Topic actions

Reply 21 of 97, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-04, 17:00:

TLDR
It uses less power, it's faster, and it has unlocked multiplier.

I know what a Pentium-M is, really. 😀

It is much faster than a P4 clock for clock, but since the P4s could be clocked much higher, the highest end P4 would perform on par with the highest end P-M. I've witnessed myself that in single-core, single-thread benchmarks a 1.8GHz P-M gives about the same performance as a 3GHz P4.

As far as I know, it only has downwards unlocked multiplier, which is, again a power-saving feature, but won't improve performance.

Assuming the question of power is secondary, I wonder if maybe it is more compatible with older software than a P4 in some ways. Is it?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Requires some experimenting. Becasue its not a net burst, and its more like core architecture, it has 2 MSRs that control its speed and utilities like cachectl.com work. so it can be slowed down much more than a Netburst.

Se thread CPU Tuning, Throttling

There is unlocked upward multipliers at least on the slower CPUs.

whatever software bugs p4s have, id assume PMs don't have, instead share whatever bugs Pentium Pentium IIIs have.

Reply 23 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got some motivation and time to resume making the build.

Found some cheap 2gbpair or DDR3200 that would overclock to 533 since thats close to the max the board can go.

Overclocked 1.83 ghz to 2.4ghz stable.

Ran some sandra benches to try and compare it to other CPUs that are in its ballpark like the AthlonXP 3200+ which is what I consider the competitor to the pentium M. Pentium has the edge though with SSE2. Will be interesting how it fairs in game marks vs that cpu.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    87.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    63.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    125.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    123.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 26 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 2.2ghz M somewhere. I read they are not as good at over clocking but I might try to see if I can get 2.6ghz out of it, and maybe find some ram with tighter timings that can run 533-550mhz. Very close to beating a P4 3.8ghz with a 1.87 ghz cpu with a small over clock, that id consider stable for everyday. Plus I am already blowing away the 462 Athlon 3200+

Reply 27 of 97, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have P4P800 Se and P4GPL-X (latter is PCI-E), with CT-479 it is one of my favourite retro systems. Clock by clock it eats Opterons for lunch in most applications and since gaming is priority it dominates that.
Back in 2006 I had P4GD1, loved that board so much that even though I sold the board I kept Ct-479 and few years ago bought P4P800SE and last year P4GPL-X (latter for just 20 euros + shipping 25 euros).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 28 of 97, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice stuff!
I had a Pentium M (Dothan) 745 1.73Ghz@ 2.7Ghz on CT-479 + P4P800-SE back in 2004
I used the ZALMAN CNPS-7000-Cu for cooling (just need to mount the brackets in reverse to make it compatible)

Now that your build reminded me I kind want it back 😁
Already have several P4P800 and getting the Pentium M should be pretty easy, but finding the CT-479 is another story...

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 29 of 97, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium M 780 @ 2.8ghz in my Win 98/WinXP system. ZALMAN CNPS-7000-Cu for cooling as framebuffer used back in the days. Good performance!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 30 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a case for the build. Once I get it in the mail, Ill post some more updates.

Not my case, but I'm getting one just like it.

My overall goal here is "An Intel version the the ultimate socket A platform"

circa late 2004-2005 period. That can run xp and 98se.

I know a million other people have done it, but not with my own spin.

Attachments

Reply 32 of 97, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit...it's the only way to be sure."

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 97, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like a great build. Nice to see people experiment with what the P4 should have been to begin with. Seriously, what were Intel thinking when they made that Netburst thermonuclear disaster?

Spoiler
Paadam wrote on 2021-02-27, 09:26:

"Luke, I'm your father"

A little fun fact, Vader never said that, instead he said "No, I'm your father!".
Just another case of Mandela effect, I guess.

Reply 34 of 97, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2021-03-08, 22:57:

A little fun fact, Vader never said that, instead he said "No, I'm your father!".
Just another case of Mandela effect, I guess.[/details]

That's not quite it either. He says "I am" not "I'm."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwtaM0GC-js

Reply 36 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

small update.
That ramTurned out to be good over clockers after all and I just had PAT disabled
Also I tightened the timings a bit to 3-3-3-7 T1 @ 533 Mhz , Its completely stable @ 2.65 V
This is about the max the board can go so I'm happy.

My sanda memory bandwidth score went up by another roughly 250 points so ya. Ita about 4800 MBs now. @ 2.4ghz.

So its beating both the reference 915 and 925x with Pentium 4 extreme editions. in memory bandwidth test.

Not to shabby.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1062.JPG
    File size
    178.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 37 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

small update

I found this sort of decent OEM power supply. It's not amazing but the price was cheap and its period correct for the build.

spec sheet https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2686488.pdf

Sparkle ATX-450PN
Opened it up to check it looks fine.

Attachments

• ps2.jpg
    Filename
    ps2.jpg
    File size
    172.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • ps1.jpg
    Filename
    ps1.jpg
    File size
    133.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 39 of 97, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For Pentium M and AGP, at least 7600 GT, when using PCIe board (P4GPL-X or P4GD1) then as good as you want 😁

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)