VOGONS

Socket 370 VIA C3 Retro DOS PC

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 63, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got to know from the seller that the C3 CPU is 600 MHz which seems to be a Samuel core. Any idea how Samuel cores fare with speed steps?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 61 of 63, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-12-01, 10:52:

Just got to know from the seller that the C3 CPU is 600 MHz which seems to be a Samuel core. Any idea how Samuel cores fare with speed steps?

According to CPUShack, there's really no major change between the Samuel 2 core and the Ezra aside from a smaller .13 micron process, lower voltage / power requirements and higher clock speed. But a Samuel 2 is a big jump over the Samuel core.

You may be able to identify the core based on bus freq, cpu speed and core voltage. These numbers are usually on the face of the CPU. If you post those details, we could identify the core from the CPUShack page I've linked below.

A great info resource of VIA C3 processors: https://www.x86-guide.net/en/cpu/VIA-C3.html
Another great page to help identify the VIA C3 processors: https://cpushack.com/VIA.html

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 62 of 63, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
enaiel wrote on 2021-12-01, 13:38:
According to CPUShack, there's really no major change between the Samuel 2 core and the Ezra aside from a smaller .13 micron p […]
Show full quote

According to CPUShack, there's really no major change between the Samuel 2 core and the Ezra aside from a smaller .13 micron process, lower voltage / power requirements and higher clock speed. But a Samuel 2 is a big jump over the Samuel core.

You may be able to identify the core based on bus freq, cpu speed and core voltage. These numbers are usually on the face of the CPU. If you post those details, we could identify the core from the CPUShack page I've linked below.

A great info resource of VIA C3 processors: https://www.x86-guide.net/en/cpu/VIA-C3.html
Another great page to help identify the VIA C3 processors: https://cpushack.com/VIA.html

Thanks enaiel. I recently got the C3 cpu. However the motherboard which I got now is a different one. The seller first tested the MS 6368 board with the C3 cpu but it never posted (I noticed it was an OEM board despite the same model name). So he placed the CPU in another board - M6VLR v3 and it worked. It is a similar board as the 6368. Has the same chipset, south bridge, integrated audio, VGA as well as ability to modify the audio settings in BIOS.

I installed win 98 with the board. Next installed the via vga driver which worked. After that, tried installing the Via hyperion driver, but the installation was failing midway. So installed the via 4 in 1 drivers (v .43). This was successful.

Now comes the problem. While trying to install the via audio drivers, none of them worked. Tried installing Avanace_45 win 95 driver, Avanace_510 win 98 driver, VT82C686X_4 (R1 WDM) driver, etc, but in vain. After installing the win 95 driver, was only getting a cracking sound. The speaker icon is present on the task bar, the device manager shows the installed drivers for Avanace, but audio is not working. Also tried installing the dos driver under pure dos mode, but no sound as well. This board does not even have a pc speaker to test. I am assuming this to be an issue with the onboard audio itself (IC probably). But surprisingly the device manager does not show any error/conflict at all. Please let me know if you had faced any such problem and also the audio drivers you used for your installation (my board has the VT1612A chip). Thank you.

PS: I changed the IRQ in the bios from 5 to 7 and also enabled Legacy sound blaster support prior to installing the audio drivers. Could this in any way cause issues?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 63 of 63, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-12-13, 07:57:
Thanks enaiel. I recently got the C3 cpu. However the motherboard which I got now is a different one. The seller first tested th […]
Show full quote

Thanks enaiel. I recently got the C3 cpu. However the motherboard which I got now is a different one. The seller first tested the MS 6368 board with the C3 cpu but it never posted (I noticed it was an OEM board despite the same model name). So he placed the CPU in another board - M6VLR v3 and it worked. It is a similar board as the 6368. Has the same chipset, south bridge, integrated audio, VGA as well as ability to modify the audio settings in BIOS.

I installed win 98 with the board. Next installed the via vga driver which worked. After that, tried installing the Via hyperion driver, but the installation was failing midway. So installed the via 4 in 1 drivers (v .43). This was successful.

Now comes the problem. While trying to install the via audio drivers, none of them worked. Tried installing Avanace_45 win 95 driver, Avanace_510 win 98 driver, VT82C686X_4 (R1 WDM) driver, etc, but in vain. After installing the win 95 driver, was only getting a cracking sound. The speaker icon is present on the task bar, the device manager shows the installed drivers for Avanace, but audio is not working. Also tried installing the dos driver under pure dos mode, but no sound as well. This board does not even have a pc speaker to test. I am assuming this to be an issue with the onboard audio itself (IC probably). But surprisingly the device manager does not show any error/conflict at all. Please let me know if you had faced any such problem and also the audio drivers you used for your installation (my board has the VT1612A chip). Thank you.

PS: I changed the IRQ in the bios from 5 to 7 and also enabled Legacy sound blaster support prior to installing the audio drivers. Could this in any way cause issues?

Unfortunately I only run DOS on this machine. What driver did you install in pure DOS mode? For DOS, I simply enabled Legacy SB support, and used this VIASBCFG utility to configure the chipset. Can you give that a shot?

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50