VOGONS

Ultimate Intel 2004-2005 PC Pentium Build WIP

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A nice upgrade here over the Integrated Marvel controller. I bench marked it btw comparing the onboard controller to the Intel controller. While my testing wasn't all encompasing use case scenarios. I basically copied a DVD size file over the network to see which is faster the Intel was like 10 seconds faster. I even tried different settings. Then I tested CPU utilization and Intel won hands down. As the strongest settings on both marvell barely did anything. While the Intel strongest settings reduced full load to under 20% CPU utilization. I don't need 2 ports So ill just disable one. 🤣 its just what I had on hand.

Attachments

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-23, 04:19. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 61 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Graphics card is all cleaned up, replaced the thermal pads with the good blue 3m ones and the paste with some Noctua. Also lubed the fans with some 3n1 PTFE oil. During my testing this card has no issue doing a Ultra overclock in fact even after that it still seems to have a ton of head room. Golden Sample? idk great card. Since I did all of this. When I lower fan speed to like 40% it still Idles at like 45c at full power.

Attachments

• main.jpg
    Filename
    main.jpg
    File size
    25.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • floopy.jpg
    Filename
    floopy.jpg
    File size
    28.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • cd.jpg
    Filename
    cd.jpg
    File size
    83.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1095.jpg
    File size
    106.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-23, 23:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 62 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

more pics cable management still a bit rubbish

Attachments

Reply 63 of 97, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-03-23, 04:07:

My sexy case arrived awhile ago. I took apart the whole thing and gave it a bath. Motherboard is installed now the cable management nightmare begins.

🤣 I forgot the absolutely awful Engrish that ASUS used to have on their products before they became really commonplace.

Reply 65 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To Voodoo or not to Voodoo. Or should I voodoo on something else. Matched pair of Diamond Rev A. Your thoughts? or is it a waste of time.

Attachments

Reply 68 of 97, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-03-23, 04:03:

good luck?

Well, I did win it .. Now just need a couple of things like ..

Oh yeah, a board
And hey - I didn't have any PM's in my stash 🤣

Oh well, time is plenty 😉

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 69 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got around to installing 98se, its working just fine with 6800gt, audigy2zs, and 2gb ram with 250bg HDD.

Only thing I had a problem was had to swap out the dual port 1000MT with a normal single port 1000 MT desktop adapter. Since the drivers didn't work with the dual.

IDK if I will do voodoo SLI or not. But I want to get some heatsinks before I try it since I they will run hot with the system how fast it is.

Reply 70 of 97, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will build similar PC at some point and I plan to put V2 SLI in there.
As for the cooling - some extra airflow should be enough. Passive heatsinks on their own won't do much anyway. And there is also risk of the heatsink falling off one day... and it might short something on the card below and damage it.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 71 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bitchin Fast, and yah I plan on adding heatsinks to the voodoos and add a fan blowing on them.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    332.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    116.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    121.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    152.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 72 of 97, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Ultimate 2004 PC" - I believe the CT-479 adapter came out in 2005, so you couldn't have built a CT-479 based rig in 04. Also not sure if it would have been quite ultimate in 2005 either, it would have had to face off against the athlon 64 fx-57, which, while having similar ipc to the pentium M, is clocked at 2.8 ghz by default, not sure if the pentium M can overclock anywhere near this high?

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 73 of 97, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really sexy with the Voodoo2 SLI setup I must say Warlord 😊

God Of Gaming wrote on 2021-03-28, 19:34:

"Ultimate 2004 PC" - I believe the CT-479 adapter came out in 2005, so you couldn't have built a CT-479 based rig in 04. Also not sure if it would have been quite ultimate in 2005 either, it would have had to face off against the athlon 64 fx-57, which, while having similar ipc to the pentium M, is clocked at 2.8 ghz by default, not sure if the pentium M can overclock anywhere near this high?

You're right the CT-479 didnt come out untill 2005. Yes, they do overclock to 2,8ghz (my 780 is running at that speed) and at that kind of overclock it beats everything contemporary in gaming.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 74 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for clarification. I'll update the thread titles to Intel 2004-2005. Few people have got to 3ghz on LN2. Sure my individual rig might not be ultimate ultimate Pentium M rig but it is the best I can do. My opinion of course is my opinion not a fact. But its a fact it's faster than any Pentium 4 of that era and can match any of the offerings AMD had at the time, which is saying a lot. Considering its way more retro and interesting than any AMD platform.

Reply 75 of 97, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2021-03-09, 02:53:
TechieDude wrote on 2021-03-08, 22:57:

A little fun fact, Vader never said that, instead he said "No, I'm your father!".
Just another case of Mandela effect, I guess.[/details]

That's not quite it either. He says "I am" not "I'm."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwtaM0GC-js

Crap, you're right! Though that's mostly forgetfulness on my part.

Reply 76 of 97, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't remember what you CPU fan is called, did you have to do modifications to fit it? I see them for sale regularly and they look awesome in comparison to the stock one I use on my CT -479.

This is one of the big complains about the CT-479, that it is hard to fit normal CPU fans.

Reply 77 of 97, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LOVE THIS BUILD!!!!

So cool.

I want to see CPU-Z and benchmarks. I need to FEEL the pentium M being the pentium 4 that should have been. Ha. Athlon 64 fans eat your heart out 🤣

EDIT: Voodoo 2 sli too, it has it all.

Reply 78 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks, must just be a coincidence becasue I was getting ready to update this thread, probably tomorrow. It's hard to explain, so I have to post some pictures when its done.

You know how the case has those 2 intakes, on the bottom of the front of the case. Well I did something to take advantage of them , that is reminiscent of a performance intake on a sports car.

Long story short I went to the hardware store and bought this 4inch diameter pvc pipe. Its not just a strait pipe its a "T" pipe. As in it looks like a T. I had to cut it and there was a lot of custom fitting, that funnels cold air from the intakes and attached a 120mm fan at the back of it. So the 2 scoops funnel air from the right and left into a single 120mm fan to blow outside air on my voodoos.

I'll have to post pics tomorrow since its difficult to explain. I still need to get some heat sinks for my voodoos but now that I solved the issue of how I can mount a fan that actually works to cool my cards that part is next.

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-07-05, 03:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-07-04, 19:39:

I can't remember what you CPU fan is called, did you have to do modifications to fit it? I see them for sale regularly and they look awesome in comparison to the stock one I use on my CT -479.

This is one of the big complains about the CT-479, that it is hard to fit normal CPU fans.

Ya the mod for the fan, is there are these 2 brackets for mounting the heat sink on a P4. Trick is to flip them upside down so they clear the socket adapter. Then the heat sink retention clip normally would clip onto a socket or clip onto a mounting bracket It has to be modified so that it will screw down into the upside down brackets.

I had see it done a different way than I did it, my way was a lot cleaner and probably easier. Then you could do it without one but I put I think they were 1mm thick thermal pads around the die that were about even with the height of the die so the heatsink would mount even pressure.