VOGONS

Ultimate Intel 2004-2005 PC Pentium Build WIP

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Long awaited Vento 3600 Case mod. Pics Apologize for the blurry images, I think that you will get the idea though. This will suck cooler outside air from the front scoops and blow it into the PCI and AGP area. Allowing my Graphics card and voodoos to breath some.

Since the entire case is basically sealed with no other air intakes. The back pressure from the rear 120MM fan and the PSU Fan will further help pull more air through this contraption than the 30a front fan can alone.

Attachments

Reply 82 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks, the case looks artistic to the right person, but that comes with some serious flaws. You can tell they were onto something with the bottom 2 air intakes, but it was never executed. I don't know if it was cost or complexity but it was never working right with one 40mm fan blowing horizontally from the factory. the potential is there for a solution such as mine maybe it could of been better if it didn't seem like it was there for looks and the cooling didn't seem like and after thought.

Reply 84 of 97, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-07-20, 13:05:

Heatsinks arrived. probably not perfectly centered but not the worst. I'm sure they'll work just fine.

Looks better than mine 😁. The silver aluminum looks nice.

Reply 87 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3M thermal tape. Ya you could remove them, I didn't use glue. I'm not sure what the cure time is though. I was thinking of sitting them outside in the sun 1 afternoon just to make sure it gelled properly before installing them. They recommend twisting them back and forth a little while applying pressure for ridgy, I didn't want to do that too much.

Reply 90 of 97, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The original but still good, quiet and best air pressure, designed by Sanyo, the still the best fan maker. Predates the current Noctua fans.

The ones you can get on ebay is still selling at high price even used.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 92 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this fan controller for the 3 fans in the system. it was 15.00 including shipping. so cheaper than anything else I could find basically.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    Filename
    f.jpg
    File size
    348.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • b.jpg
    Filename
    b.jpg
    File size
    219.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 94 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some progress. I have another fan controller this time and it works properly. I might get some thermistors for it since it supports 4 of them. But I don't need them. I got the custom fan I made installed and the heatsinks on the voodoos. Surprisingly they don't even get warm. Also I don't experience any of the problems other people have with running voodoo2 on fast cpu. Them getting hot and bugging out and what not. This Thing goes balls to the wall and its more stable than any of my other rigs it seems like.

The 6800gt on the other hand is a little space heater all on its own. Even after repasting it and finding the right thinkness thermal pads it still idles at 60c and under load 70c on 98se. This is a factory overclocked model however and from what I gather the 71xx drivers do run hotter especially under 9x, from everything I've seen this is normal.

Also I ran some 3dmark 99 bench on the voodoo and verified that ya it's in line with a V3 3000, maybe slightly faster on this rig. I can post them up but they are what you would expect to see.

Lastly I pulled out the creative cancer card, and replaced it with a SQ2500. I'm looked for another non creative pci card to pair it with if anyone have suggestions. Preferable something with better EAX that the a3d.

Attachments

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-08-23, 05:44. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 95 of 97, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even after repasting it and finding the right thinkness thermal pads it still idles at 60c and under load 70c on 98se.

That's perfectly normal for a card without energy efficiency features. Separate 2D/3D modes added with FX series were hardly useful for that.

But! You can do software voltmod on reference GeForce 6800/GT/Ultra cards. Reducing voltage to 1.1v should help without reducing stability on default 350 Mhz.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 97 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not too bad. I used official drivers. If I used fast voodoo I could maybe get higher.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    135.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg