VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Earlier in the year, just before the pandemic woes struck, I saw an IBM case in a recycler's inventory. He usually sells me motherboards, CPUs and expansion cards he salvages from PCs and I am rarely interested in the cases as they are often in terrible shape by the time they reach him, but this one caught my eye. I had no idea what (if anything at all) was in it, but I had it shipped to me at a very modest cost. This is what it looked like when I received it:

IBM-PS1-2155-593-Original-State-01.jpg

IBM-PS1-2155-593-Original-State-02.jpg IBM-PS1-2155-593-Original-State-03.jpg IBM-PS1-2155-593-Original-State-05.jpg

It is from November 1993 and actually has a fairly neat configuration, top of the line for the IBM PS/1 products unless I am mistaken:

IBM-PS1-2155-593-Original-State-04.jpg

Upon opening the case up, I found that it actually had most of the components, as well as having been upgraded to 16MB of RAM. It was, however, missing the 3.5" Floppy/HDD drive cage and case spine part (which may have very well been missing from the factory as some of these boxes apparently shipped with 5.25" combi floppies instead) and the hard drive. Everything else, including the riser card, was present. I decided it would be worth salvaging and restoring, so many months later I got down to it.

First order of business was disassembly and a deep cleaning as the thing has apparently been a home to many different kinds of pests. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of the mess it was before I got to work, but this is how the motherboard ended up:

IBM-PS1-2155-593-Motherboard-01.jpg

Quite a beautiful motherboard if you ask me. Next up, it was time for some retrobrighting:

IBM-PS1-2155-593-Retrobright-01.jpg

I replaced the missing drive cage to a 3D printed plastic part which did the job quite well. Instead of a real floppy drive, I opted for an OLED and buzzer modded Flash-Floppy GOTEK. I replaced the Hard Drive with a 512MB CF-IDE onto which I copied over a 1994 factory image from a US PS/1 Multimedia onto it. I also added a Samsung 40x CD-ROM and a Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2290 to the system.

It turned out rather well, if I may say so myself..

IBM-PS1-2155-593-01.jpg

IBM-PS1-2155-593-02.jpg IBM-PS1-2155-593-03.jpg IBM-PS1-2155-593-04.jpg IBM-PS1-2155-593-05.jpg IBM-PS1-2155-593-06.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by tman_sys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, so good to see this model! This was the same PS/1 that I purchased from Circuit City back in late September of '94 as a birthday gift to myself. It was my very first PC and helped me launch my IT career. What great memories of this fine machine. Sadly, in 2015 I lost the entire system in a tragic house fire. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on this model again...hint hint 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was many versions of the IBM PS/1. It all depended on what store you purchased it form.
There was at least 5 different versions.
They all had different motherboards.
Some came with a 486sx-25 or 33 onboard with an Intel Overdrive socket and then there are those that came with a
486dx-50 or 66 like yours with a standard CPU socket.

These are my favorite 486 computers because they look so clean and simple with all the covers closed.
Also the original IBM install came with allot of tools and batch files for maintaining the computer
Four ease of use. That what set IBM apart from everyone else. Not just that they had the best hardware for there time.
But ease of use setup and menu system included with there operating system.

I use the 1994 VLB multimedia edition.
https://ps1stuff.wordpress.com/download/downl … -for-type-2133/

Also the “Multimedia edition” came with the following specs.
486dx2-50
8mb ram
64kb motherboard cache
2x Panasonic CDROM
Sound blaster CT2950
270mb hard drive.

This is the type of configuration computer manufactures where selling back in 1993/94

But I would not worry about motherboard cache or CPU upgrade.
It’s a 486 and NOT a Pentium CPU computer.
The only CPU upgrade that will make any difference is the Pentium Overdrive 83mhz.
But these are very expensive and rare to day.
Better to build a Pentium computer for that.

I would keep it original as possible as a 486dx-66 computer.

Reply 3 of 3, by tman_sys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Agreed. This system had a lot of bells and whistles which is why it made for a great first computer for me. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I learned from breaking the software and using it's native repair tools to restore. Moreover were the countless upgrades I put into my old system.

I had the Multimedia version as I distinctly remember the logo sticker it had on the top of the case just above the CD-ROM bay. Similar logo that is on the Multimedia CD-ROM. Don't see too may of those these days but I would sure scoop one up in a heartbeat.

I landed an alternate model a month or so ago, which will have to do for now to cure the itch. I'm with you...I just want it all stock with DOS/Windows 3.1 the way it came from Circuit City when i bought it.

Cheers!