First post, by kalohimal
Built this rig about a year ago during my search for an all-in-one gaming PC, that can play XP/Win98 and most of my favorite DOS games. In the process I selected a few more exotic components just for the fun of it.
- CPU: AMD Dual Core Opteron 180 @2.4GHz (approx equiv to Athlon64 x2 4800+) socket 939
- Motherboard: Asrock 939 Dual-Sata2
- Chipset: ULi M1695 + ULi M1567
- RAM: 1pc Micron PC3200 512 MB
- GPU: ATI FireGL V7100 (R423, modded to Radeon X800 XT)
- Audio: Yamaha YMF744B
- FDD: 3.5" 1.44 MB
- HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3320620A 320GB PATA
- DVD+RW: Dell OEM Hitachi-LG HL-DT-ST DVD+RW DVD Writer
- LAN: Built-in 100mbps
The Asrock 939 motherboard is extremely flexible in that it has both full speed PCIE and AGP slots. I found an AMD Dual Core Opteron 180 selling cheap on eBay so I just opt for it. For GPU I choose ATI/AMD Radeon X800XT as it has driver for both XP and Win 98. Since the FireGL V7100 is cheaper than the X800XT, I bought that and modded it to X800XT. The Yamaha YMF744 was selected for audio as it has superb DOS compatibility. For playing DOS games, I use a small utility called CPUSPD which I wrote, to control the cache/multiplier/throttle of the CPU and slow it down enough for playing games from the 386/486 era.
Here are the photos:
Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.