VOGONS

Reply 41 of 51, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2020-06-20, 05:24:

Oh? Does v2.29 not run the x9000 CPU at the proper voltage? Could this be why my system isn’t starting?

I believe I ran the 2.29 Middleton BIOS first prior to finding the older, but undervolted NVIDIA BIOS based on the slightly older BIOS rev. I still think it could be just a bad/fake CPU. And remember, this older BIOS only changes the voltage for the GPU and is completely independent from CPU voltage.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 42 of 51, by pii_legacy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-06-20, 05:24:

Oh? Does v2.29 not run the x9000 CPU at the proper voltage? Could this be why my system isn’t starting?

You didn't respond to my earlier post where i asked if you had a sufficiently powerful power supply.

Reply 44 of 51, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thinkpads typically comes with 90W power adapters. 65W were for low powered very few models but T models does not, just 90W always. Also works properly when you have good battery pack. Original adapter 90W is best. I have collection of Thinkpads.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 45 of 51, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-06-22, 00:24:

thinkpads typically comes with 90W power adapters. 65W were for low powered very few models but T models does not, just 90W always. Also works properly when you have good battery pack. Original adapter 90W is best. I have collection of Thinkpads.

In the era of the gray round plug, T-series Thinkpads with integrated graphics did come with 65W power supplies by default. Of course, none of them had X9000 or similar in stock configs. I would not advise using a 65W PSU with that CPU.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 48 of 51, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I initiated a return for that defective/fake X9000 chip. Return shipping was $13 CAD untracked or $52 tracked. The seller sent me $13 then said they would refund the rest when I mailed the CPU. I informed the seller that since they selected an untracked method, they would have to refund the purchase price before I can ship it. This is also in line with eBay rules from what I recalled. Several days passed, but they did not reply. I sent a photo of the chip going into the padded mailer with their address, but they still didn’t reply, so I opened an eBay case. After 2 or 3 days, eBay sends an email saying they have refunded the full purchase price and that I do not need to return the fake CPU. So this is my question - did eBay loose money on this, or did they manage to get the $55 from the seller? I ask because I have the purchase price back plus return shipping, but eBay said I don’t need to send the fake chip back. So what do I do? If eBay lost money, I don’t think I should send the CPU back, but if the seller lost money, the right thing to do is send it back. What’s your opinion?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 49 of 51, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Artex, have you had any trouble with your T61 and 8 GB of memory after more than a year now? I've been using my T61 with 8 GB in Ubuntu 18.04 for about 7 months now and it just starting having issues. With 8 GB installed, Memtest 5.x (the one that comes with Ubuntu) will hang up on test #7 every time. 2x2GB passes or 1x4GB passes fine, but 2x4GB (8 GB total)or 1x2GB + 1x4GB (6 GB total) will also hang on test 37. It had been working flawlessly for those 7 months though. Got me wondering if I injured the northbridge or what. The CPU regularly gets up to 82 C, but normally sits around 60 C.

I tested both 4 GB sticks in the 2+4 configuration and memtest #7 fails both configurations. Seems unlikely that both 4 GB sticks would get flakey at the same time, thus I am suspecting something on the motherboard. I put a T7300 back in to confirm it wasn't the CPU at fault. Thus I am wondering how you fared over time with your upgrade on the T61? Note that I leave my T61 on 24/7 and it normally has a dozen or so tabs open.

EDIT: Looks like Linux kernel 4.15.0-151 was causing my T61 to crash compared to 4.15.0-147. Reverting back to -147, the problem went away. However, this doesn't explain how Memtest, test #7 crashes with 8 GB, but not with 4 GB. Artex, did you run memtest on your T61 w/8 GB and both cores active? Does test #7 pass?

Reply 50 of 51, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2021-08-05, 13:02:

Artex, have you had any trouble with your T61 and 8 GB of memory after more than a year now? I've been using my T61 with 8 GB in Ubuntu 18.04 for about 7 months now and it just starting having issues. With 8 GB installed, Memtest 5.x (the one that comes with Ubuntu) will hang up on test #7 every time. 2x2GB passes or 1x4GB passes fine, but 2x4GB (8 GB total)or 1x2GB + 1x4GB (6 GB total) will also hang on test 37. It had been working flawlessly for those 7 months though. Got me wondering if I injured the northbridge or what. The CPU regularly gets up to 82 C, but normally sits around 60 C.

I tested both 4 GB sticks in the 2+4 configuration and memtest #7 fails both configurations. Seems unlikely that both 4 GB sticks would get flakey at the same time, thus I am suspecting something on the motherboard. I put a T7300 back in to confirm it wasn't the CPU at fault. Thus I am wondering how you fared over time with your upgrade on the T61? Note that I leave my T61 on 24/7 and it normally has a dozen or so tabs open.

EDIT: Looks like Linux kernel 4.15.0-151 was causing my T61 to crash compared to 4.15.0-147. Reverting back to -147, the problem went away. However, this doesn't explain how Memtest, test #7 crashes with 8 GB, but not with 4 GB. Artex, did you run memtest on your T61 w/8 GB and both cores active? Does test #7 pass?

I haven't had any problems - my wife uses it primarily and she would definitely tell me! 😀

Anyway, I haven't run Memtest on there. It's primarily used for lap web browsing.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 51 of 51, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much. Very curious that your system can pass test #7 without issue. I guess the heat is getting to mine. There's a time of day when the early evening sun shines right onto the computer. I try to close the blinds, but when I'm not looking they open them up again. I've dropped to 2.0 GHz core2 duo and 4 GB and haven't had any issues now.