VOGONS

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So here it is, finally done: my "Flytech Carry-1" socket 370-based mini PC from 2001. Interestingly, this model of the Carry-1 series seems to be unknown so far. The case is the same as the one used for the known 386/486-based models, but a bit longer since it has the PSU built-in.

Specs:
* Intel P3 Coppermine CPU running at 750 MHz (100 * 7.5, downclocked from 1 GHz)
* Intel 440BX chipset
* 256 MB RAM, PC100
* all the usual stuff on-board, incl. an S3 Trio3D/2X, which I'm not using, however
* PCI ESS Solo-1 sound card
* PCI GeForce4 MX 440 with 64 MB 128-bit DDR RAM
* 1 GB CF card mounted in on-board CF slot
* 40 GB Seagate Barracude IDE hard disk

Took me a while to get everything working, but it turned out perfectly. I can boot into a fully set-up DOS environment, Windows 98se (both on the CF card), and Windows ME (on the hard disk). Also made a partition for "data" (drivers, isos, installation files), which also holds image backups of both bootable partitions, one partition for software (tools, games, etc.), and one for temp/swap files.

I'll post some more pictures once I've closed the case.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-01-12, 18:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice - I do like these types of small system. What are the actual case dimensions?

I have a similar old ECS BookPC II that I've been meaning to dig out and see if it still works - could be just the spur I need 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More pics, case is now assembled (had to take care of two tiny spots of rust; also added two missing rubber feet).

Already installed and played some games on it, great fun! Next is getting my MS Force Feedback Pro up and running on this. 😁

Reply 5 of 12, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WELL DONE , this case is really nice 😀

Don't see a tiny small case with a touch of understatement really often. Do you know from which year this case comes?

You have downclocked due to thermal reasons, right?

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 6 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The whole system is from 2001, as written in the topic title. 😉

The main reason why I run the CPU at 750 MHz is because I don't want to overclock the chipset. The CPU is 1 GHz at 133x7.5, but the mainboard has the BX chipset. While the BIOS allows running the chipset with 133 MHz (even maintaining the 33 MHz for PCI), I don't want to go that route. Not in that tiny case anyway.