGONS

First post, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have soft spot for dual Pentium III builds. With winter season in full swing I had some time to play with them as well. Here are two systems that I recently dealt with and the build with Compaq AP550 board (customized OR840, has LAN, onboard sound and SCSI) was finished just recently.
I also have dual Slot 2 system with 2x 700 Mhz/2MB Pentium III Xeons. With single Xeon the board easily runs at 133 MHz FSB (CPU at any speed up to 933 MHz), but it refuses to POST with both CPUs installed at 133 FSB. Will try to add AUX power connector.

First system:
*Dual Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz w/ Asus S370-DL slockets (bought FCPGA2 adapters from korean guy and soldered them onto my existing processors myself)
*Asus P2B-D motherboard
*2*256 MB RAM (runs at 2-2-3). Sadly max amount (and in most cases even 768 MB) does not initialize properly on P2B-D/S boards, despite the fact that I raised VIO to 3.45 volts.
*Chaintech Geforce FX 5900XT 128MB graphics
*SB Live! SB0100 sound
*NEC USB 2.0 add-on card
*ASUS DVD/CD-RW drive
*Sun Microsystems full metal case (just had it aying around and though why not)

Also had Leadtek Ti4400 in the system and got 9500+ points in 3DMark2001SE using built in drivers from XP SP3. But I do not like the noise of the twin fans. Most probably I will swap 5900XT out for my 3DFx Voodoo 5 5500 card.

Second system:
*Dual Pentium III-S 1.26 GHz with modified MSI MS-6905 Master (ver 2) slotkets. I had to do some additional mods to have them running stable on this board, most notably bridge some VTT pins on the adapters and use lower value resistor on VTT -> PWRGOOD bridge (270 ohms).
*Compaq AP550 system board
*1024 MB RDRAM
*Maxtor Atlas 10K 73GB SCSI HDD
*Asus V9999GT graphics (6800 GT with 128 MB RAM), scored it locally just for 12 euros.
*SB Audigy 2 ZS + Audigy Drive
*NEC USB 2.0 add-on card
*Chieftec case

Attachments

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 1 of 2, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And that is dual i840 system.

Attachments

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 2 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Retro duel socket rigs are the future! I'm not sure why but they are.
Slot's are the most interesting IMHO, still on the lookout for a slot 2 rig myself.

Can't fault your builds, think the hardware choice is perfect. Will you be doing anything that actually takes advantage of SMP or is it just because.