VOGONS

Working on a water cooled Athlon system.

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I lied. I did not buy a pump, fitting or tubing today.
I was on eBay looking if I could find a fx5950 or 5900 ultra as I do every day and I found grossly over priced GeForce 6800GT V9999GT 256MB, the rarer model with the ultra heat sink and PCB with dual power plugs. I made a low ball offer to the seller and he took it !!!! Wile I know the 6800 is not the best pick for a retro gaming PC do to the lack of table fog and 8-bit paletted textures. I'll have to deal with that latter down the road.

sellers photo of the card.

Last edited by Snover on 2021-01-29, 01:46. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 36067

Reply 41 of 64, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:48:

I was on eBay looking if I could find a fx5950 or 5900 ultra as I do every day and I found grossly over priced GeForce 6800GT V9999GT 256MB, the rarer model with the ultra heat sink and PCB with dual power plugs. I made a low ball offer to the seller and he took it !!!! Wile I know the 6800 is not the best pick for a retro gaming PC do to the lack of table fog and 8-bit paletted textures. I'll have to deal with that latter down the road.

That's a nice find! Coincidentally I have received today my (less rare) GeForce 6800GT V9999GT, this model: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-v9999-gt.b1133

I suppose the dual power plugs are useful for overclocking?

Reply 42 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:20:
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 15:48:

That's a nice find! Coincidentally I have received today my (less rare) GeForce 6800GT V9999GT, this model: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-v9999-gt.b1133

I suppose the dual power plugs are useful for overclocking?

The ultra had dual plugs for extra power.The ultra was a over volted OC'd 6800gt with better ram timings so it pulled more power. I'm hoping the card will work with ultra bios, a common mod back in the day.

Last edited by Snover on 2021-01-29, 01:46. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 36068

Reply 43 of 64, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:47:

The ultra had dual plugs for extra power.The ultra was a over volted OC'd 6800gt with better ram timings so it pulled more power. I'm hoping the card will work with ultra bios, a common mod back in the day.

I suppose as long as you have a spare PCI video card to reflash your GT 6800 in case the ultra BIOS doesn't work, then you should be fine (just set video card order to PCI first).

BTW I replaced the original noisy fan/heatsink on my 6800 GT with a Zalman ZF700 (the aluminum version). I would definitely recommend that mod as it decreases noise a lot, and temps are better too.

Reply 44 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:53:

I suppose as long as you have a spare PCI video card to reflash your GT 6800 in case the ultra BIOS doesn't work, then you should be fine (just set video card order to PCI first).

You don't need a pci card to flash back a card. That is if you don't mind flashing a card without a video output. I done it a few times before and don't mind having to do that again.

cde wrote on 2020-05-19, 17:53:

BTW I replaced the original noisy fan/heatsink on my 6800 GT with a Zalman ZF700 (the aluminum version). I would definitely recommend that mod as it decreases noise a lot, and temps are better too.

I'm water cooling the card. Even if I was not, the card I bought has the ultra heastink with is far more quite. Not that the zalman is a bad heatsink, they are rather nice.

Reply 45 of 64, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 6800 is a great find. Back in the day I had that card and was able to flash it with an ultra bios. The temps were good with the ultra cooler. I wish I still had it and the system it was in.

Reply 46 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-22-20
I took out the turbo display/power led board in hopes to fix the dead led's. Sadly the board is junk. no big deal. led's are cheap. I'll get new ones.
I still need to find a 2 digit post card with a external display to replace the turbo display. I may just have to de solder the display on one and make a wire for it.

Reply 47 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-27-20
Not much to add. I got the SB Audigy SE. I made two brackets to hold the motherboard tray in place as well. All that is left for case modding is to make the cut outs for 80mm rads.

Reply 48 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-29-20
I modified the cross beam support bar to free up space to fit a 80mm fan on the rear of the case. I also started marking up the case for the radiators.

Photos will be posted soon.

Reply 50 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-30, 02:11:

Very nice. Im looking forward to seeing the pictures

Thanks. I really didn’t want to post the mods in progress as some here would likely object to the mods on an AT case, but once seeing them done they would likely be far more understanding.

I can’t wait to get it done. But sadly I cant find the arbor (center dill bit pice) for my hole saws so the holes for the 80mm rads will have to wait awhile before I can do those.

Reply 53 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pii_legacy wrote on 2020-06-07, 09:11:

I had the same motherboard! I had a XP-M 2500 CPU though. I support your water cooling endeavors and hope to see some fun news from it soon.

thanks. How did you fixe the broken multi support on the XP-m for the board?

Anyway a update for 6-8-20
I only got one hole made for the 5 80mm rads. sadly my hole saw was way to week and worn to cut into the steel case so I had to use a Dremel. Not ideal and the hole was not the best of my work 🙁 I hope to at least get the second hole made by the end of the week. A little touch up and the rear of the case will be done.

Reply 55 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-08, 17:41:

Are the teeth to far gone to hit them with a file to sharpen it? I've saved a few of my hole saws this way it's a bit time consuming but it gets the job done.

Well no its salvageable, but the hole saw was to soft to dig into the steel case.
TBH the only saws I have that are sized right for 80mm fans are not meant for cutting steel. And I don't have a knock out for a 80mm fan ether.

Reply 56 of 64, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gotcha. I'm in a similar boat my hole saws are really meant for wood and they are ok for soft aluminum if I'm slow but they really hate steel. I need to get a good set of metal hole saws

Reply 57 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-08, 17:53:

I gotcha. I'm in a similar boat my hole saws are really meant for wood and they are ok for soft aluminum if I'm slow but they really hate steel. I need to get a good set of metal hole saws

Same here, my hole saws are for aluminum and wood too. I had a lot of sheet metal tools but I sold most of them back when I got out of case modding. So the mods for this case have been done with a drill, grinder and dremel witch is why its taking so long. I want it to look perfect and not hacked together.

Reply 59 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-08, 18:02:

I hear you on that. It's worth taking the time to do it right that way once it's finished the end result is what you wanted.

Agreed.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the project was on a short hold, I hope to get the last 80mm hole cut in the rear of the case this weekend and start test fitting everything afterwards.
At that point ill post photos of the work done so far.

I been juggling this project with a car project and a heavy then usual work load recently so progress has been slow.